Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ended the relationship

• 07-12-2023 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭

So yesterday, I ended my 4.5 year relationship and today I don't feel human at all.

It had been on my mind for a while, while things were great at points throughout, lately I really just realized that I could just not be the man or person she needs me to be.

The breakup itself was pure hell, easily the worst thing I have ever done or been part of, ever. She pleaded with me and begged me not to, she said she would change and that it would get better and so on. It broke my heart and hers.

Today, my birthday of all days, I am filled with guilt and sorrow, it is pretty much coming out of my ears. And in the midst of that I am second guessing my decision, which I think is probably natural.

My friends are being ultra supportive about it all, I don't live in Ireland and I fly home tomorrow and I was excited for that, but I really am not right now.

I just feel like i have torn up another persons heart, and the guilt that comes with it is huge. She is a good person, deserves the best, has a great heart...

My friends are telling me it gets easier...I really hope they are right.

Thanks.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

You have done the right thing and needn't feel guilty. A weaker person would have just stayed in the wrong relationship out of passivity, fear or a misguided sense of obligation.

Your friends are right and you will (perhaps slowly, but no matter) recover. You will now be in Ireland and among friends, and can enjoy that.

Happy birthday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thank you.

I keep replaying her pleading to me, it's broken my heart and will.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ElizaBennett

That's really really rough. While you're both going through awful pain, you also have the added anguish of doubting whether it was the right decision and guilt for hurting her. That's going to be hard to endure for a while and there's no way of getting through it without just going forward and learning to live with it. Be thankful that your friends are there to support you. Don't feel you have to be in good form all the time during your visit. It's ok to wallow, it's very early in this process. Almost everyone who goes through this does get over it though. Just takes time. Try not to be in contact with her. That will help you both. Don't give her false hope by checking in etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I remember your last thread about this relationship. That was over two years ago and you were having serious doubts even back then, so I think it's probably safe to say you've made the right choice. My advice back then was that your girlfriend sounded insecure at best and controlling at worst - her reaction to you ending the relationship hasn't disabused me of that notion.

It was a long relationship with more than it's fair share of ups and downs, from what you've shared previously. So you're obviously going to be pretty shell-shocked now that you've finally ended it. Come home, regather yourself, lean on your friends and family and most importantly, be kind to yourself. Try not to let yourself get dragged into protracted "But why?" and "I'll change" and "You must never have loved me" conversations with your ex. There'll be break-up logistics and an aftermath to deal with eventually, but now is not the time.

Mind yourself.

I knew someone would remember my old threads.

It did get better over time, but ultimately there were and are cracks in who we fundamentally are.

Today, I mainly think that what I wanted before and was set on, is not what I want now. Is this normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Sorry to hear this OP, these situations are BRUTAL! Did you try couples counselling or do you thing it would have helped? Either way, I suppose you cant stay in a mental limbo for years, its exhausting. Also settling isnt an option for many, even if you know its going to be hard to walk away. Initially when something ends, I think we feel huge emotion, I think when you do the breaking up, you are nearly mostly sad for the other person, because they will likely hurt more, then of course there is your huge loss too... You likely shared so many good times and some bad times and in a way, can become bonded over the shared trauma. I will tell you one thing, in relation to this, if this has been on your mind for quite some time, and you were broken up once, take a look at the below and jump to

Was taking a break an option or did you try that? 4.5 years is a LONG time. Your gut is usually right...

We did couples counselling and I felt it helped a bit, but ultimately it still left the feelings of not being enough or not fully who she wanted me to be.

I am no angel or saint at all, I accept my part in all of this.

I don't know if a break is an option, especially now. She did ask for that last night and I just needed to be alone so the conversation never evolved beyond that. All my mates are telling me that my emotions now are right, that this is the right thing but with it feeling so fresh it is hard to not think that this is a mistake and my guilt is taking over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

Frank, I remember your other threads as well. I think you need to be very careful about how much contact you're keeping with your ex. She's going to try her best to guilt and manipulate you into giving things another go. From that perspective, your trip home couldn't have come at a better time. You need to put some distance between you and her. It'll also help to be back with the people you love in Ireland.

