Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe bonding issue

Options
  • 09-12-2023 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭

The earth bonding cable to copper pipes in our apartment has been severe by a prior owner. It looks like corners were cut to earth a booster pump.

The earth cable that was going to pipes now enters a junction box on the floor. The junction box is supplied from the fused spur. Inside the box, is a three gang connecting block. L and N from spur, seperate earth (pipe earth cable). Pump cable connected to the block (L, N and E).

While the pump is securely earthed, I am not comfortable with the lack of bonding on pipes. If this is not ok, How to rectify this?

I am thinking the original pipe earth should be reinstated. Then a new twin and earth feed installed from the consumer unit to the spur for the pump to be connected directly to this, not via a connecting block)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

The earth for bonding your pipes should be 10mm and fed directly from your distribution board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The earth cable is 10mm², but it was snipped and open end utilised to earth the pump.

The existing earth bonding straps on the pipes now serve no purpose. With the earth severed they are not linked back to the distribution board.

Ah. Got you now.

yeah best bet is to reinstate the earth bonding and run a new circuit for the pump as you have already stated

only a rec is permitted to do this work so have him do a quick check on your existing electrics while he’s there (it’s surprising that there wasn’t an earth from where they fed the pump from)

Thanks.

Its strange there is no earth to the spur, Every other socket and switch is earthed.

Any idea a rough cost for this work?

Lots of variables here

distance from distribution board

how easy it is to get a new cable to the pump

is there a rcd install(better off fitting the new circuit on its own rcbo)

circuit will need testing and certification

• Advertisement

The.distance is very short. From spur to distribution unit is max 4m of cable A dedicated circuit for pump is already on the unit (only the pump on it),

I don't know how difficult it would be to pull new cable. I would assume it's easiest to pull old cable (with wire or new cable attached) back to the unit.

I have done this on a mast of a boat when replacing old rigging inside the mast. Always easier to utilise what is there to install new ropes, or in this case cable.

As an alternative to pulling cable for just an earth, could an earth wire (only) be taken from the cylinder heating element back to the junction box I referred to in post 1 ? The pump would still be powered from the spur (as per original wiring).

The earth bonding to pipes could then be reinstated. Everything would be earthed then.

no

do It right and get a new cable installed directly back to distribution board

Advertisement