Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport card issue date

Options
  • 09-12-2023 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭

I ordered a passport card two weeks and the turnaround time was supposed to be 3 to 5 days but tracking shows an issue date of the 18th of December. Which is the date of my flight out of course.

I assume the cards are printed in batches on a plastic sheet and not individually. Is the “delay” that they are waiting to see if more people order cards?

Should I assume the card will absolutely not arrive before the 18th ?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Can you not just use your passport book? You need a passport book to get a passport card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I was going to end my post by asking that anyone who who was going reply “can’t you use your passport book” to not reply to question.

Why are you replying to a post you clearly haven’t read? Nowhere did I say that that I wasn’t going to use a passport book.

Then why didn't you end your post with that? People are not mind readers.

Your first post below reads like you are under the impression that your need the card to travel. There is a sense of urgency to it when you say the issue date is the same as the date for your flight of 18 December, of course. You also then ask if you can absolutely assume the card will not arrive in time before December 18. It might have been useful at this point to indicate you had your book and could travel so people like me wouldn't take you up incorrectly. You seem to be implying now that you have your book so all's well that ends well? Enjoy your flight on 18 December.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I ordered both full passport and card together earlier this year. Passport was delivered in the post the next day but the card took over 4 weeks to arrive.

It has nothing to do with people being mind readers. The post was clearly and simply about a passport card. You either didn’t read or simply didn’t understand the post. I’m not going to read your second paragraph because obviously you didn’t understand the second post either.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

I don’t understand why they don’t give the real turnaround times on the website.

I wonder if banks and the social welfare have the ability to print individual cards or do they just dispose of the rest of the plastic sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A passport card is not just a bit of plastic sheet. It likely takes longer to ensure the biometric chip and info are all correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I order one a few months ago and it took a similar amount of time to what you see. The date on the website was spot on.

My point about mind readers is more to do with the fact that sometimes it is hard to express your intentions in writing and some nuance can be missed. You haven't addressed any of the points I made about how your first post could be construed. You won't even read the paragraph I made those points in and you say I don't read or understand. You seem unreasonably sore about something that would seem to be a bit of a non issue. A simple thanks I know I need a book before I can get a card would have done rather than jumping down my throat over it.

I didn't “jump down your throat” and I owe you neither gratitude nor addressing of points.

I stated clearly and honestly that I didn’t read the second paragraph, nothing at all to do not reading or understanding the original post in a thread.

And I will not read or respond to any further posts from you because they off topic and irrelevant.

Have a nice day.

• Advertisement

Thank you. Strange that they don’t state it could be possibly 3 weeks but at least now I know it won’t be here early.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭GBX

From https://www.dfa.ie/passports/turnaround-times/

All turnaround times are the same regardless of the country of residence of the applicant.

Turnaround times do not include postage delivery times.

Delays may be due to An Post being under increased load for Christmas.

I think we have different opinions on that. Your reply to me was over the top and I never said you owe me thanks or gratitude. My point was more to do with common courtesy...which you seem well capable of with other posters in the thread. Anyway, you're right about one thing, we are going off topic.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

Sorry I didn’t see your post until just now.

I was told previously that the cards are printed in batches (that they don’t just print one) and the cards are cut from a larger sheet. Although that doesn’t make sense to me because as you said there is private information on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Can't see how you expect anyone to make any effort to assist you when this is your attitude? It was a perfectly reasonable and potentially helpful response. You expressed concern that you could miss your flight due to the tardy arrival of the card, and an alternative as presented to you which could save the day.

If the forecasted issue date is December 18th then I would most definitely assume that it will not be delivered to you before your flight.

Nowhere in the original post did I mention or suggest concern or say anything about missing a flight.

You clearly also did not read the post.

And three people did help by posting about the topic of the thread. So you clearly didn’t read there posts either.

strange that you only seem to have read certain posts.

Anyway, you are late to the party because even that guy put it behind him and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭con747

Well, "an issue date of the 18th of December. Which is the date of my flight out of course" kind of insinuates you needed it for the flight. Maybe you should have mentioned you had an alternative in the OP. You seem to be the only person who thinks your post was not a little misleading.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

There was no insinuation. My post was clear and simple - I ordered a passport card, issue date is the day of the flight, any chance the card is coming earlier than that - where in that am I saying anything about missing a flight or that I am worried about anything?

The passport book is irrelevant to the thread.

And three people posted here who clearly were not mislead by anything because they answered the question I asked. They don’t count according to you? What a nice person you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭con747

Yep. Goodbye.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Cards are printed in batches (not as orders come in) and considered low priority as not needed for travel, if they have a backlog of passports to print then the cards are put on the backburner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I really can't fathom your reaction here, and I also cannot follow the logic in this post either?

In this post you write:

"Nowhere in the original post did I mention or suggest concern or say anything about missing a flight."

... whereas in your opening post you wrote ...

"but tracking shows an issue date of the 18th of December. Which is the date of my flight out of course."

If you are on here just to troll and waste peoples time, then good for you, have fun, but don't expect anyone to be making any genuine effort to assist you.

Thank you for pointing out an example of how the original post didn’t mention anything about concern or worry about my flight.

And four people HAVE genuinely assisted me.

I think it is yourself that lacks logic and is here to troll. If you have that kind of spare time in your day, then that isn’t good for you.

Do you have something inserted into your anus?

Yes, several people such as yourself.

my goodness, but there is an awful lot of pearl clutchers on the boards.

If this upsets you folks you must find real life unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭McSween

id like to add my voice that the op is a gobshite

I think it is fairly obvious which people are the trolls.

Folks, have you nothing to do but read resolved threads?

Yes, everyone except you is a troll. That's how life works! 🤣

I didn’t say everybody.

So we have had people who don’t read posts before responding and we are at the people that can’t read.

You are the definition of an internet troll - I wonder are you even aware of it?

Advertisement