Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is sky basic tv full price

• 08-12-2023 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Bellie1

Whe. 12 month contract expires,how much is sky tv and broadband typically ? Have just the basic tv package and broadband for 55 euros and due to expire in early January. For future years, in case switching etc, I'd prefer to have the 12 month contract start from Feb to avoid any switching around Christmas time. But if full whack for a month is 100€ then scrap that as an idea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,387 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You will need to check the Sky Ireland website for prices.

Have you cancelled yet? They normally make an offer at that point. The offers are account specific it seems and while others may post here about what they availed of you may or may not get the same offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭left_hander

100 quid a month for Sky TV only, no wonder people are (ahem!) "looking at alternatives"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They just handed the Premier League an improved offer for the football rights too.

So expect increases incoming soon.

The OP did say that broadband was also part of their package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

They’re paying less per game than current deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still paying more money.

So you think there might be a price reduction now, since they are paying less per game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

I just checked and 55 becomes 101 after 12 months but I noticed HD was free for 2 months and then 10 a month but does that mean that all the channels are in SD for 55?

• HD pack is only for some channels. No is the answer though it’s a separate, addition subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Bellie1

100€ . Jesus. I'll have to ring to cancel and hope to get a deal.

If your contract expires in early January you need to get ringing ASAP as you have to give 30 days cancellation notice. Sky charges the full rate for every day you are out of contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

Haggle and haggle hard. It can be done and Sky will want to keep you. Play hard ball - it does work.

Could I expect them to match the first year cost ie no increase at all? Have it in my head to switch to Virgin if sky won't keep at €55. Will miss Atlantic ( and under pressure to watch all the recordings on the box!) but will follow through and switch each year if have to, to keep prices low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

It always pays to shop around for ALL utilities as your contract nears the end. It also pays to rattle your existing suppliers cage. Amazingly they can usually magically find some way to keep you on your existing or at least less than their "standard rates". A few minutes on the phone can save you hundreds each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Fotish

A few minutes on the phone with Sky, good luck with that 😀

I always switch around with all utilities. A pain in the ass but worth it. But yeah not looking forward.to being on hold for ages tomorrow as try to get through.to the cancellation section

Remember leaving them a few years ago, and almost lost my head, was on hold for 40 minutes.. obviously deliberate policy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I've never quite figured out is it hard to get through to them because they want to discourage you from changing or just so many others calling for the same reasons. 🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Now don't get me wrong I think its way too expensive and they are gougers but its not €100. That is just nonsense.

The basic TV package is now called 'Signature' and it costs €46. It's sort of useless without 'HD', which is still 'extra' for another €10, but also includes 'boxsets' streaming.

So the basic basic package is €46 and to make it watchable (HD) another €10 = €56.

If it also includes your internet & phone thats not the basic package. And I dont think even that would add up to €100. My understanding is Sky broadband is €30 for 500Mbits plus €5 for phone = €35.

• It’s €115 a month for broadband (500mb) and basic TV package with HD.

A few quid cheaper for sky stream.

It is absolutely over €100 for broadband and TV. Sky also do not charge €35/m for 500mb broadband. If they did it would be the cheapest in the country!

Outside your offer (so after 12m) it’s €60.

€55 for the tv.

€115.

Thats not true. I actually have Sky Signature and HD. I pay €56.

It’s €115 a month for broadband (500mb) and basic TV package with HD.

For what I can see that is incorrect. It's €46 for basic package 'Signature', €10 for HD and €30 for broadband w 500mbits. Another fiver for the basic 'talk' package (phone). So thats €86 or €91 respectively.

If you pay more then you need to review what you have. Probably multiroom or SkyQ or Kids or whatever...

As for the fallback rates after the 12 month contract periods - nobody pays those, they're outrageous. Having said that it's a disgrace that Sky uses this practise to begin with. Customers shouldn't have to stay 'on top' of their contracts like that or else they get fleeced.

• Okay so the price quoted to me on skys website is wrong?

• Advertisement

• and at the bottom “broadband €60 after 12 months”

and the non promo price for the tv is showing as €101.

But... 55 plus 35 is 90? Not 115?

Look you know your quote and I have no intention to argue with you if thats what you were quoted but thats not what I'm paying and its not what your screenshots are saying. Or am I missing something?

