Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a sidecar

Options
  • 07-12-2023 6:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

Does anyone know if you can use a sidecar with a learner permit? I'm aware you can't take pillion passengers but is it different for a sidecar? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No... If you ou desperately need a passenger, just get a car...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

I don't think you'd be allowed pillions in it as a sidecar motorcycle is still Category A and the rules say no

T

• Registered Users Posts: 35,054 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A sidecar passenger isn't a pillion passenger though, not required to wear a helmet!

I'm pretty sure there's no provision for a learner to ride a sidecar here (even without passengers) although it's a possibility for those who are medically restricted to three-wheeled vehicles in class A.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Well, it's a question in the insurance application, so just fill it in and see what feedback you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I know of a guy who recently got a sidecar sorted out for himself. He spent a lot of money on it (the build was done in the UK using a Yamaha XJR as the base) but found it really tough to get type-certification here with Revenue, in particular, not knowing how to classify it for import duties.

He's got it on the road now but it's a whole different experience to riding two-wheels. He's a good rider but he ended up going through a hedge into someone's front garden on his second spin (no one was hurt but pride!).

• Advertisement
Advertisement