Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options
1636465666769»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Each car is different. The Red Bull has proven to be difficult to drive for all non-Verstappen drivers of late, but Ricciardo was well able for it when he was there. Admittedly it's a different car now, but there must be something there with him and Red Bull behind the scenes that tells them he might be able for it still. Why else would they keep him?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Formula 1 is a complex sport, and success often depends on having a team built around a driver. Unfortunately, Ricciardo hasn’t experienced that within the 2022 regulations because he hasn't adjusted to the new cars. As a result, he found it challenging to fully understand and integrate into what has essentially been Lando Norris’s and Yuki Tsunoda’s teams.

Moreover, Ricciardo’s performance in the newer F1 cars introduced after 2022 hasn’t been as strong as in the pre-2022 cars. These modern cars are larger and heavier, which might not align well with his driving style.

Ricciardo performed well during testing sessions with Verstappen’s Red Bull. If he were to drive a better car, it could potentially address some of the nuances he dislikes and allow him to make significant progress. In fact, I believe he could outperform Sergio Perez, making the risk of signing him for half a season worthwhile. He's raced at the front and he was once a brilliant driver. Perez has always been a mid-field shoe in behind Verstappen.

As for Perez, it seems his time in F1 may be coming to an end. While he’s a good driver, similar to Valtteri Bottas, it might be time for him to explore other opportunities beyond Formula 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think Daniels problem with these cars is now that they are ground effect cars they perform differently compared to the ones that depended a lot more on aero before these. Maybe Daniels driving style just does not work with these cars.

I would like to see if he could do better in the Red Bull too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Soc_Alt

Seen an Interesting comment about Mick Schumacher to either Alpine or Audi could be made soon.

Daniel won't be in F1 in 2025.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

who will he drive for?

Doesn't have a 2025 seat and the shareholders have made it clear that Racing Bulls is a junior team and has to be run in that manner.

Lawson will be brought in instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭quokula

If Ricciardo wasn't popular off the track he would be out of the sport a few years now. He failed badly at McLaren, both pre- and post- ground effect, and he's done nothing of note at RB where Yuki has consistently looked the better driver. The idea of promoting him to the parent team on the back of his performances just seems crazy to me. I agree that he will be out and Lawson will be in.

Whether Perez keeps his seat or they promote Yuki or Lawson leapfrogs all the way up or they go outside their stable I don't know. I honestly have doubts anyone available will do meaningfully better than Checo in that seat, people forget how good he has always been through his career and he's not that old yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There was fresh talk of Ricciardo to Red Bull and Lawson to RB. Checo putting it in the barriers is really giving them a headache, I’d have Yuki in the main team but he doesn’t seem to have favour there, even though he is better than Dani right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

"There was fresh talk of Ricciardo to Red Bull and Lawson to RB."

Wait a minute. How can they both go to the same team? Unless Sergio and Max both leave that is not going to happen.

. I honestly have doubts anyone available will do meaningfully better than Checo in that seat, people forget how good he has always been through his career and he's not that old yet.

He has lost his confidence and Red Bull badly need a driver there who can perform. I think Perez will be gone after next weekends race in Spa and Ricciardo will be in for the rest of the season.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭quokula

Perez can perform though. He's shown that time and again through his career. If they take another driver who also "can" perform they'll soon be hit by the fact that the Red Bull is an incredibly tricky car to get good pace out of, that Max is impossible to keep up with, and that they will have a target on their back simply for being a Red Bull driver and we'll see how long their confidence will last. We've already seen this with the previous two drivers in that seat before Perez. Whoever they put in that seat, I'm almost certain we'll be having the same conversation about them a year from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,838 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't see what swapping Perez for Ricciardo gets you.
    If its just to fill the seat in for 6 months til the season ends…. just stick with Perez. I see no reason to think DR does much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I think even this mediocre Daniel could at least keep the car in the top 10 in qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Agreed. I have a suspicion all is not well in the RedBull camp at the moment.

Max sounds seriously pi**ed off, Horner doesn't get on with Marko, Jos hates Horner. Checo can't qualify for ****. Newey gone/going. McClaren quicker

Max will win the world title this year but they'll lose the constructors title

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Perez is paying for it. Lawson may deserve it on potential and arguably Tsunoda deserves it on merit, this season. Not an easy one to solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Jacovs

McLaren caught up 27 points to RedBull this race alone. They are now 2nd, 16 points ahead of Ferrari, and only 51 points behind RedBull. 2 more races like this and they are ahead of RedBull.

Verstappen has a 76 point cushion over Norris in second place so that will take a bit longer to catch up, if at all. 11 rounds left, on average Norris need to score 7 points per weekend more than Verstappen to catch him. Not outside the realms of possibilities, but gap might be just a bit too big.

7 different race winners in the first 13 rounds.

3 top teams separated by 67 points, Mercedes another 81 points behind and could also catch up to have 4 teams in the mix by end of season.

Many many driver moves being made (even if at end of season, but its all playing out during this season).

This season is turning into a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ricciardo makes sense for 2 reasons.

He likes a similar setup to max and he is a multiple race winner.

I think perez biggest problem is that the car is being designed for max and being taken in a direction that is not to his liking.

Ricciardo liking a similar car to max should be a major plus and allow him to at least get somewhere close to max.

With his experience, he is also a better bet than lawson where results are needed for the rest of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think there’s a lot of talk about Max taking engine penalties soon as they’ve used up their allowance already for some components already, the Red Bull definitely isn’t as racey this year and it’s no guarantee he’d cut through the field as fast he normally does, and when he does the mercs/ferraris and McLarens are no gimmes for overtakes these days so chance for McLaren to reel in redbull whenever those chances pop up.

The competitiveness this year is great, hopefully it will carry into next season before the reg changes.

Advertisement