Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking to buy a hours in Orlagh Grove, knocklyon, wondering if the noise from M50 is a problem?

Options
  • 10-12-2023 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

We are buying a house in Orlagh Grove, The house is about 250 meters from M50 in a straight line. We have been there a few times and some times like on sunny days with no wind, we felt that the noise from M50 was tolerable. But on rainy or windy days the noise from M50 was very loud. We are concerned about the health and mood effects of this noise as this will be our home. And will it affect the appreciation of the property, as we know that houses very close to the M50 do cost less. Please would any of you who live here share your experiences with us, many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kalimah

We’re in Glenlyon so very close to the M50 also. Never noticed the noise to be honest unless you stand up on the garden wall or you have upstairs windows open. Double glazing definitely makes a difference too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭SteM

Peoples tolerance of noise differ. My wife gets annoyed by noises outside our house that I don't even register. Imo, if the worry of noise from the M50 is on your mind before you buy you'll always notice it and will be effected by it. You've already said it, on the best days you found it tolerable. Not plesant or fine but tolerable. I wouldn't buy a place I have to tolerate rather than a place I actually enjoy living in.

I'm sure people will come along at some point and say that you'll get used to it over time but that's not always the case. Best of luck with your decision.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I lived less than 100m from the M50 for 10 years. It becomes background noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Lived about 500 meters from the M50 for a couple of years.

There is always a constant drone from it. Then you have sirens in the middle of the night. Some cars sound like aircraft driving along it.

Then different weather conditions the noise seems to get louder or quieter.

The worst seemed to be at late night when its very cold out. You would nearly think the M50 was in your living room. Some warm summer nights you wouldnt hear it at all.

I woudlnt have thought i was that sensitive to road noise but it turns out I am.

Would I ever live in a house that close to a motorway again if i could help it? No fking way.

I got curious as i was writing that and google it. It seems like it is a thing. https://www.quora.com/Why-do-I-often-hear-a-very-clear-sound-of-a-train-at-midnight-though-where-I-live-there-is-no-train-station-or-something-related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭C3PO

Wouldn’t bother me at all but different people have different tolerance levels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 TurboTerror

I'm originally from that area but have lived in the country for 20 years. When I visit I notice the low noise. Interestingly though when I mention it to the neighbours they don't notice the drone at all. So like the above poster, it becomes background quickly enough.

Advertisement