Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What is the point of this if the cans can't be reused?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,350 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wait wrong end of the stick.. this is rejected cans only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Why would you throw money away by putting a rejected ReTurn can in a bin? What about your deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Well I wouldn't and I have said do a few times on this thread even as lately as yesterday.

If I get a can rejected I'll take it home and try it in another machine some other day.

If that doesn't work I'll hold on to it in the hope of using a manual exchange somewhere.

I know not many would go to the bother but that's just me.

What we were discussing was the suggestion that shops should provide bins beside the RVM for rejects.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Will there be a list of manual return outlets I wonder

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

Yeah but they have a cheek if they do decide to do with, putting a recycling bin for rejected cans. its a bit of a piss take.

Going the route for rejected and unacceptable cans, for every 1 ton of cans, they can get €1000 free! or €1 for every kilogram (58-65 cans). It's litrely throwing money away.

if a manual exchange don't accept it then give it to me please lol. i might want to experiment with the can, especially it's logo and barcode ;)

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Oh right, how do you get the cans home undammaged in the evenings then?

cans are allowed to be damaged in the home domestic recycling bins, does'nt matter if damaged. it's only the new scheme that requires them undamged

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

Undamaged! 🤣🤣

Its definitely about saving the environment though. Not to enforce a stealth tax and make it as awkward as possible to reclaim. No sir! 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

How else would an automated system work? It needs to be able to scan the barcode to ensure its a registered product and then it needs to do shape recognition to ensure someone hasn't put sellotaped a barcode to a different container.

Small dents etc in cans is generally fine from my experience. It's also very easy to fix a can or bottle that has small damage.

It's not intentionally made difficult to reclaim the 15c. It's an anti fraud method that makes sense. Look at America where in some places these checks are not in place, massive fraud.

• Advertisement

its not about saving the environment, its about the irish government winning the [removed by mods for being too offensive] contest EU recycling numbers race, and reaching some target goal. The stealth tax is half of the battle. Did you know 50-65ish cans = 1 euro in metal recycling centre? thats like almost 2 cent per can, they're currently offering €1000 per ton, no joke.

its PR and business under the guise of recycling, and politics with the EU thing. if it was REALLY about the environment, they would not be wasting all that electric insisting the machines stay powered up, despite being unavailable to us until feb 1st. They really contradict themself.

Also if it was about caring for the enviroment then they should still be willing to give like atleast 5 cent for rejected/damaged cans. And all cans without the descrimination of them being label only. 2 cans for 5 cent seems okay.

Also the reason they want the cans clean before being recycled is that they get more money for them. They even admitted to selling the metal from the cans and said they don't recycle them themself.

We're in agreement buddy. Just in case it's not clear enough I was being sarcastic. Of course its a racket. The deluded on here keep repeating "but its for the environment" which of course can be argued but that doesn't mean you ignore everything that's rotten about this scheme. Its bizarre really.

I don't know what point you're making.

The cans not being damaged is anti fraud and to ensure cans only are accepted (plastic bottles too)

Thank you, also my apologies, as my sarcasm detector has been rendered useless due to alot of the people here calling me delusional or a liar and trying to make the whole thing into something personal. Been here since page 30 or 40 of this thread, i feel i deserve a medal or trophy of some kind of making it through this far lol.

All joking aside, this scheme itself is an outright scam and demands free work from people under the coercion of holding their deposit money ransom in exchange for partaking in this. They win either way, where the public only break even at best. its a punishment based incentive rather than a reward based one like the trials had. This new scheme has no profit to be made for consumers, unless you bring back cans/bottles someone else purchased.

i'm interested in seeing how this scheme turns out. if you're interested in some comedy gold creative recycling ideas, there are a few "delboy nonsense" schemes inspirational ideas many pages back, as some have previously called them. Like really random creative ideas on how to benefit from the scheme and dozens of fictional scenarios along with some funny reactions given by other people. One of my favorite suggestions given, would have to be the "wear a splash of brute aftershave and go chat up the barrista for free cans to go claim the deposit on" or "looking in bins for free cans" as another happy enthusiastic reader suggested. There was even talks of getting waste collection licences and going door-to-door for the purpose of collecting the cans and bottles of people who can't (or are unwilling) to go deposit the cans themself, buying them for 5 cent each or something and then profitting off of the deposits. Still though it's all being looked into currently, and being considered the configurations in a legal sense to turn it into something legitmate and profitable on a more mass scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

40 years ago we paid for bottles and got our deposit back when left back to the shop.

I see no difference in the can recycling as we pay extra when bought and get payed when returning them , but i do see they are more brittle to handle.

If it gets some litter off the streets it has to be a Win Win.

Squeeze a full sealed carbonated can, then squeeze an empty can. See if you notice any difference.

I honestly can’t believe this has to be explained to someone.

Put the barcode on the base of the can? When you crush cans this is the hardest part and normally stays intact

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Base of can is reflective metal so a barcode could not be read off it.

That's not easy to do. You'd have to design an entire new manufacturing line for that. Design an entirely new way of wrapping cans etc.

Of course, you won't accept a sensible answer.

• Advertisement

Thats a really creative idea, i like it. i have seen some can bases with a non-reflective matte type surface. Sometimes they're reflective but that should'nt be an issue once the barcode is printed. Sometimes barcodes are reflective like that of sprite zero and the newish long can version of the sugar free fanta. i think there was even halloween cans at one point.

what i'm thinking of more as in issue could be the shape of the base of some cans, as alot of cans have a circular indent (but there's also a couple of flat based cans out there, they should take note of these).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

40 years ago we didn't have a perfectly good existing recycling system for those bottles and what's more a perfectly good existing recycling system that we pay good money for...... that's the rub in large part. The extra unneeded hassle and likely extra costs for bins.

All of the can is reflective metal until it’s painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,639 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lots of cans are wrapped or stickered not painted (so can't go over the bottom); and I also suspect there would be significant issues with the bottom of the can getting abraded as it goes through production lines.

You'd be looking at developing an entirely new type of RVM with readers for that location; and requiring producers to use entirely different production and packaging systems for the cans; kit that likely doesn't actually exist as it currently stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was thinking that but then you said

I use a small backpack, on a bus and train. 0%. Chance of cans not being crushed a bit, especially if it’s full

Which threw me a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

I think the being full was a reference to the back pack and not the can(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭howiya

On your last para, of course it has been made intentionally difficult to reclaim the deposit.

A real life example from tonight. Went to Croke Park.

On the way to the bus I purchased a 500ml bottle of coke zero. Drank it en route. Got off bus at stop nearest to Croke Park which happens to be across the road from a shop. However this shop won't be taking returns. So if I want to reclaim the deposit I will have to bring the bottle to the game and then home again and store it until I go to a large enough shop.

If that's not intentionally difficult I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭con747

What about putting the bar code on the top of the can where peoples bottom lip rest when drinking out of them though. The same with plastic bottles. It is usually very hard to squash that part of a can and more robust on a bottle. I am unsure if this has been asked but if you return to a certain supermarket chain are you restricted to spending the voucher in the same shop or any shop of that chain If anyone knows.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

You can return your scheme eligible recyclables to any store with an RVM regardless of where you originally purchased them, However once you have put them into the machine and gotten your little deposit print out voucher paper thingy, you're restricted to only being able to cash it in that same store you got the deposit voucher in. You can use the voucher to get x amount off a purchase being made in that store, or you can redeem it for cash and spent the cash anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭con747

So if I return to say Tesco in one town can I use that voucher in any other Tesco in another town for shopping or is that just for the cash refund you are restricted to the same store?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement