Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this tree gone?

Options
  • 06-12-2023 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Wondering if this tree is dead? Builder of the estate planted around 2 years ago, I believe it to be an Acer. Others planted on the same row of houses are flying up, this one hasn’t showed any signs of growth, apart from a few leaves in summer, since moving in. Thoughts are appreciated 😎

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

If the tree is dead it will have no green under the surface if your scratch one of the branches. The branches would also be brittle and easy to snap if you bend them. No leaves on lots of deciduous trees now so can't tell if it is dead from just the photo. Leaves in summer would indicate being alive. I find trees can take a couple of years to settle in a new planting position before starting to grow properly.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What macraignil said; within the limitations of a photo of a winter tree, it looks ok. Could you remove the clump of bulbs all round the stem without damaging the tree roots? Then add a mulch around it (not actually on the trunk), not fertilizer at this time of year, just bark mulch or similar, that might help it. I don't think trees need feeding usually, but a feed in spring might encourage it.

If the builder put them in it is quite possible it is sitting on a lump of concrete or the remains of a builder's sand heap. Give it another season anyway before you give up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

Looks like a Libertia rather than a clump of bulbs, don't think it or they are causing any problem anyway.

The tree itself looks ok to me, still dark brown wood rather lighter coloured dead wood.

As above some trees can be just slow to establish for no particular reason, then suddenly take off. Give it a feed of granular fertilizer in the spring and see how it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭billyhead

Get manure and put it around the base. Looks like it's just wintered to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ttnov77

To what was said previously I would only add that if its already 2 years since plating I would remove or at least ease the tree tie this year and remove in following year. Tree ties should never be so tight as the tree does not have any incentive to grow strong roots if does not rock slightly, it will also start choking the tree by cutting into bark. Trees transport nutrient and water underneath the bark so cutting into it will severely restrict this and kill the tree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement