Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shifter problem

Options
  • 11-12-2023 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi everyone..

The right shifter is gone on my bike... its a shimano rs 505 11 speed hydraulic shifter.. would anyone know where I could get one of these please

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

When you say gone, go you mean it's not shifting, or maybe shifting in one direction but not the other way or something is visibly broken? If the former, you might be able to sort it

There's a fairly common issue with Shimano shifters whereby the original grease solidifies over time causing them to stop shifting. I had this issue a few years ago with my rear 105 shifter and managed to fix it by getting rid of the old lubricant and re-lubing it with some spray. To do this, peel back the hood from the from to expose the innards - it's tight and doesn't look like it's possible, but it is. There's also a little access port on the side you can unscrew which you should also do. Give the whole thing a good blast with a spray degreaser trying to make sure you get everywhere - pull the brake lever to try to get a bit more access. Leave this to work for a few minutes, rinse it out thoroughly, and leave it to dry (you could probably accelerate this a bit with compressed air). When dry, give it a liberal spraying of lube (I can't remember what I used exactly - but definitely something picked up in Lidl/Aldi in one of their sales), wipe off the excess, replace the hood, and see if it works.

I did find a video showing how to do it online, but wouldn't have the link handy

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JoeFloyd

also... check the cable hasn't frayed inside the shifter. it may take removal of the hood and the panel underneath to check. happens a lot on shimano shifters.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I have one of these. It’s currently fitted on a bike but I’ve been meaning to swap it, & the non matching left shifter, out for a matching set I got on here last Summer.

The shifter is not in great condition, it’s got a few scratches etc. Let me know if interested & I can send a few photos.

Advertisement