• It is not €35 for broadband out of contract it is €60. Also I forgot to add Ultra HD + HD pack for €14 in second post.

I am being shown on Sky the price “should” be €101 but it is discounted to €55 for the first year.

€55 for 12m then up to €115 after 12m. Thats for Basic TV, Ultra HD + HD, Broadband 500mb.

€60 + €55 = €115.

Whatever you’re paying would not be anything related to what a new sign up is paying. Also do you have Sky Q, Sky Glass or Sky Stream? Are you in contract?

Regardless, OP can find out his out of contract fee on the contract. It’s probably also in your welcome email & you can nearly definitely see on a bill it should show you the “out of bundle” rate then the price they are charging. If nothing else ring them and ask what you will be paying & I’m sure they’ll even give you an offer at that point.

Yes, the deal is 55 for TV and Broadband for 12 months and after 12 months the cost of the 2 is 101 euro. You have to delve closer to work out that the BB becomes 60 and the TV 41. The 35 above is a bit misleading as SKY gives you 2 options at the checkout the 35 which is 500mb and 45 which is 1gb but the 35 is included in the 55.

Now if you have sky then on your bill it should show what you actually pay and the real cost so it will look like you are on a good deal.

The sky website does not make it easy to work out what is what but I did as I am visiting a sky customer Tuesday who have signed for a deal and don't even know how much they are actually paying and will pay after 12 months but its not 101 a month.

The bit that gets me is the extra 10 euro for HD!! So 41 +10 = 51 and plus 60 = €111 a month = x 12 = €1332 a year, that is quite steep.

The only channel I think you get for what you pay is sky atlantic but is that worth 51 a month. A good FTA box can be had for 250 and pays for itself within 5 months.

And out of interest what package do you have and what are you paying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭apache

I'm with them about 18 years. I rang a couple of years ago to see if I could get a better deal but they said they could do nothing for me. Have the basic package, HD and multiroom. It's €74 I think. I'm going to try ringing them again. It really puts me off waiting on hold. What would be the best time to ring? Is it definitely a free number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭batistuta9

There used to be no point looking for deals, they'd know you're staying. need to get speaking to cancellations & go ahead and cancel if you have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭apache

I suppose but if they say fine cancel I'm snookered. I might try that. I do like the record function and use it a lot. I have a firestick and never use it. I should save money and start using that instead and cancel. I have to say I'm old fashioned and do like Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭webpal

I’m with sky (tv) 22 years and I have never paid full price, currently have signature for €20pm. I ring to cancel each year, pain in the arse but happy to do so. Most times we agree a price but a couple of times, I did actually cancel and got cancellation mails etc, but after a week or two got a mail offering basically same price again (30 days notice so never lost connection)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭batistuta9

No, you pay in advance anyway so will still have a month. If they don't get back to you in that time with an offer, worst case is you're without it for a few days. Sign up again as a new customer & get discounts.

• Advertisement

You just enter a new contract after 12 months. It's a pain ITA to remember every 12 months and I hate Sky for it but thats what everybody does I would have thought. Bit like electricity contracts.

I forgot to add the sky freephone number and just be prepared to wait but safe in the knowledge its costing you nothing. its

1800 92 74 76

In the UK you can also use chat and bear in mind they know you want to keep it so start by asking if there is a new 12 month deal and you must have a figure you can pay. Bear in mind you can switch to other BB providers but not sky. pure telecom is 34 a month for 12 months is better than 60, So you ave to get sky as low as possible. Without hd its 41 a month normal so you might get it to 35. Say you can get a better bb deal and as a last resort you can cancel and hope they either get back to you or you ring later.

I'd say you should bank on getting it for 70. better than 101.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As others have said, even if the call centre don’t offer you a deal you may still be offered a deal after a fortnight or so.

I get what people are saying re electricity/gas contracts but it’s not a perfect comparison. Gas is gas and electricity is electricity no matter who you buy it from, so you really are only shopping around on price. With TV not all packages are created equal and there’s always a chance (and the chance is higher with Sky than any other provider simply because they offer the most number of channels) that the one channel you love and simply can’t do without isn’t available from another provider.

• To be fair to Sky they really have the best tv offering in the country. Vodafone, eir & Virgin are rubbish imo by comparison

not just insofar as channels but actually using the box etc

They had the most reliable tech for many years. I'm still on the Sky+ box and it basically never fails or crashes and its probably considered ancient by now.

