Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual electricity cost for your house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭denismc

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭glen123

No battery. To add one I am looking at a min of 3k because inverter would have to be upgraded. Since I get paid for export, this would make battery pay off even longer unless I install a larger pack that would take me off Daily rate completely (charge it at Night rate and use that during the day) but that's even more money to spend, so I am currently still thinking about it :)

Solar install was 5600eur after the grant. It includes Eddi that sends unused solar generated energy to heat the water in the tank. Without it it would have been 5100eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭lstmd

14,000Kw purchased per year, heat pump so no other heating costs plus electric car 2,500Km's per month. Solar panels also generated 3,246kw which I consumed and 3,640kw which were exported to the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Two month bills for many years were in the €150 range. Heading to €400+ these days.

Imagine running everything off electricity and having no other options - they'll have ye over a barrel and take you for as much as they can squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Philm_12

Yes - we’ll never see a €150 bill again 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

4 bed/4 bath terraced house with a2w heat pump, tumble dryer, dishwasher using the most, we both wfh often enough. 4000kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

4 Bedroom two stroey house Rural Bill in the last 12 months €2000 before the government money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

16 panels up .. get roughly half of what i consume from solar, the rest is mostly night rate @ 15c /kwh, so bills are less than 400 for the year after the gobernment thru us a few quid

thats with an electric car doing 15K kilometers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

8.2kWp of solar, 40kWh batteries.

6 bed house with 3 EVs

Total electricity use for the year is approx 14000kwh (hard to get an exact as I'm tallying across bills and the solar app) of which over 95% is at 13.5c night rate. With the feed in tariff paying me for exports and the government credit I've paid approx 250 euro for electricity since September 2022 which is when we got the solar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭PaoloGotti

3 bed semi with heat pump - 3,800 kWh per year.

I am baffled by those that use more than 30% extra on top of that, allowing for a few kids, as we make very little conscious effort to save energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

electric cars have an 50 - 100kwh battery

one charge from zero to full could be equivalent to the rest of the house for a week.

I'd imagine some people still heat water with an immersion and use resitance heaters in small rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭CrazyEric

How are you getting to 95% night usage? I am at 13,500 KWH but only getting 60/40 % night and that's with a heat pump heating underfloor at night.

Had a lot of Work from Home last year and had a converted attic space with Storage heater for a teenager studying. expecting a massive usage drop this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Just checked. We used 10400kwh in the last 12 months. 6090kwh was between the two EVs.

Urban 4 bed detached.

3 adults living in it. 2 working from home most of the time.

Oil heating, one fill does more than a year. All the water is heated from electricity only.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,946 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Top up the batteries each night in the winter (summer they are charged by the solar so no top up needed). That means the house is running on either solar and/or night rate for everything the inverter can power. The only exception would be demand spikes (eg electric shower, kettle or oven start up etc) where the first bit is pulled from the grid. My best bill was over 98% night rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

urban 4 bed semi - around 5000 units a year. No tumble dryer but the washing machine is on a lot and we have a dehumidifier running a lot of the time in the room with the clothes rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

About 200 units a month on standard 24hr metering . 3-bed semi only myself here

Jumped by about 50 units when I decided to brush the teeth in the shower. Had to cut that out cos the v good fan I have wasn't getting rid of enough condensation.

Will switch to smart meter and EV tariff next year . Looking to get dehumidifier and run it for few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

~11kw a day with a heat pump for a 4 bed!Jaysus that's incredible. How are you managing that?🤔

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There are just two people living here, there's no heating from may until november and really it's the heating that uses a lot. Winter days could be up at 20kwh-25kwh, with summer being 5kwh-8kwh a lot of days etc. Average for Nov was 16.2kwh, looking a bit higher for December.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Well the electric car is an obvious one indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

4 bedroom (circa 2100 sq feet) A3 rated house with an A2W heatpump and an EV on a D/N meter,

In 2022 we used 14,300 units and paid a total of 2,695 (net of the rebates) no solar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭1641

1200 sq ft semi-d. OFCH but all electric otherwise. Tumble dryer but no EV. WFH.

Approx 3000 kwh annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

There’s a few parts to this. 1) How much energy you use 2) Can you reduce that and save immediately with no outlay 3) If you’re on the best tariff (which takes a lot of shopping around).

No point adding solar or spending more money until you know you’ve already on what will be your lowest usage. We use 2800kWh a year for the house (ex heating and cooking which is gas, and ex EV charging). Small 2 bed house, 2 adults 2 kids. We intentionally keep usage low – which isn’t always easy. We've solar for 18months which is separate to the figures above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Very good advise (obvious).

Do you use solar power for the house/household needs? If yes - your 2800kWh is not reflecting your usage, it only show much you get from the grid.

You mention EV - this is household usage, unless you charging elsewhere

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

Prior to solar and the EV we used 2800kWh a year from the grid. It was higher in prior years but have moved to more energy efficient devices as other ones needed to be replaceded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Seadin

2882 square foot house newish build finished in 2020 .Fully insulated and A2 rated with heat pump.

This year we used 6750kws in total and total esb bill for the year was €1950. (Approx €163/month). No PV panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats very good going, do you have any other heating or just electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Seadin

I have a small 5kw solid fuel stove in the sitting room. It's just a back up incase we lose power or our primary heating gives up.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sponsorgate

5 bedroom (circa 2800 sq feet) A3 rated house with an 12kw heatpump. Underfloor throughout.

Day/night meter. Washing/tumble dryer predominantly night rate. No EV & no solar.

12000kWh in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Hi just wondering what rate you are on per unit as this seems very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Mine is about the same or more.

The companies seem to quote standard usage much lower

I don't know

Advertisement