Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil service mobility and aftermath

• 11-12-2023 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Wondering if anyone can help! Have moved department through mobility and am actually hating it have mailed the ceasp and spoke to hr but not gotten much info! I am really not enjoying the job it’s not something I know of an enjoying learning dreading logging in tomorrow again cried logging out Friday!! Has anyone had any luck with movement after mobility or advice or any help?! Would appreciate any advise at this stage as feel like handing my notice in but been in civil service years and don’t want it to end like this and the risk of not getting a job somewhere else then?! Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lauras5839

Hey I'm really sorry that you've found it so hard this far. How long were you in your last Department? How long are you in your new spot? Is there a chance that you just haven't settled in yet? Feeling like it's all been a mistake can be a very natural feeling after a big change like this. If it's a recent enough move, say within the year, and if it's genuinely that you just don't like the job and not something awful like abuse from managers or something else dire then perhaps give it more time to allow yourself to settle fully. This can take a while but it will happen if you keep at it and then one day you'll realise it's actually not that bad anymore.

Focus on whatever good points are in your new job and why you choose to move in the first place, e.g. are you closer to home? Gaining new experience so you can go for promotion? I don't know but whatever it was you moved for a reason so try to remember that.

I would for sure advise not making any rash decisions while you're feeling like this, such as resigning as you could find yourself in a worse position unless you have something to go to.

If you really want out of your current spot then your CS options are PAS competitions and maybe secondment opportunities. You can't revert after a mobility move unless both HRs want it and it's very rare as it's against the rules of mobility.

If you feel you can approach them could you talk to your line manager and see about a move within your unit to something else? Ask for some new additional duties that might break up the bit of the job you don't like? Or speak to your HR about a move to a totally new unit?

Or you could go to the private sector but then again you choose the CS for a reason in the first place so maybe you don't want to do that.

I'd keep an eye out on Public Jobs and see if anything there would suit.

But do try to figure out why you're unhappy, if it's some feeling coming from inside you then it will likely follow you to a new spot. Maybe talking it all out with someone in the CSEAS or similar would help?

I hope you can find a situation you're happy in whatever happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Avenger2020

Departments like this should be named and shamed.

It sounds like you have a bully boss. Why won’t he/she offer guidance about the job? Or even help by providing a reference for a secondment or a job in the private sector? I left the CS and my current boss in the private sector actually makes work enjoyable- not to mention free trips etc. I haven’t looked back since.

I had a horrible experience in a central government department. (The Department is now after launching a huge PR campaign to get new people in the door because turnover has been so high. They basically got new people not yet completed probation to give great reviews about the work culture - all lies of course!)

u accepted a mobility so you must have liked the job in the first instance for some reason (as the above poster mentioned). You should write out the pros and cons. For the cons, see what your boss can do. If its the boss that’s the issue, check what HR can do. You have many years experience in the Civil Service, you shouldn’t have to leave like this just because of a bad fit. It seems to me that there’s more to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sage2024

I hope that you are in a better job by now. Trust your instincts. Your health is more important than a job. There are so many toxic places in the CS and it is always the good people that suffer most. Uncaring dishonest ambitious ones thrive and at the back of it is gross incompetence. I have no doubt that you’re not the only one who feels that way. Don’t give up - there are always ways and means to move around. Take stress leave if you need to - talk to the CMO - talk to the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ali1993

I’m in this exact boat right now and on the search for answers! Did you stick it out or find a way out?

Advertisement