Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's already open since last year. I think their wind tunnel is due to open end of this year.

I reckon they're all in on 2026 regs to hit the ground running with honda too. If they don't nail that though it'll be very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Brendon Hartley, if it weren't for his broadcasting career - Jolyon Palmer, Antonio Giovinazzi, Sergey Sirotkin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If we're talking about drivers from the past decade, then you forgot about Max Chilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Soc_Alt

These journalists who are still banging on about the incident between Max And Lando are making themselves look like fools and making Lando look weak as an F1 driver.

Lando should be embarrassed with his own comments after the race and should learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Most of those incumbents would be better off without a seat at this stage. Sainz as a probable exception as he's in his prime still. The rest are either past it or never had it. Much as I love bottas the character, you have to admit he's not up to much .

Bearman has to be on the grid next year after his run this year. Lawson showed pretty well too. I'd take either of those over anyone on the incumbent list, as well as half the rest of the incumbents that re-signed. (I'm looking at you Stroll, Perez, Tsunoda etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭quokula

Lando has rowed back those comments. He's now admitted that it was nothing more than an unfortunate racing incident and has even said it's the kind of hard racing that puts a smile on his face and that he wants to see more of.

In the heat of the moment when fueled with adrenaline he said some things he shouldn't have, but he was also being egged on by the utterly embarrassing media who were asking extremely leading questions at a time when Lando had not yet had a chance to sit down and properly analyse what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Bearman, I dunno. Yes he was impressive in Saudi but Nyck DeVries was impressive in Monza for Williams and look what happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Soc_Alt

I would think Lawson will be in the RB seat in 2025 replacing Ricciardo who will be gone from F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I'm glad to hear that. He seems a decent skin. McClaren however with the loud mouth in charge are starting to be un-likeable. They were always one of my favourite teams. I suppose they have Strella who'd be the opposite of the other clown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Jacovs

If I had to choose a team to support it would be McLaren. Not either of the drivers, just the team. I dont support any particular driver across the grid. I must be in the minority here, and I can tell just by looking at Zak Brown he is/can be a proper asshole, but for some strange reason I kinda like him, his energy on the grid. He always seems genuinely happier than the drivers when they get good results. Like it means so much to him. I suppose the other team principles like Horner and Toto are/were so used to winning its worn off on them and success in F1 is relatively new for Brown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,838 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I reckon every team principle in F1 can be a proper A-hole.
    If they couldn't be they would not be where they are.

I was a McClaren fan long before RedBull came along, and i'm not that much of a red bull fan either. Horner is an absolute toerag. But one thing i am is a massive Max fan, to the point it pi**es me off when he doesn't win a race.

I know sad, but, i have him on the same pedastal as Senna.

The Shcumacher years for me, were boring AF. Then it became even more boring through the Merc dominance era. But thankfully now F1 has become good again.

My dislike for sky runs deep, but unfortunately it is really only place you can access the coverage i want to watch. They are the most bias shower of **** that have ever commentated on any sport. Lando is there new golden boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Jacovs

I used to follow F1 a bit as a kid, not religiously, and this would be the late 90's to early 00's. Around the time of the black and white McLaren West liveries. Hakkinen and Coulthard days. Then there was maybe 20 years between that time and when I picked F1 up again middle 2021. So yeah, no particular like or dislike for any particular drivers in general, just some days a driver might annoy me or do something stupid I dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Always hated McLaren in the 90s, they were always the bad guys in the McLaren vs Ferrari duel. In recent years I’d mellowed on them with Mercedes becoming more of the pantomime villains of F1, and the “retirement” of Ron Dennis meaning there wasn’t really a figure to hate at the team. However Zak Brown is really growing into the role. His antics in Indycar recently also isn’t helping.

F1 for me now is as much enjoyment as it is fcuking annoying. Back before that stupid series DTS you could get to any grand prix worldwide for reasonable enough amount of cash.

Prices are ludicrous. Like this bollox i have linked. I'll still get to one this year, but between , flights, hotels and tickets, looking at close to 5 grand for some venues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I've had a similar experience. There was such a culture of absolute corruption at McLaren under Ron Dennis, whether it was conducting corporate espionage and stealing Ferrari's blueprints, having drivers deliberately lie to stewards to get opponents penalised, the secret third pedal etc. They did have some likeable drivers at times like Hakkinen and Raikkonen but it was really hard to get behind the team with Ron Dennis at the helm.

After going through the stint of Whitmarsh and the return of Dennis, when Zak finally came in it felt like a breath of fresh air and I really liked where he took the team and was a fan at first. But the more you see of Zak over the years though the more dislikeable he is. Whether it's the constant mouthing off and bullshitting, the palling around with Trump, the mistreatment of drivers in Indy, he's a really easy guy to dislike.

I do still like the team currently though, I respect figures like Stella and particularly like their two drivers right now and want to see them achieve.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

To be fair to Brown, the Trump thing was foisted on them by F1, they didn't ask for him to be in their garage.

And to give him his credit, he's turned the team around and look at their sponsor list too. Not bad…

He's done a great job turning it around. No doubting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

Fair play to him if so, he must be annoyed with his chances lately, arguably faster in Canada and Max won, lost by less than a second to him in Imola, looked good to beat Max on merit in Austria and they collided, on another day he could be 4 victories into this season but he “only” has 1.

If McLaren keep up the pace and Lando learns from these near misses they will go only one way IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Bearman in at haas in 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mercedes could be switching to Adidas for next season.

They were with Puma for a long time, so it will be cool to see adidas join the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AM close to securing Newey it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not surprised he got a drive. Assuming it goes well he could be a replacement for Lewis at ferrari

I'd assume that's Ferrari longterm plan. What will Lewis give? max 3 years i reckon. He'll know within the first few months of new regs if he'll ever get that next championship he wants

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Yeah hopefully Lando will learn from this, he didn't cover himself in glory with his attempts to overtake Max and probably let his frustration get the better of him in the end. A cooler head last Sunday might have seen him make the pass without any contact as he has a faster car with DRS.

That's not to absolve Max of his share of the blame either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Most commentators/analysts in all sports exhibit bias but those on Sky F1 are not entirely pro - brit. Croft, for example, is clearly a big Max fan but not an admirer of Hamilton.

Crofty has always remained unbiased doing his job, and having watched hundreds of Grand Prix with him commentating I couldn’t tell you who his favourite driver is.

And my problem with sky is not with their bias, it’s their anti- bias against red bull and max which has been ever present for close on 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

That's a moot point.

• Advertisement

Simon Lazenby is particularly annoying with his bias.

Advertisement