Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Advice on Handling Unapproved Renovation Costs from HAP Tenant

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Have you sent them a bill to restore the house to the state that they got it in? ugh HAP is such a pain. Have you informed the council that they have not paid rent?

I see the above poster says there is a change in policy about HAP payments for landlords which is great, previously if the tenant did not pay you had to pursue it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GardenMan1981

Thank you all for your comments and feedback. During my recent inspection of the house, I observed that the tenant has carried out renovations, including painting and new flooring. However, it's important to note that the scale and quality of these improvements do not come close to justifying the claimed cost of €19,500.

Moreover, it is intriguing and concerning that an individual with such a low income had the means to fund these renovations, as claimed. This discrepancy raises questions about the accuracy of their financial declarations.

Additionally, I must emphasize that all these changes were made without my written consent, further complicating the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

That's an awful situation OP. I cannot offer advice. I just hope you get your property back as quickly as possible. It would do no harm to have a chat with the GardaÍ about the demands being made. They may say it's not their remit, or they may not. Good legal advise is essential.

Your tenant may have significant income and still retain HAP.

I have two properties let out to HAP tenants. One tenant has a new car every two yrs. Current car is 222 reg BMW. It's not a company car.

Other tenants offered to buy the rented property off me. They had loan approval for a substantial amount. 6 months on, they are still in receipt of HAP. With their household income, they could easily pay the rent in full.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Cinderella2000

And this is further fuelling our lack of housing, for all.

Those in genuine need of HAP cannot find landlords / properties accepting them/HAP.

Those who (presumably) once needed HAP and have successful got back on their feet/climbed career ladders ETC and no longer need it are being left with both a HAP payment and property, they no longer require.

I would like to think DSP would investigate if such information was provided to them.

Any tenant who is offering to BUY a property should not be in receipt of HAP. Perhaps above example might explain further those buying in cash with no bank rolling Daddy in the picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Gamergurll

As far as I know once you're on it that's you, you are supposed to tell them about a change in circumstances obviously but if you don't you're on it unless they do a random check on household income, which is rare enough anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

They're scamming you.

It's no coincidence that the building contractor who did these un-approved works to the tune of almost €20k is the tenant's brother!

I'd be giving Revenue a call about him.

Advertisement