It's only natural that part of you is regretting the break-up. It was a long-term relationship and you still care about your ex. You're now faced with having to restart part of your life from scratch and that is daunting. Do you still feel unsettled in Canada, by the way? If you still are, that's not going to help. You'd also have to have a heart of stone not to feel upset about the tears and the pleading and the promises coming from your ex. What your friends are telling you is 100% correct. Break-ups are really difficult and messy and complicated. It doesn't mean they shouldn't happen.

It's telling that you were having doubts about this relationship over 2 years ago. Did anything change, or did you try to tell yourself it was getting better? It's ominous that you needed couples counselling despite being together a relatively short time. All couples have their ups and downs but this seems to have been harder work than it should've been.

Taking two to three weeks apart, could be an option. Look logistics could make this easy or very difficult. Then again, you are in a mental limbo when on a break. ok, Ive been through this type of thing. What you could do is, stay broken up, tell her you need time and space, you will be in touch in a reasonable time frame, to let her know if you intend on sticking with your current decision. It seems if you ended it, she will agree to this, she has to.

Take a look at this though, I found it very, very relevant. Jump to Number 7... the full video is fascinating though...

The 9 Iron Rules of Tomassi - YouTube

Just to add, people don't change that much. If you decide to give things another go, you're going to find yourself back right here eventually. The shock and upset from the break-up will affect you both for a while but then it will wear off. You'll go back to where you were before this. Your ex's promised changes won't last either. You had 4½ years to try and make this relationship right and you never did. What makes you think anything will change in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 joebert80

I was in your situation this time last year.. similar length relationship. Filled with guilt after ending the relationship.. What I would say is remember the WHY you broke up.. Because in the coming weeks & months, you will find yourself focusing on all the good times you had with your partner and to a much MUCH lesser extent, remembering the not so good times and the reason why you decided it was best to end it.. This, at least in my situation, had me regularly second guessing my decision but as time went on, my thoughts became more rational and I became more certain that I made the right decision and that I'm not the asshole I was telling myself I was.

So just be conscious of that when your brain starts racing, give it time and don't be too hard on yourself. And definitely give yourselves space.

Certain stuff can be easier to change "you are working far too many hours etc", "youre out way too much" these could be true and are pretty easy to change, but if its far more complicated scenario, like it probably is, with personality differences etc, then you, people dont tend to change too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭YellowLead

You’ve absolutely done the right thing OP. It’s actually best for both of you that you don’t sacrifice yourself to a relationship you’re not happy in. It’s going to be a tough few months - tell her no contact is best because otherwise you’ll be tempted. You’ll both move on quicker cold turkey. The rest of your life awaits ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭nachouser

Happy, functional, good relationships don't end in break-ups. That's what it comes down to in the end. Remember the good stuff, but don't beat yourself up about the bad stuff.

Thanks, Tork!

Still in relative limbo here in Canada, it is hard to not feel that at times when your mind is playing tricks all the time. I have been going back and forth on this all morning and afternoon, it is really doing a number on me where I feel more so that I have made a mistake. It could be that that is the case, or that it is too fresh for me still.

The trip is timed very well, I know I need that time at home to figure things out and at the same time, it will be good for her to also have that time as well.

The relationship did really get better, we went on more trips and I brought her to Ireland as well. The love was and is real, and we both do really care for each other, which makes it all the more difficult.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Some posts deleted.

As per the charter - Do not post links to/embed videos, they are banned in this forum.

Hilda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,131 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think you've made the difficult and right choice. 2 years into a relationship and requiring relationship counselling is red flag already. It's not your job to repair someone or them you. If people are finding difficulty that quickly in then they really aren't compatible.

