Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Jacovs

They are listed as RB on the official F1 app in the constructors.

You need to make up your mind.

Commentators call Perez by his unofficial name, Checo, massive problem.

Commentators call a team by their unofficial name, VCarb, thats gospel.

I dont know if Tsunoda will do better than Perez though. I hope he does if he gets a chance to. Otherwise he might go the way of Albon, or best case back to RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Checo is just too un-reliable. He cannot be trusted to even get the basics of in to q3 right. RB don't have the time. McClaren and especially Ferrari will be up their arse in no time.

If Checo makes a balls of quali this weekend, you'll start hearing the rumours for sure

On a sidenote, the rumours of Maxi heading the way of Merc also seem to be getting more substanstial.

Isn't that the big rumour. Audi have given Sainz a month to decide but he is waiting to see if Max will jump to Merc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They are listed as RB on the official F1 app in the constructors.

I did not know that. Well then it is wrong too. Do you not think it is confusing Red Bull and RB? People just think someone is lazy and mean Red Bull so in my opinion Vcarb is a better name for them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

F1 TV call them V-Carb, channel 4 follow suit because they are sharing coverage. Sky Sports and BBC Radio call them RB. The new Auto sport editor Rebecca Clancy calls them Contactless ATM Cash back whatever they're called. 😄

I note that Perez has dropped behind LeClerc in the championship. I reckon he has until the summer break to get back up to 2nd. If he falls behind another driver, he's out automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Honestly, I think the jokes about team names work once at a maximum. 6 months later calling it Contactless ATM Cash back whatever they're called, is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Just learn the new name.

It was similar with Racing Point Force India. It made my arse wink when people kept pretending not to understand the name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's a very poor name though.

V Carb is easiest to say but from a sponsors pov it completely loses any obvious reference to visa, cash app or redbull.

Racing point was a whole other level of smart thinking.

You could say the same of half the teams. Who says Aston Martin Aramco? Or Mercedes-AMG Petronas? Or Moneygram Haas? Or even OracleRed Bull?

They're knows as Aston Martin, Haas, Mercedes and Red Bull.

I presumed Visa Cash App is an American thing anyway. In this part of the world we do bank transfers that happen instantaneously. Americans need third party apps which take a few days. The product doesn't isn't for us, so i wouldn't worry about them not getting bang for their buck.

I'd probably refer to it as Visa RB. It's not an issue either way but it's definitely not side splittingly hilarious to pretend not to understand the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What was the smart thinking about the Racing Point name? Am I missing something obvious?

You weren't actually meant to say "Point" it was just meant to be "Racing. " So combined with the title sponsor it becomes "BWT Racing."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh because of the logo? Everyone called it racing point though, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It was officially Racing Point as you couldnt name a team just 'Racing' but the official logo was Racing with a large Dot after it.

It allowed any new sponsor come in and basically take over the full naming rights of the team as far as the visual advertising was concerned..... BWT Racing (dot)

Seeing as complete name changing is not allowed in f1 if you want to keep your prize money, the Racing point naming was a work of genius.

Ms

Mclaren have a special Ayrton Senna livery for this weekend,

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mclaren/senna/363232/mclaren-ayrton-senna-pictures

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just needs a bit of brown on the front wing and it’ll look like a Loop the Loop. 😜

Ah it looks ok tbf, just nowhere near as good as the Marlboro livery he drove in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I thought we were getting a Marlboro style livery as their Monaco merch is red, white and black

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yeah same here, the clothing would have you thinking the car was going to be along the same lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Infoanon

While Pat Symonds joining Andretti is the big story this side of the Atlantic ,stateside the big story is liberty media CEO Greg Maffai allegedly threatening Mario Andretti that 'he (Greg) would do everything to stop Andretti ever getting into F1 '.

So far liberty media have declined to comment.

With congressional hearings into liberty and the exclusion of Andretti gathering pace there could be trouble ahead for liberty media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Congressional hearings? Wtf, has Congress not got any real work to be doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Liberty are a US company and thus subject to US laws related to anti competitive practices, which congress plays a role in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Infoanon

On Tuesday (May 21) a bipartisan group of senators including the chair of the judiciary subcommittee on antitrust ,Sent Amy Klobuchar, sent a letter to the justice department antitrust division and the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) requesting an investigation into whether liberty has violated U.S. antitrust laws.

Separately the Judiciary Committee Chair has launched an independent inquiry.

Any truth to the allegation that Greg Maffei personally threatened Mario Andretti will be damaging to Liberty ,an antitrust investigation could be a disaster.

Andretti have made it clear that they did not approach the law makers.

This is big news and has been ignored so far by the European press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Autosport are reporting that Sainz is in talks with Williams…that would be a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭This is it

Thats pretty rough, very good driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Do we know why Liberty is so opposed to Andretti? It seems like it must be personal rather than sporting or business related. They're fine with an investment company like Dorilton taking over Williams or Lance Stroll taking over Force India (Lance Stroll is actually involved in F1 since the 90s according to Joe Saward).

But they're totally opposed to an actual racing team with all the knowledge and experience you could ever hope for in a new F1 team.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Generally, it seems to be about money. If there is another team on the grid, the money for each team will be less for each team to take home, depending where they finish on the grid. This is IF Andretti were to enter as a totally new team, not sure if they will or even want to take over an existing team. The Concord Agreement is also up for review soon, and if that gets signed then it pretty much closes off any path for Andretti to enter.

There could be additional reasons given, but my understanding is it is all about the money. In F1, it usually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Surely there can't be any truth in that, it would be a complete waste of a good driver. I've seen that RedBull offered Checo a year extension but he turned it down as he wants a 2 year extension. Seeing as his contract is up this year and RedBull don't want him for 2026 you'd imagine RedBull cut Checo loose at the end of the season and would be all over Sainz

Fair one. I don't get how it works. I thought the pot would be split 11 ways with a $200m parachute payment to soften the blow. So I'm surprised it's not the teams objecting too.

I didn't think it would come from Liberty's share.

Fair. And I wouldn't trust Lance to run his own affairs, let alone a whole team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

sainz caused hassle when he was there previously hence why he left mid season. About trying to push to be promoted over max.

Advertisement