Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go after someone's insurance over a parking dent ?

• 11-12-2023 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Grumpy old bastid slammed his door off my car today as I sat in the car park. I wound down my window and told him to be careful and my intention was to leave it at that. He said he couldn't give a "monkey's" and slammed his car door and drove off... Have his reg on dash cam as he pulled out from beside me. Worth the hassle going after his insurance for repair ? His attitude is driving me to go after him, I'd really just have left it otherwise. He will give a monkeys when his insurance goes up. Grumpy old fecker.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'd say if possible go after him for it.

He'll be more careful next time if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Wouldn't be bothered by a small dent tbh, I'd go after it purely to put manners on him.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

This is my position on this. Just to let him know he can't give me the finger and just drove off like he did.

The camera was off as I was parked at the time, when he got into his car I turned the ignition on to capture him pulling out. Wasn't expecting him to tell me to F off and if I was expecting it I would have turned the camera on before I said a word to him. I guess the shopping center camera was beside us and maybe would have caught the incident.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

I would absolutely go after him, amazing how people can not give a shite about hitting another door in a carpark, it’s as if it’s acceptable! Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Robert Jackson

If you are able to claim against him why not go for it teach him to change his attitude in future my sister had a similar incident with some young lad about 19 who thought he was the big man she wasn't going to bother at first as it was just a tiny dent in her bumper but because he mouthed off she took the appropriate action and it turned out that the clown was driving with no insurance so yes absolutely definitely look into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

100% go after him. I had a very similar experience, old fella hit his door off mine and dented the door. Asked him to cover the cost of pdr as it isn't that expensive but got mouthy with me so I went after his insurance. Doesn't matter how small the dent is, if someone does damage to your car then they should be made pay for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

While I’m in agreement with the posters above, only thing on my mind is “claims on your insurance” - if you put in a claim, even though you’re not at all at fault, does it impact premiums or limit you when looking for insurance elsewhere for 4-5 years after the claim - ie the question “have you had any claims on your insurance in the last 5 years?”

If someone can clarify that this would all be well on that aspect because it’s not your fault, then yeah absolutely go for it. I’m just thinking whatever small money it would take to fix your door, what would the impact on your insurance premiums be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

You say you have his reg but do you know who he’s insured with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

They would be claiming against the other person's insurance, not their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You will have to prove he damaged your vehicle. Dashcam of a car moving away from yours won't be sufficient. Is there any paint transfer? Are their any witnesses?. It is possible there is a corresponding dent on his vehicle, so if you lodge a claim against him, they will send an assessor to examine both vehicles.

Unless the circumstances are proved , his insurers will not pay out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I know but it’s still a claim even if it’s without fault -

I don't know who he is insured with, I guess I would give the reg to the Garda and they will forward me on his details when they contact him ? His car was a black 181 Ford Focus.

Post edited by mondeo on

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Marymoore

id leave the poor man alone. A lot of the time it’s hard not to brush your door off another car so I’d understand him getting annoyed if you were giving out to him. He has to get out of his car and sometimes hitting a door is inevitable .. I know it’s annoying for you especially if ur car is relatively new but have to try see the other persons side too. I doubt he did it on purpose.. Also 2 wrongs don’t make a right and personally wouldn’t wanna bring stress to another person. Look at it this way, if you weren’t in the car at the time, u probably wouldn’t even know?

If you are in the wrong, own it, the op has said that it was his attitude that is now making him consider making a claim.

Op, I would definitely do it. A panel beater is not going to fix a small dent made by a door for free.

This isn’t a court where proof must be beyond doubt. Accidents happen all the time without witnesses or dash cam, the fact that the op has the reg and description of both the event and driver should be enough for the insurer to investigate the claim. At the very least they will contact the cranky fecker for his account, that alone should soften his cough and make him more careful.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Hitting another persons door is not inevitable.

Can I ask you to please never park beside me and if at all possible never drive?

• Go for him. Should teach him a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Klopp

Regardless of his attitude, I wouldn't let it go if the dent is noticeable and significant enough, cars and insurance cost us all enough money nowadays and it will be you who has to pay if and when the time comes to trade or sell your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

definitely go after him, ignoramus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

If you damage something belonging to someone else you apologize and offer to pay top get it fixed. You dont curse them out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

Same thing happened to us with my wife’s car, they shrugged, said so what and left.