Your going to run up against huge mental roadblock coming up with the time of year that's in it. But remember the reasons, remember even what the reasons for counselling were that soon after getting together.

You'll have to start thinking of concentrating on yourself and your own happiness in the moment. That's important right now. Not fixing other people.

All the best.

Landed back home today and I am not a very pleasant person, won’t lie.

Lots of time to think about a lot on the plane, and landing to a miserable Dublin and being jet lagged hasn’t helped. I am finding resentment towards my friends and my family right now. I don’t see Ireland as home at all, and this with all my mates happy to see me here etc.

I know I need time for this, we actually both met before I flew back and we both agreed time apart is well needed.

I’ll have to be more mindful of my thoughts as well, I’ve been able to identify that what I am currently thinking is very irrational and just based on a fresh set of emotions that don’t truly represent anything.

Time, the great healer, it tells all.

Hard to tell people what to think. But what I will say is be present.

If you spend your time here going over conversations you've had with herself then you'll ruin it. You'll ruin yourself and you may even ruin other relationships with those you hold dear.

Note you mention you met before you left. Knock that stuff on the head. This relationship you describe isn't one, It's a boat load of poison and extreme emotions.

We met as it was my birthday, of all days.

We have thousands of kilometres between us now and we have agreed to radio silence, so that will do us both the world of good, I have no doubt.

You’re right about being in the present as well, I have been leaning into that more lately for my own mental health. Appreciate you mentioning that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mike Lason

everything will pass in time, you are broken and it is normal to feel this way

Are you sure you weren't using your birthday as an excuse? It's obvious that you're suffering from a huge attack of buyer's remorse and your brain is busy rewriting the past. Try not to lose sight of the facts that (1) This relationship was troublesome enough for you to need couples counselling. You've also had threads on boards about it and confided in the people close to you (2) Your decision to break up came after a lot of thought. Don't let tears and promises and loneliness sway you. Also, try not to become embittered towards your friends and family. They aren't mind-readers and they don't know what you want or need at the moment.

I watched that video which has since been removed and was struck by one comment that the guy made. Be very very careful of "make up" sex and getting her pregnant. Your girlfriend's neediness and controlling tendencies may have abated over time but do they ever really go away? Be careful. Especially if you still aren't fully at peace with living in Canada.

Listen, I have been sending these videos to my mates and its nail, hammer , head, even for guys that are very experienced in relationships and would be aware of this stuff... I will say one thing for sure, ZERO contact, it has to be that to make a proper and clear decision, you make the hard choice, then your head gets messed up, have I made the right choice etc, you arent actually in a right frame of mind, to make the choice about giving it another go, when your mind is a mess, you know you can immediately ease the pain and get an INITIAL swell of an emotional high by trying AGAIN. That is why, I really think 3-4 weeks, which is still a very short time, but it allows you to start seeing the wood for the trees... Again, zero contact being absolutely essential in my opinion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

Agree with what’s been said above. Following through with a breakup you instigated can be as tough as starting the breakup. Realizing a lot of the comforts from the relationship you’ve been used to for years are wiped out for an unknown amount of time and losing a really close friend is tough.

Have made the mistake myself of keeping in touch with an ex, trying to maintain a friendship while fully aware there was still unequal love there. It really hampered new relationships maturing.

I see no harm in having met her before you left as long as you didn’t leave the door open to reigniting it. The initial breakup can be so highly charged and leave unanswered questions that it can be beneficial to follow up in person. Bit worried you describe it as agreeing to time apart though but you know your situation best.

I know what you mean, the birthday might have been an excuse, I am not sure to be honest.

We are far apart now, and it is really helping with perspective. I really just have to give it time, get to the gym, continue to do well at work and enjoy my friends company, and avoid overuse of the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

OP I think it's fair to say that even outside of this relationship, you have a tendency to overthink things and second guess yourself. You had couple's counselling with your ex but have you ever been to therapy for yourself? I think it would be enormously beneficial. You don't really seem to know who you are or what you want. It sounds like you've spent your entire time in Canada with one eye cast back to Ireland, but now you're here, it doesn't feel like home anymore.

