Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky SIRO - FIbre 500MB but wireless drops dramatically when about 25 feet from router?

Options
  • 12-12-2023 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭

Helping an elderly person set up their smart tv, smart phone and tabletm both android. I got everything working. House is a bungalow and the sky router ONT is at about skirtboad level in the living room wall ie near front door. Cabling very neat and they were belssed as the pole is almost in the garden. With an iphone 12 pro I get 540mb next to router and 220 in kitchen next door, all solid wall block walls but on the android its very low either by router or in kitchen. Shows about 40mb.

However when I go down the hall to last bedroom I'm lucky to get 5mb on iphone and zilch on android. Signal seems to just die!!

There is a power point halfway down the hallway and I have a spare TP link extender that I will try.

But I am mystified as to why the signal dies completely at such a short distance.

As of now I know little about the sky hub and any help would be great. Cost is an issue, this is the 35 euro package. There are power points next to bed and I have heard of a gadget that uses the mains, wiring is very recent so may be on same main but don't know what make is best or will work. Wireless is required for best option.

Can I tweak the router or any help is gratefully accepted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

are you using 2.4GHz Wireless or 5GHz wireless, 2.4 G will have better range. If you want to fix it the I'd go with a TP link Deco 3 station mesh network and set them up as an access point then turn off the sky wifi. It's about 150 euros and very easy to setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭swoofer

Will try the tp link extender first as cost an issue. using 2.4 on tv but get no options on phone or tablet, it just connects.

is this the one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-Deco-M3-Wall-Plug-Replacement/dp/B07ZWFG7DN?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Post edited by swoofer on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

25 foot is not a lot but I take it its not 25 foot line of sight, there are walls in between, how many, 1, 2, 3? Also is the ONT at skirting board level or the router or both? ONT doesn't really matter where it is but router at floor level may not be ideal.

What WIFI connection types are your phones using? 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz? Most modern routers provide both and you should be able to configure at the router. As in if 5Ghz is just crap turn 5Ghz off at the router thereby forcing devices onto the 2.4Ghz connection.

5Ghz is potentially a good bit faster but has a lower range and doesn't react to obstacles/walls well. 2.4Ghz is a bit slower but has a better range and is a quite a bit more stable with regards to obstacles.

Wall plug extenders may work but most connections via electric circuit connectors aren't terribly fast either. A lot depends on the wiring in the house. It may be pretty good or it may not be. Worth a try for sure since it doesn't involve a lot of work and may just sort the problem.

If that doesn't work a wired WIFI extender may be the best options. As in drill through the wall(s) and run an ethernet wire from the router to the extender. Or run into and through the attic and install extender from ceiling or so.

Thanks all, having read a bit about that HUB it looks as if 5GHZ takes priority and what I need to do is set the 2 bands in the router. The smart TV is very old but it did show the 2 bands so I could pick 2.4 but neither my phone or the android items gave a choice. I'd say having the 2 bands will sort it.

I'll put the router on a plant stand or similar and use a longer lan cable. Its ironic that the sky website says " Dont place on floor"" And yes it was placed on floor even though there was a nice unit about 5 foot away. But for a place that never had BB to go to 500mb is not to be sneezed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭eronayne

Give sky a shout. They can send you out a booster hub

• Advertisement

I think they charge for the booster? But a very good idea. One other thing I have a spare EIR FTTH router could I use that instead of the SKY HUB?

I had a look and found this on amazon

Q-View Latest Sky Q Booster Wall Mount Bracket (White) - Made in the UK - by Q-View (SE210UK, Plastic)

very cheap.

Advertisement