In my case I was snookered in any case since my estate doesn't have any cable so it was either Sky via satellite or the handful of Irish channels via arial. Things are obviously better now with streaming services and fibre broadband, it's effectively like cable tv, but especially my wife is so used to the Sky box she doesn't want to let it go.

Its still quite expensive for what it is but its grand.

On hold at moment..worst case, if left can I definitely rejoin after 2 days? Its just a matter of them reactivating the account as wouldn't have returned equipment yet.

Alternatively,virgin have an offer for 50€ which I doubt sky will match . Would prefer stick with sky as easier than trying to reconnect solar panels and central heating etc to a new router

• Advertisement

Hmm after all that, would only offer 94€ so will go ahead and cancel. Was disconnected after she broke that bombshell so on hold again waiting to get through to cancellation team. That's a ridiculous offer. Am going to sign upto virgin . Does anyone know if have to pay virgin immediately or if the 2 weeks cooling offer applies so can sign up now and book the installation on 10th Jan, and change my mind if sky were to ring with a better offer in the next 2 weeks.

• You will pay for any services used and the 14 days doesn’t start until it’s installed and activated afaik.

so if you cancel the order before it’s installed you won’t be charged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Use the text service and ask to be connected to the loyalty department, it's a bit slow going but at least your not on hold and can do whatever your doing in between texts

Onto her now and cancelling. Crap anyway. Pain but has to be done..I remember when they used to match the previous years offer pretty much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They could do that when they weren’t offering the first year at half price. For what it’s worth though, Virgin Media after the first year rockets up to €104:

I just checked my future Sky bill for Feb and if I subtract all the various add-ons, it comes to about the same as Virgin if I was able to get Sky Fibre (similar to Virgin 500Mb broadband). Sky Fibre isn’t available in my area so I’m on a different broadband type which means an extra €30 for the phone line rental, and limited to 100Mb broadband 😒

Really it doesn’t look like you’d save a whole pile out-of-contract switching between them.

After that their TV offerings are pretty much the same, but Virgin has something I wish Sky had - user profiles! It’s not enough to get me to switch from Sky Q though which has its own advantages - multiroom Wi-Fi mesh on the mini-boxes is great, but an additional €20, and that’s one of the only ways you can get Sky Go Extra too. Just something to bear in mind - with Virgin they don’t charge extra for being able to watch on other devices (laptop, tablet, phone), but the experience is crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

last few times I've haggled with them I've used Facebook Messenger. Means you can get on with your day while waiting for them to respond.

Also, it may not suit everyone because it is quite limited, but if you have SkyQ you can switch to the "Essentials" pack for €10 a month. There's a discussion about it on this forum (I think the subject is "Sky Lite" which is what they were previously calling it).

Also worth noting that if you cancel the HD pack, you still get RTE and BBC in HD (and some others, not sure about the Virgin channels).

Been googling about Virgin and apparently their Loaded box is limited in what you can record(no BBC etc). Also on Facebook ,the comments are vitriolic about customer service etc. Am reconsidering staying with Sky after all that. At one stage during cancellation, was offered 78€ for BB and basic tv. If I ring them again, what are chances they will reoffer this?

If wait a few weeks what are the chances they will ring with an even better deal ( I recall Virgin did this last year a few weeks after cancelled trying to get me to reconsider)

And finally, if I hold tough for 2 weeks waiting for a better offer and don't hear anything from them, I assume there will be no issue deferring the cancellation until 11th Feb , just to give me time to ask around and decide re Virgin/skylite etc. Don't have the time these weeks for decisions.

Is the package you have got sky Q?? And are there specific channels like Sky Atlantic HD that you want? Sky Q ask for the kit back . Why not get Pure BB for 35 go back to sky and say you cant afford both and need the channels but need a good deal. If its not Sky Q why not get a box like a Zgemma h7s and just have the BB then get a firstick etc.

Good idea

So sky tv will work with any broadband provider. Pure have good enough customer service it seems from a quick google. And it's fibre( we have Siro in my estate). If can get sky for less than 40 then this is looking like a good option.Virgin customer service has pretty bad reviews so reconsidering that as an option

Delete

Post edited by Bellie1 on

Advertisement