You seem to constantly have one foot in and one foot out of wherever you find yourself and it's causing you huge anxiety. You need to deal with that.

And I agree with others, the way you've phrased the "time apart" agreement with your ex (?) sounds very much as if you've already retconned the break-up into a break, which is a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭mykrodot

as @Idbatterim said, NO CONTACT is the only thing that works. I have been through hellish breakups in the past, one with serious emotional abuse. I kept going back. I don't know where I got the strength but finally I did and I left. We were in South and East Ireland so luckily there was a physical distance. It's tough, especially in the first week or so, and then as someone says you start remembering the good stuff, rose tinted glasses stuff, not the bad stuff. Your brain plays tricks!

But keep the NO CONTACT rule, read books or online forums on it, get support from that. It works , you get stronger, you get clarity and you realize you've made the right decision. DO NOT be tempted to answer texts, meet for coffee for a birthday or New Year, reminisce on Valentines Day. Just go cold turkey and implement the NO CONTACT rule.

You have broken up for a reason, that will not change. Good luck

Big user of therapy myself, I have a booking for my counsellor in a few weeks. I have been covering a lot of topics with him over the past 18 months.

I will also clear that is it not a break, to me this is a break up with a radio silence period. We are miles apart so that also helps the headspace a lot.

On the one foot in and one foot out, that is quite accurate to a degree. It is hard to unpack in one post, I put a lot of my identity into my move away, my career, finances and hobbies all flourished when I moved. Ireland is better than when I left, but it is also hard to see a life here but at the same time a life over there. So I am in a weird limbo pretty much all the time.

Have been meditating a lot, trying more and more to be present in the now (puts on Yoda hat), I do over think a lot, I panic at the thoughts of "what might be..." and at the same time, put all of what I have achieved down to luck or chance, not to hard work or me working for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ElizaBennett

Just want to reiterate the importance of no contact again. She'll be counting down the days till you're back - she won't be able to help it. She's probably set this period apart as a goal she has to achieve and then, once you're back in Canada, she'll fully expect to touch base with you and ask about the trip etc etc. And so the connection keeps going and the relationship can't end fully. You're both left hanging on.

I'm going through a break-up myself the last few months. As painful as it was, I only began to feel I could cope when we weren't in contact and there was no prospect of contact. I'd started to do very well and - lo and behold - I got a text the other day, just asking how I am etc etc, offering help with something, totally out of the blue. It feels like an excuse to make contact. I don't blame him as it's incredibly hard to end a relationship and not be in contact with someone you shared so much with. But it's the responsibility of the person who called time to make sure they handle the feelings of the other person as well as possible and that means not giving false hope by being in contact. Even if you really want to know that she's okay or catch up with her for genuine reasons, please don't do it. It will only prolong things and it's better that she starts to hate you a little and feel you're uncaring, as that helps the process of getting over it all. Worse for her to remember what a good guy you are and how thoughtful you are to check in.

I'd recommend you don't make contact when you're back. If you think she's expecting you to, maybe give some advance notice that you won't be and you think it's best if you both stay away from each other for at least a couple of months to help things sink in on both sides. All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭89897

Its always hard to leave a long term relationship but when the reasons are good the best thing to do is end it.

Regarding this time apart that you agreed on, if its over its over and you need to be clear with her. Not agreeing that time apart is good. I can almost guarantee that she will be waiting on this time to be over and hopeful of some reconciliation. You need to be clear with her now, even if that means breaking the no contact rule, that you are done. Otherwise you'll have had weeks of healing but she'll have had weeks of hoping and eventually when you return back you're back to square one.

