Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network setup leased premises

Options
  • 07-12-2023 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Hi, we have just taken on a new business and leasing the premises, the current network set up needs to be changed as the network is running upstairs to the owners private dwelling as they used to have the office there and lots of the current ethernet points aren't working anyway. The current cabling is quite old I would say as well

There will be

3 points of sale and

3 connected visa machines

2 to 3 display screens

Laptop & printer shop floor

Label printer

Main pc in the office which will be on the upper floor but different location to previous office

planning on installing some cctv as well and an alarm.

I presume Cat5e is the cable to go for, any specific type? Sheided or unsheilded?

What else do I need?

POE switch?

Patch panel?

a couple of APs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Is this a re-wiring project, you are re-decorating? If yes - go for it

Without on-site inspection hard to advise. Existing wiring might well be fine and/or can be utilized and reduce the cost. New install might inflict damage/destruction.

Existing wiring, if not damaged, could be just disconnected from switch.

Get someone with knowledge and tools to inspect/asses the site

CAT5e cabling is dated, however, it is capable of 1000Mbps and might well serve for another decade or so(unless specific demand). Current installs would go for CAT6a

Devices like POS, pay-card readers, display, printer and similar most likely operate(or it would be enough) on 100Mbps anyway. Even CCTV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Best get an electrician and a network engineer to do it for you.

Will be a far better job than diy.

Advertisement