I reported it to the Guards with the reg, They sent a car around and apparently the people were mortified a patrol car was at their door, long story short we had it repaired and they paid us.

a month after the guard contacted me to confirm it was paid, if it wasn’t he told me he would prosecute him for leaving the scene of an accident.

the guard asked me was if he damage or the attitude that got me mist, he understood.

the cheek if them, of course you follow it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Idiotic attitudes like this is the reason why people take 2 spots in car parks. If you can’t get out of your car, move to another spot.

The Garda was talking shite because it's not the scene of an accident and its a civil matter so I don't see how they had any right to go anywhere near his house based off you giving them a reg

It’s an accident. A car hit another car causing damage and left the scene.

Quite simple really.

Normal procedures were followed.

The damages “may” be a civil matter but the person involved in the accident has lawful procedures to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

theres a name for that, "hit and run" and it is criminal not civil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

Maybe he had a terrible day. Who knows.

Hardly worth the hassle for either of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I'll head down to the local cop shop and have a chat to them and see what they say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Go down and tell them someone hit your car causing damage, that you brought it to the attention of the person that they had damaged your car and that they acknowledged what they had done and that they subsequently fled the scene without providing any details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Ronney

OP will say the TPs car hit his, The TP will deny it. Without physical proof or an independent witness, the TPs insurers will just tell the OP to go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭xabi

Life is short, let it go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This kind of attitude is why pricks like the one the OP came up against feel they can get away with this kind of behaviour.

100% go after him OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

Jesus, lets hope the majority of posters here never have a bad day or do anything wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

If you claim you will have to declare in on your insurance for years until it is completed and it can make it more diffcult to get online quotes or move insurers. Probably not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you damage someones property and dont even have the decency to apologise what do you expect.

Who cares if they are having a bad day, what has that got to do with carelessly and needlessly banging your car door into someone elses car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

If damage is consistent between both cars they most definitely will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

OH FFS...it's not a hit and run and it's not the scene of an accident. Both cars were stationary and a door bumped off another car. It's very annoying and the person should have to pay. But common sense applies and this is a civil rather than a criminal matter. This is NOT a hit and run.

Id expect someone not to go after you out of spite. The OP advised it was no damage really. But hey, you do you.

People saying he should go to the guards.

"Hello sergeant, I know you are busy but a man hit my car door and there is no damage and its not a big deal but he was mean to me so now I want to chase him to the ends of the earth and make sure he is punished to the full extent of the law."

"The decency to apologise". Maybe the person in question regretted their actions immediately and went back but the OP was gone. Tough sh!te buddy, you made a mistake for 10 seconds so now you have to pay.

This is peak boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,541 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sure why don't you go full Bailey and invest in a neckbrace and a wheelchair first and get someone to wheel you into the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think we've found the people who'll mark someone's car and give two fingers to you.

And expect no consequences.....

Difference is, if we have a bad day, fair enough. But if we damage someone else’s property, we must own up and be responsible for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Ginger83

He should absolutely go after it if there was damage caused. It's attitudes like this is why we have scrotes and scrote behaviour in this country.

Some years ago a car overtook a line of cars we were part of and a truck forcing oncoming cars off the road. I flashed the driver and his passenger climbed out of the window to give us the fingers. I pursued it all the way to turning up in court. The driver turned up with a translator and a barrister. He lost his licence for 2 years.

I've often wondered if he learnt anything from it and realised his actions and the attitude of his passenger put him off the road. I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It's a horrible attitude to have to other people property.

It's not difficult to get out of a car and not hit the car beside yours .

This man had a horrible attitude and obviously not a scrap of respect for anyone else's property.

A 'bad day' is no defence. Would those who used this as an excuse for this man's behaviour accept it as an excuse if their car was hit by some ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Show us a picture of the damage and then people can decide better, what year is your car? Is it in spotless condition or a bit weathered?

A. negligible and you are making a big deal, he is right, move on.

B. It is a bit of a ding and should be repaired, follow it up.

Post edited by 1874 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What's with all this 'bad day' shite?

Never in my life have I damaged someone's property and then when called out on it, been an arse to them. And I've had plenty of 'bad days'.

Maybe don't be a dickhead to people as a general rule? Doesn't really matter how your day is going.

• Ah go away with that

I’ve had plenty of bad days where I’m a bit of a cnut right enough but I tell you I never damaged someone’s property and told them to fcuk off! That’s absolutely ridiculous.

Where was anyone told to **** off?

• Advertisement
Advertisement