Take time to yourself, enjoy the change of scenery and time with family and friends. Time is the great healer and you just have to go through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

It all sounded very turbulent and chaotic from your previous thread so you definitely made the right choice to end it, only a few years too late. Was/is your parents relationship similar by any chance? We tend to seek out similar relationships that we see as children in our adult life until you do work on yourself to break the conditioning.

But it will get easier and you can find a much more fulfilling relationship if you do the work on yourself.

Thanks everyone for your comments, they mean a lot.

On my front, things are sometimes ok, sometimes just not.

What I think the end of the relationship has done, is opened a larger issue for me. I know I am not home that long, but I really feel like a stranger in Ireland right now, more than I have done in previous trips. It is very early in it all, the struggle is quite real at the minute. Haven't had the chance to fully talk about the whole thing yet with my friends, only a very brief chat yesterday with a pal as we were walking to a restaurant. It does come in waves, there is peace with it and then complete conflict as well.

I am replaying a lot in my head a lot of the time, which feels like it will run me to a nervous breakdown. Like I said, the relationship is part of it, the other parts are where I am at in life, my identity, you name it.

There is a real worry for me now that I just didn't put in enough effort for the relationship to fully work, that I was one foot in and one foot out with wanting to stay abroad because the pull from friends and family here in Ireland was strong. Now that I am here, a few things have dawned on me, if I were to move back I would have to live with my folks for a potentially long time. I am in my late 30's now, so the thoughts of that worry me to my very core, I really do not think I could do that. Right now, and I know this is all new, my folks talk to me like I am 16 with "where were you last night" "who were you with" "What are you doing today". I know there is no malice in that at all, but it feels like it is a kick to your independence.

To go on top of all of that, my mates are in Christmas mode so want to go out etc, I really don't want to use the pub as a therapy couch and I have had a few drinks already. I know what it can do to my moods so I would rather be aware of it will impact my thinking.

Then there is back where I live, which never felt like home but is such a strong part of my identity over the past decade. I have my own place, reasonable rent, a life and lifestyle that I can enjoy (it can be pricy but that is the city I am in), so now I am thinking is it as bad as I was thinking? Was I just telling myself that it was not home to justify not putting in effort and always thinking of Ireland at home?

There is a lot more to all of this that I just can't get into the details of, mainly around how different life can feel here in Ireland when I am home, my friends and their lives, my own life and what I like to do, the fact that some family members are gone now and did I grieve enough, the feeling of "same old Ireland" and do I really fit in here with who I am as a person anymore?

Just to finish this with I have an appointment booked with my therapist for next week, which can't come soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭89897

OP I say this with kindness and maybe something to reflect on. You seem a bit one foot in, one foot out with everything. You will always struggle with things if this is the case. You're relationship, where you live, wanting to see friends but not in the pub, living with your folks but wanting freedom.

Sometimes you have to make the decision and go after it wholeheartedly. If you decide the relationship is over finish it completely, if you decide to stay living where you are embrace it, if you decide to move home accept you may need to do what you need to do to get back here and readjust. You can go to the pub and not drink or invite friends over to the house.

Right now your mind is on overdrive cause there is alot to consider, try shut that out and just enjoy your time home. Reopen for thinking when you're less panicky and more calm. The mind cannot make creative decisions while its in panic mode.

You might be right, I am realizing I sometimes struggle with change. I also find that lately, and having just posted it, I have been away a decade now...that kinda struck me a bit.

You are right that with my mind running riot right now, I can't think straight or make a clear decision. I am meeting a pal later on to talk life, he is one of my best friends and usually has solid advice from a good perspective.

Is it healthy that you baked your move to Canada so heavily into your self-identity? That's a big question for you to deal with.

I also wonder if have you been trying too hard to convince yourself you should be in Canada and that your girlfriend is Miss Right. I see elements of that creeping into your thinking now. You think you should have tried harder to settle there and that you could have been better in this relationship. Your head is rewriting history, peppered full of "should haves", rather than the actual life you have been living for a decade.

All I have to go by are your previous threads and in my honest opinion, you should have broken up with your ex long ago. She displayed some troubling behaviour in your older threads and I'm not convinced people change all that much. But because you wanted the relationship to continue you persisted. Is it a case of sunk cost fallacy? Only you can answer the question - have you been trying to fit a square peg into a round hole? It won't go in easily but because you've kept whacking the wooden peg with a hammer, it has worn down and now fits. Or that's what you've been trying to tell yourself.

You also never settled properly in Canada. Why? Could it be because it isn't a good fit for you despite your best efforts to convince yourself it is? It goes back to that self-identity thing. Would leaving Canada dent your ego? I'm also curious to know if you ever made any good friends in Canada you can confide in. Everyone you want to talk to seems to be here in Ireland. I'm also curious to know if you experienced turmoil similar to what you're feeling now in the years before you emigrated.

You don't need me to tell you that this foot in both camps thing is now coming to a head. You are going to have to make some big decisions. If you go back to Canada and get back with your girlfriend (I'm unconvinced there's anything but a reconciliation on the cards here) you're probably going to have to move to where she's from. That's what she was looking for before. Is that what you want? Really?

At this point of your life, neither Ireland nor Canada is 100% right for you and you're going to have to make compromises no matter what you choose.

Post edited by Tork on

• Advertisement

Looking back, I never though my identity would be so closely tied to that move. But looking at it now, with how my life changed, my career, my finances, my lifestyle, my independence, it all happened there.

I haven't mentioned friends in Canada but I have met some of the best people I know there, it is what makes Canada tolerable to me, I have great friends around me. I really do.

I am not sure if I am trying to convince myself of me being in Canada. I would actually say it would be a bad thing for me to be there right now anyway, but I can't say for sure. You are right in that my thinking right now is leaning that way, I am only seeing problems right now with everything, despite things being relatively ok for the most part. I do think how she might be doing, I also know her mother is visiting her this week for 2 weeks so I think (and I hope) that will do her good, but as someone said to me before it is none of your business how they are doing. None.

This whole ordeal is probably the mark of a bigger change. Realistically, I want to get my Canadian passport so that I at least have that, that will take about a year or so. My job are flexible with me working in either or for a period of time, so that is also of benefit to me (again, I seem to be in a good position). It could be a gradual move, no move, a big move. It could be anything.

(Even typing this helps my brain so so much, so thanks again, everyone)

Is the most important question, not if you two should be together? After that, the Ireland v Cananda debate could be had? Everything starts becoming clearer, 3 to 4 weeks in, when the dust has somewhat settled.. What do you want OP, forget about her wants, you need to do what is right for you...

You’re right, I am thinking of a million things at once right now. It is settling, and I am feeling more at one with my thoughts at least.

Time is what I need, each day is helping and I’m keeping active and working still. If I were sitting still, that would be bad.

it is not even been a week yet, and in that week I’ve had travel, jet lag and too many pints.

A little update for you all:

So it's been 2 weeks or so now, and I am really feeling better with myself. I am in the gym, focusing on myself, talking to friends about stuff and I also have a therapy session in a few hours with my therapist back in Canada (who is well used to hearing all about what I have been thinking etc). I will say now that there is a degree of clarity in my mind that just wasn't there before for me, I can see why I did what I did, and I know that it was good for me. I did waver back and forth at the beginning (which could be seen in my posts), however as time has gone on, the main reasons why I ended it are clearer now.

I do of course still think of the good times, and I do miss the closeness we had. I still catch myself thinking "I hope she is ok" but I can quickly identify that as intrusive thoughts. We are both adults, we have friends, family and tools to use, so it is egotistical of me to think that she will be just thinking about me all the time. I am good at seeing that, identifying it, and letting it go.

There are, however, a few new things that have come up out of all of this.

