Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new recycling system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭bren2001

The machines don’t have the ability to read the ReTurn logo. The logo is irrelevant to the RVM, they only read the barcode and perform a series of other tests.

I’d guess the barcode of these and those with the ReTurn logo are identical. If they only sell in Ireland, that’s no issue and I’d expect that to be fairly common with craft beers to not update to a new barcode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭JVince

Ah FFS, will you stop making up utter sh1te.

There is zero extra costs in having two different skus. It's quite a normal concept.

Simple example - pack of Mikado marked €2.50, and exact same pack but without the €2.50 printed price.

Two different barcodes.

Simple and very very normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

what you mean, there's eye level camera's now? i imagined it to be an overhead view. i'm not afraid of any cameras anyway because i don't do anything wrong. if a camera picks up an accident or misplaced can, thats all fair and good. if a person returns many cans its possible for them to have a non-return can or 2 by accident amoung the rest ;)

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Looks like they're tryna make a bit of money on the side, and get in on the action. its quite laughable to be honest. i imagine would require a manual return at the counter for deposit

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

i have a small theory, maybe all the barcodes are the same and the RVM machines can't read the re-turn logo just yet?

• Advertisement

More rubbish.

Is this thread full of people who suddenly got taken in by the flat earth society and believe any and every piece of sh1te and drivel made up by fools?

Logo simply gives the consumer an easy to identify mark to know a deposit has been paid for the container.

As repeated time and time again. This is a carbon copy of the Danish system which is hugely successful. Even the same machines

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

We've no transport [our choice] and the good lady does a weekly shop every Wednesday in our large local Tesco store - guess what? - earlier she went to grab a few cans of my favourite tipple - all sold out (same goes for my second and third choice of brews)

Nearest RVM is Lidl, so in future I'll troop around with a large bag of pristine empties only to find the machine full, so I've no choice to either return home or haul a bag of empties around while grabbing a few groceries.

are you saying the RVM machine does'nt look for the return logo? or you mean just at the count they won't gonna check if manual returning the cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,625 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Rustbucket barcode - 5391524746044 - is on the International Barcode list (there's a copy on the RGDATA site, I linked to it a few days ago) which means Kinnegar are paying a slight premium on the producer fee to cover using the same barcode for products that may not have the deposit paid.

That means that it will work in any RVM.

I did notice that when Lidl were clearly off other Kinnegar stock that Rustbucket was not discounted - cause its the one I normally buy (I got the barcode off a crushed up can from my recycle bin). Presumably the other Kinnegar stuff is getting new domestic barcodes + logos in that case.

In the photo, the other readable thing that has the note is Galway Bay Full Sail. That's inaccurate, as Full Sail cans have the logo. And have had *since August* in the case of some cans I got. In Lidl.

Post edited by L1011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The sold out situation is possibly due to old non logo stock selling out and they couldn't re-stock with logo stock until tomorrow.

Are you sure the Tesco doesn't have an RVM ?

• Advertisement

yeah but they could have printed off stickers with the return logo and just slapped than on their stock

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

AFAIK Tesco, Lidl and SuperValu have the machines installed locally. Like I mentioned she only does one Tesco shop a week. Who was to know, nothing stopping shops selling old stock off without this logo at the old RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Maybe better then to recycle on shopping day rather than make a separate trip.

Nothing to stop them selling off old non logo stock up to June 1st if they had it.

But they can't sell logo stock and charge a deposit until tomorrow.

i have a question: if there's a shop a person does not like, is it better to bring back the bottles there to their RVM? or would that be doing them a favor?

The reason i ask this is because i read 2 pieces of conflicting information somewhere. 1 may be untrue im not sure

1) somewhere i recall seeing that the store makes 2.2 cent off of each return.

2) somewhere else someone said that if a store does not reach 500,000 returned cans/bottles in the first year they get given 3000€ grant for free! and then after the second year if they still have not reached that number of returns, then an additional €2000 they get from re-turn, and for the 3rd year if they still don't reach that many, then an additional 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Haven't read all of this thread but can some tell me is this price increase (which to me it is as I already recycle all bottles and cans in my green bin) applied to all cans and milk bottles? So for example the 6 pack come zero that yesterday was 6.60 is now going to cost me 7.50? And milk is going up by 15c also? For a 2l bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

@BoardsBottler interesting question.

I think you can act like you would as a customer, and give your "trade" to the one you like / walk past the one you don't.

Your RVM transaction nets the retailer 2.2c as you say, it's the same ballpark "profit" difference to them as buying say a bag of crisps, a bar of chocolate or a litre of diesel.

I wouldn't complicate it with the govt scheme (it's 250,000 or less p.a. I think), if they are that low they are losing more money than the max €6k they get ... So they need your cans even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yes to the 6 pack of Coke Zero.

No to the milk 2-litre - doesn't apply to dairy products.

The re-turn logo is for you to easily identify the returnable containers.

The machine reads the barcode which is uploaded into their system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jj880

I think this scheme is a racket and an unnecessary pain in the hole for those who already recycle these items. That said Im still interested to see exactly how it will work in practice. Heading to a big Aldi later today in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,002 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

From 1 February, 2024, when you buy a drink featuring the Re-turn logo, you will be charged a small deposit  in addition to the price of the drink

From 1 February, 2024, when you purchase a drink featuring the Re-turn logo and pay your deposit fee, you will get a full refund on returning the empty, undamaged container to any retail outlet that sells drinks with the Re-turn logo.

So I take it what Lidl are doing is actually illegal?

• Advertisement

What law are they breaking? Kinnegar opted for an international barcode. Lidl are clearly telling you that it would be accepted at any RVM.

Do Lidl not have authority to charge what they want for a can once it meets MUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

If the barcode scans the machine will take it so there's no money being made

It's amazing how the smallest things bother some people

How do you know they opted for an international barcode? Appears to be 3 separate products in that picture.

Can you point where opting for an "international barcode" precludes the item from having to display the re-turn logo?

Again, I don't see any Asterix here.

From 1 February, 2024, when you buy a drink featuring the Re-turn logo, you will be charged a small deposit  in addition to the price of the drink

From 1 February, 2024, when you purchase a drink featuring the Re-turn logo and pay your deposit fee, you will get a full refund on returning the empty, undamaged container to any retail outlet that sells drinks with the Re-turn logo.

See post #2894 for details on the international barcode.

In the photo I see the can costs €3.25 not €3.10 + €0.15 or do my eyes deceive me?

What if a bottle doesn’t have the Re-turn logo?

While bottles with the logo will be appearing on shelves from 1 February, it is likely that they will be being sold alongside old stock without the logo in stores. 

Producers have until 15 March to put the bottles with the logo in store, and retailers have until the end of May to sell the old stock. 

As bottles without the Re-turn logo are not eligible in the scheme, they should be recycled normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭creedp

It's also amazing how some people will denigrate any comment that isn't positive towards their latest pet project. Why should anybody agree to pay a Return deposit on a container not bearing the Return logo?

You don't have to buy the product if you don't want to. Free will and all that

Post doesn't address my question, that is why I asked you.

So Lidl are selling cans without the deposit but you can get the deposit back, is that what you are claiming?

• Advertisement

You seem to want to hop on the smallest thing but still don't want to prove your points, why is that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement