Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But you have no idea what the actual numbers are pertaining to what this scheme encompasses, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

Thank you for implicitly accepting that I was not being obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Still the same price. Nothings changed. Thought the Aldi (Fever Tree copy) Tonic Water might have had the logo on the cans (150ml x 8 pack) but no sign of it yet and price also the same.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

Re-Turn playing a blinder on Facebook. Whoever is copy n pasting these replies must be having a right laugh telling people if you don't like it you can feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well I personally won't be engaging with this nonsense. The amount of flaws and issues that have been exposed in even its first few days of operation is ridiculous - from a system that was supposedly just copied from successful systems elsewhere!

I'll continue to dispose of all my domestic rubbish in the council landfill which is a lot more convenient and cheaper for me than the expensive multiple bins option.

All this is is another tax that I'll have to suck up. I'll just cut back somewhere else. One less 500 ml bottle of Coke from a garage when I'm away from home for example would nearly make back the "deposit" amount on 18 cans of the same thing.

I think I can handle that vs the nonsense suggestion of roaming the town with a bag of empty cans looking for a machine that'll be working, available when I get there, and accept them.

I'll leave that to those who need the warm and fuzzies from showing how eco-conscious and compliant they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

Thats an excellent idea. Think I'll cancel a streaming sub, use the blue bin as before and just forget about it. Life's too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's it exactly. I have far better things to do with my time than worry about the equivalent cost of a 500ml bottle of Coke.

One less takeaway delivery a month would cover the "deposit" on a whole month's worth of Coke slabs. In fact I just cancelled Amazon Prime myself this month with their imminent plans to include ads unless I pay more. I'm already over halfway there!

This latest scam is another "seen to be doing something" exercise in a country renowned for them. It's inconvenient, it's expensive to the consumer and it'll enrich yet another quango... and ultimately it'll make f-all difference to "de environment" as those who litter/dump now will still do so, and at global scale it'll change nothing when developing countries do whatever they feel like!

Pass.. Life is indeed too short for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

That would be a relatively low volume sku. That wont be a priority in terms of roll out for Coca-Cola i wouldnt imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Well tbh I can't see bottlers bottling 150ml when they can avoid the scheme by reducing the volume.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭bmc58

Dunnes are charging on alcahol cans that have no return logo already.Supervisor in my local Dunnes tried to persuade me today that some tiny logo on a can of Devils Bit cider was THE return logo .I paid the 15c charge ,but I can't wait to put the can in the return machine tomorrow.I have the recipt also.PS,I also bought a couple cans of Bulmers with NO return charge.But when at home I saw the same logo was on the Bulmers cans.The supervisor was in my opinion was spoofing and didnt have a clue.Or maybe Dunnes were pulling a fast one ,they would never.Tomorrow will reveal all when I return the can of Devils Bit for my 15c refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

@bmc58 why wait til tomorrow - check both now on link below (scroll down a bit to see barcode checker). Good chance the Bulmers will work, the Devils but not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

4 pack 00 Guinness bought in petrol station and charged extra 60cent, but cans have no re return label or barcode...

Is it normal for this to be happing?

Is the general bar code the same for packs with and without the return code...

Should the shop have checked cans and remove the deposit, if it's an old stock?

Actually just found this in website

1 February there will be some stock of plastic bottles and cans that may not feature the Re-turn logo. Should consumers be charged a deposit on these drinks containers, please be assured that you will get your deposit back when you return to RVM

Does that mean I could have been saving old cans and get money back?

How long is the exception for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I am still crushing my old cans as old stock and no deposit charged. Check the barcode and if its not there bring items back with receipt.

There is no bar code on the CAN itself, only on the box it came it.

Does that mean these old cans are not exempt and a refund will be given?

How is anyone supposed to know this when buying, all seems a bit ....??

Any went back to shop as I posted above and asked for CANs with the barcode, Re return refund or what they had to say. They gave back to 60cent...this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If there's no barcode, it cannot be accepted by a RVM and no shop should be charging a deposit on it.

There's shops that are just charging on everything cause they don't understand the scheme and/or think they can make a few quid on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,156 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do you get your deposit back in cash at shop counter or as credit?

I got charged for water in Tesco no re turn logo

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Voucher you can exchange for cash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Would normally purchase a bottle of water/can of coke most days during the week but haven't at all this week. Would also get 6 cans of beer for this Friday evening most weekends, but now I won't be doing that either. Should be able to keep this new money saving system up and 'live' from now on myself.

Thanks Re-turn.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

You pay your deposit to the shop. You are simply returning them to same shop. I’m altruistic like that, shop can then recycle them too, so it’s a green initiative too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nope. It's the shop that pays the deposit, that deposit then gets built into the cost of the product. Your deposit resides with re-turn.

The shop have already fulfilled their obligation, the loop is closed for them. They have to display the deposit on the sticker price, and have a sign stating they are exempt with a QR code directing you to the nearest RVM.

It's the reality for the vast majority of retail.

Sadly shop staff are going to get dogs abuse over this incoherent mess as the CEO pops up every now again and tells people to contact re-turn with any problems. He might as well be saying contact Jesus. Same net result.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

I brought back some cans yesterday that were sitting in the recycling. I hadn't paid a deposit on any of them. The Brewdog cans went through the machine OK but the Lidl multipack ones didn't as they don't have a barcode on the individual cans. Dumped the Lidl cans in the recycling bin. Tore up the 60c voucher. Both machines working and were easy to use. Shopping bag stinks of beer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

For the first time in my life I walked way from buying my usual fizzy poison. 3.15 a bottle is just madness. Tesco - seems they have added their own little price bump on the products along with the 25c. Stopped in the petrol station for the same thing - 3.25. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Not sure if this was asked if a bottle or can gets rejected by the machine is it returned to you to take away ?

Of course, can’t expect a recycling company to recycle it.

If the machine took it, you could throw anything in the RVM and contaminate it. It makes zero sense to accept a "rejected" container.

The machine will know it’s a can. It’ll reject based on a dent or incorrect barcode. Absolute scam.

• Advertisement

If the machine rejects it based on shape recognition, how will it know its a can?. Its not a human, its a piece of code. These things wont have Machine Learning or be trained to that level. You could slap a barcode on anything and it would be accepted. That makes no sense to allow.

If its rejected on weight, then the can is dirty? Why would it accept it?

If its rejected on the barcode, how will it know what the item is supposed to be? Why would it accept it.

It makes zero sense for a machine to accept a rejected can (or bottle). Manual returns is a different story because well....there's a person there.

There's zero "scam" in an RVM not taking in a rejected can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement