Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I use my ASUS RT-AX86U to replace the EIr broadband router or as a repeater?

Options
  • 13-12-2023 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have just had broadband installed to my house. As it is an old farmhouse with walls thicker than a castle wall, I wonder whether I'd be better off using my router (from another installation elsewhere) as a repeater or to monkey with its configuration and replace the router supplied by Eir. I'm in a rural area, so security/hacking isn't really a concern.

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter and identifications of the major pros and cons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Not sure of the details of either of those routers, but I think the answer depends on the size of the area you're looking to cover. From the initial sound of it, you'd be best off setting up a relay or mesh to boost the signal in rooms (or buildings) further from the main router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bfreck

Will start with using my router in booster (relay) mode and see what coverage I'll get.

Advertisement