Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a Farm Company

• 08-12-2023 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I work full time and am farming part time in my own name since 2022.

I have been told that I should set up a company for farming, and this would reduce my tax burden, this is something I know nothing about.

I would appreciate any feed back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Manorpark man

Lot of ifs and buts there

what type of farming?

how profitable it is

off farm income?

age, plans going forward etc

your accountant is the best one to ask on this subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What’s the advantages and disadvantages of being in a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

It would depend on what strategy you'd be using to take money out of farm company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

who told you " you should " and what reasons did they give

Your not going to get the correct advice here anyway as no one knows your financial situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭n1st

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The answer to this will be dependent on individual circumstances. You are best placed speaking to a decent accountant in your area about pros/cons for your scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I’ve started ball rolling in this and will be limited company structure from 01 march ….I had a thread started here a while back …some good pointers in it ……my advice find an accountant with experience in this and farmers in limited companies on there books ….so many things to consider

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

One of the important things to realise is its not really a tax strategy, its an investment strategy.

Advertisement