First, I think there is some damage that I have taken with the relationship. I find myself something second guessing what I am doing, which could be looking at someone else or even thinking, and feel profound guilt and imagining her flipping out (there was always a lack of trust from her at times, asking who I was with, are there girls in my gym etc) which I know was part of her own baggage. It seems to have impacted how I think, never mind act. It is hard to describe, I suppose if you imagine that you just feel guilty for thinking something in the anticipation that someone might find out, so you mentally curl up and stop. It is bizarre, to say the least. I am even finding myself watching what I say...in case she finds out. I don't know if I am describing that very well.

Second, while I am enjoying being at home with my family, my circle of friends have really been flakey thus far. So many plans have been cancelled or no responses to texts. I am confiding more in my friends back where I live than those who are physically around me. Very few have asked how I am doing with everything, and I know they don't have to, but being asked would be nice. I can of course say something to address this.

In relation to that, there is this weird void feeling I have to Ireland right now (and I know this will sound familiar with the one foot in etc), I really do feel like a total stranger here, even more profoundly than before. I am doing my own thing to a large degree, I take myself into town, go for walk about and get a coffee etc, I do really notice the lack on communication with my circle of friends here though.

Perhaps this is a fork in the road moment, we are on different tracks. Perhaps it is because it is Christmas and people have moved on and have families etc?

There are thoughts of happiness being here, and eagerness to getting back to where I live.

If you weren't contacting with irish friends daily or weekly before from canada, it's certainly not going to change in 2 weeks being physically here.

Christmas is indeed a super busy time for friendships as everyone has their own families and loved ones to engage with over the period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭manonboard

Hey Op

Thanks for taking the time to update. Though there is no burden on you to do so. Its nice of you to offer.

Im so glad to hear that you are feeling more clarity. I felt your pain in my skin when i first read your post about it. It felt so visceral. A break up after that long of time, after so much sunk cost, is harrowily painful. The fact that you are feeling more clear and still sound in your reasoning speaks volumes to the rightness of your decision.

Im really proud and glad for you. Its ok to feel like a stranger at home, you are. It happens to us that live abroad for so long. I wish you the best christmas and in another 2 weeks, the level of physical relief you feel will be even bigger. The lack of anxiety that built up so slowly we didnt even know we carried it. You did good!

I would text daily with Irish pals when I am over in Canada. As you say though, it is a busy time.

glad to hear you are feeling better. Getting clarity, this is exactly what happens. When the relationship breaks up, its like a bomb going off. You cant think clearly until the dust settles. Its possible your friends etc not asking you more about it, are doing so, because they dont want to keep on bringing up a sore subject, that they no doubt think, everyone is asking you about.

in terms of peoples flakiness, oh yeah, hundred percent. If they have kids and families etc, its normal. its the way it goes with most men. Ive a few mates that still strike a good health balance, most dont...

Earlier in the thread, you described yourself as not being a pleasant person when you landed in Dublin. Might some of your friends have picked that vibe up from you? They might be giving you some time to return to your usual self. Also, if you've been going on about problems with your ex for a long time and they feel you never took their advice, they might not feel like going there again. I've been that ear and eventually, you just get fed up listening to friends being long on talk and short on action. I'm not the only person who felt you were biding your time before reconciling.

If your friends have settled down and have kids of their own, they're not going to have so much time for you. Could you try to meet them somewhere along with their kids. They'll bugger off and do their own thing, leaving you time to talk.

I’ve definitely noticed a change in my mood the last week, and even with my friends more so. It just required me to open up a bit more, which has helped a lot.

My therapist session was also a huge huge help. He gave great advice on what to do next, and said I’m doing the right things with being aware of irrational thoughts and how it will take time to fully heal after everything.

Small update:

I am way more myself recently, plenty of journaling, mindfulness and just generally more happy lately. It is very clear that this was the right decision for me to take. Seeing friends on a more frequent basis but also really enjoying my own time and space as well, I take myself out to town for lunch of coffee, walk about and just enjoy it all. It is quite liberating and eye opening.

My therapist, who I met yesterday, noticed a lot more optimism in me as well. I am enjoying my time here in Ireland, but I am also equally looking forward to returning to Vancouver and what that might bring. There is a bit of worry or fear going back, mainly with it being unknown, however I am trying to keep an open mind on it.

One thing that is on the horizon now is the following...

There has been some comms with my ex. She text asking me when I am returning, I left it vague as I didn't want to start any arguments, which aren't hard to do. With having told her that, she said she wants to do a video call this weekend as she needs closure, and as it doesn't seem like I will be back anytime soon, a video call will do. I really do not know what to expect with it, it has elevated my anxiety quite a bit. I do know that doing the call will be necessary, however I do not want to be bound by her controlling antics (which have really become a lot clearer to me recently).

I suppose I have to approach it with an open mind, and whatever happens, happens.

Have you mentioned this call to your therapist? While there may be practical things to clear up with your ex, I'm not sure what this closure is meant for. You've already been through the tears and the pleading and all the rest of it. What's left to be said? Other than for her to unload grudges onto you, or to make you feel guilty all over again.

She didn't say at all, just that it was very whirlwind before I left and now she needs closure, and that ideally in person would be better but that won't be happening anytime soon.

My therapist didn't seem concerned at all by it, said it sounds natural but also that I am not in control of what she will say or what she will want either. I just have to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭thefa

I’d view it similarly to yourself. If I’ve been following correctly, there was a big breakup conversation, a meeting a couple of days later on the birthday and some comms since.

I understand how having a talk for closure can be beneficial in some cases but would be surprised if this isn’t an attempt to either immediately rekindle the relationship or stay in the game from her side.

I guess Frank you’ve noticed improvements in your life but this has come up which is adding anxiety. If you’re happy to appease her with the call but hold firm on what you’ve done so far, fair enough. I’m not really seeing what’s in it for you though. Sometimes a clean break is for the best.

thefa 8:54pm

I guess Frank you’ve noticed improvements in your life but this has come up which is adding anxiety. If you’re happy to appease her with the call but hold firm on what you’ve done so far, fair enough. I’m not really seeing what’s in it for you though. Sometimes a clean break is for the best.

This is the nub of it. What's in this for you? You've told us that it has elevated your anxiety. That speaks volumes in my opinion. It looks like your gut is screaming at you that this conversation is A Bad Thing. Personally, I think it's way too soon for YOU to be having a conversation like this with your ex. You only broke up a month ago and it has been a very difficult experience for you. It's good to see that you're gaining some insights into the sort of relationship you were in, but are you strong enough not to be sucked back in? A month is no time at all, and you're not out of the woods yet. Remember too that this isn't just her break-up and her timetable. It's also your break-up and your timetable. Be careful you don't fall back into a pattern of trying to appease her.

In the lead-up to your break-up, you had to make a journey in your own mind and get to the place where you had that harrowing conversation. The question is, what has your ex been thinking over the past month? It's not very long since she pleaded and begged you not to break up with her, and promised everything would change. You've told us that that was the most difficult thing you've ever been through. You have also come to realise how controlling she was, something you didn't quite see when you were together. Is she really ready to let you go? She made it very clear to you that she didn't want to break up. Has she changed her mind on that over the past month? I have my doubts, I really do.

Are you ready for a reprise of your break-up hell? It wouldn't surprise me if that's why she's pushing for what she's describing as closure. It's just as likely she's working on trying to get back together and will turn on the waterworks. Remember how good she is at pushing your buttons - be very careful. One thing that is 100% nailed on, in my opinion, is that this call is NOT for your benefit. I can't see you coming away from that call feeling anything but rattled. I don't see it as closure, I see it as reopening wounds. It's a bad idea.

Post edited by Tork on

• Advertisement
Advertisement