Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus cancelled flights

• 09-12-2023 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭

We were due to fly home recently with Aer Lingus from Munich. I received notification that the flight was cancelled due to bad weather. They re-routed us via Paris for the following day and that was also cancelled. We were stuck there with very few flights leaving. I spoke with AL and they specifically told me that we could make our own arrangements home and that we'd be compensated.

It was a bit of a planes. trains and automobiles situation. We got home 36 hours late via London. Our receipts included trains, two flights, two hotels, food and taxis. I submitted the receipts but the tone of the email response has me worried. What exactly are we entitled to ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Allinall

What did the email say?

You’re on dodgy ground doing your own thing, rather than letting AL sort you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭jos28

Email response below - I was on the phone for ages with them while they tried to find alternative flights. The agent told me that because our flight home had been cancelled twice and that AL could not find an alternative that we had 'permission' to make our own arrangements. I asked her several times if we would be refunded our expenses and she said yes. Yet it says below that alternative airline tickets cannot be considered. At the same time it says transport can be refunded ???

EI 357 was disrupted due to adverse weather. As such, this cancellation was due to “extraordinary circumstances” within the meaning of Regulation EC 261/2004, and consequently, no compensation is due in respect of this cancellation.

We note that you have also submitted a claim for refund of expenses incurred by you. We will refund reasonable and receipted expenses for meals, transport and accommodation where applicable and relative to the circumstances. If you have not already submitted receipts please do so by adding them to your case file using the link below.

Please be advised that claims of a consequential nature such as lost wages, alternative airline tickets, pre-paid tours, pre booked accommodation, pre-booked arrangements, car parking, etc. unfortunately cannot be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Allinall

That sounds like you’ll be refunded. The critical word is “reasonable “.

Obviously if you had hired a private jet to get yourself home you couldn’t expect to get that cost covered.

There were no private jets or luxury hotels 😁. Fingers crossed they pay up, I've a huge credit card bill to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

They’re not saying that your flight won’t be refunded. They’re saying that if you missed another flight because of the cancellation, you wouldn’t be refunded for that one. The same way as they’re saying you won’t be refunded for anything else you might miss because of a cancellation, like pre-booked accommodation or tours.

• Advertisement

Well the saga continues. I sent in €2k worth of receipts between 2 of us. This was for 2 flights, 2 hotel stays, train tickets, taxis and a bit of food.They 'settled' our case with €302 !!! That was for one hotel and a shuttle to the airport.

I contacted IAA who were very helpful. I've appealed their settlement based on the advice of the IAA. According to them we are entitled to our costs back regardless of the reason for cancellation. I think I have a battle on my hands

Advertisement