Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sellafield Leaking?

• 06-12-2023 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭

I just came across this article online re ongoing issues at Sellafield and the accusation that our government are well aware of the issues. Seems serious on a first reading, so I was surprised it doesn't seem to be being widely discussed. That being said once I looked a bit more The Guardian seems very focused on Sellafield at the moment with articles related to toxic work culture at Sellafield and accusations of a hack taking place. Ulterior motive perhaps?

Original article I read;

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/05/sellafield-nuclear-site-leak-could-pose-risk-to-public

it seems to be being played down here...

https://www.thejournal.ie/sellafield-nuclear-power-plant-cumbria-leak-irish-government-play-down-6242084-Dec2023/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I remember the warnings about that place 30+ years ago.

We are certainly due another nuclear disaster.

If the Postman/woman arrives with a box of iodine tablets we may need to panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

Sellafield/Windscale is always leaking, the question is how much. There have been many 'issues' from fires, air filters, water discharges, falsified records and radioactive pigeons etc.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭CrazyEric

Sellafield has and always will be a problem. A 2003 article.

From raised cancer rates to possible raised levels of Downs Syndrome births, there are worrying implications from leakage and supposed acceptable levels of Radiation. The British Government has continuously swept this under the carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well yeah. For decades they were pumping the stuff out into the Irish Sea on purpose so a bit of a leak here and there, on their doorstep not ours, is a big meh from me

Nearly all articles of this type are scaremongering and display a complete ignorance of science. A Chernobyl-type accident at Sellafied is impossible, it has had no working reactors for 20 years. Worst possible case scenario is some local contamination but they had that before!

Needs to be emphasised that nuclear energy was always a sideshow at best at Windscale/Sellafied, it is a cold war nuclear weapons plant really and little or no thought was given then about how to deal wth waste or even store it safely. Designing reactors that used magnesium-clad fuel was a work of anti-genius, magnesium reacts with both water and air and can produce explosive hydrogen, and burns fiercely if ignited, it's bad enough of a chemical/fire hazard on its own without sticking nuclear fuel inside it.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement