Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ration/Meal getting stolen out of a meal bin

Options
  • 13-12-2023 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

Have gotten meal/ration stolen out of mealbin twice now. Had two locks (on outside door and handle to discharge meal) both times and cut probably with hand angle grinder or the like. Probably lost half a tonne first time and two tonne the second time. Both times they emptied it.

The way the yard is set up, the mealbin is just out of sight of the main light in the yard. Have cameras in the shed for calving could easily and cheaply add another one in the yard, but it won't pick up the mealbin because of lack of lights over there.

Ideally I would put a camera in the mealbin itself, but I can't because have no electricity in it. I was thinking of putting some form of light alarm on it that when the door opens the light comes on, but would have to be battery operated.

The farm is relatively close to a main road and no doubt thiefs aren't coming from too far away, but really want an end put to it because have been buying bags this past few weeks and when feeding about 200kg a day, it is too expensive and backbreaking.

Any (legal😁) ideas at all to stop this carryon? It is hard enough to break even without this.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Could you put an airtag in the bin with the meal? You'll find out where it is going at least.

Obviously you'd have to remove it yourself if you are using it which could be a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SodiumCooled

You can get wireless cameras, Wyze do a few different types some on WiFi some have a base station so will work from much further away. Can be bought of Amazon.com.

Also have night vision so while the picture won’t be as good you will still see what’s happening and get an alert that someone is there to your phone also so you might be able to get down there and catch them in the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

When somethings strange

In the neighbourhood

Who ya gonna call?

Ghostbusters Padraig Nally

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

Thanks that is a good idea, sort of not viable though, at least I think not.

Going to get 10 tonne blown in Saturday. Only way to get it into mealbin would be to pump it in , so could well get damaged on way in. And I really don't want to choke one of my own animals by eating it in their meal.

• Advertisement

That's a good idea in theory but it would end up choking an animal if you were using the meal yourself

What the OP would want to do is to half fill the meal bin (or a relatively small amount like a half tonne), put the tag in, and continue feeding the bags until the loose ration is taken again. But it might not be taken again

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm a city boy with soft hands so not sure how the whole thing works.

How are they getting it out? Backing a trailer underneath it or would they be having to cart it out with a wheelbarrow? They are hardly set up with some kind of pipe and auger?

I've two similar Xiaomi Yi cameras already in the shed for calving. They've very poor rechargeable batteries in them. You'd have to charge all day to video all night. Do you know if these Wyze ones are any better?

On the second point, it is probably better for him and me if I don't catch him or them in the act🤣

Just FYI, when it comes to self-defence (which includes defence of property), the standard is whether the force used is reasonable, as you believe it to be. It is a subjective test.

Obviously, if it came to it and an incident happened, the more objectively dangerous a situation is, the more chance you'd have of convincing a jury that you genuinely believed it was reasonable at the time.

• Advertisement

Trail camera could be an option if it has reasonable battery life, again there is wifi in the area so only problem is power.

Had to watch a youtube video on the second thing. Looks cool but wouldn't work on the door the way it is & may struggle to find blanks.

Don't forget to buy a sign saying that there are cameras up. If it just happens to fall down the very evening that the raiders come, and you quickly reinstall it before the Gardai arrive, with all the rushing about, don't forget to mention that it might not have been visible when the raiders arrived 😉

There were due to be some changes to legislation related to cameras for illegal dumping purposes but I'm not sure of the status now. Under the old rules, you wouldn't be allowed to use camera evidence where there was no sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Use a trail camera, it'll only record when it senses movement.

Batteries will last a good while and the video quality is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I have the one with the base station. They don’t video all the time they sit in a low power standby and start recording when they detect movement (can be any movement or smart detection for people/vehicles). It also notifies your phones immediately. Depending on how often they are detecting movement you could get anything from 1 - 3 months between charges but likely you will be getting up on 2 months as my one gets triggered a lot and usually get something like 2 months.

its cloud based but you can put in an SD card (I never have). You do need to pay a sub of around $10 per year per camera to get the most out of it but well worth it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

Reolink Batery powered camera with SIM card? Question is do you want to catch them in the act? If you do make sure you have back up with you.

Are you seeing car tracks?

Assuming they are backing under it to fill but it be possible out the AirTag up from the outlet so it’s the first thing that flies out? That way you can take it out each morning if it’s not gone and put it back that evening?

Fucking bastards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lmk123

Go to a gun shop and buy a trail camera and a box of no 4’ s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'd be inclined to put out a spike strip

Bust their tyres everytime they'd soon get fed up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

There was a fella in Cork having green diesel stolen.

He left a few gallons in the tank and threw in some milking machine detergent.

A few weeks later one of his neighbours had to change his car as the engine was bollixed……

There was a lad in Mayo having turf stolen. So he shoved a shotgun cartridge into one sod on top of the heap. There was an awful bang in a neighbours house shortly afterwards…..

The dildo of consequence’s rarely arrives lubed 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

Post edited by DrPsychia on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just make sure you get the one with non visible IR - otherwise they will spot it a mile off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

That's a fuckin terrible idea

He'd probably wind up dead

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The acorn trailcam aren’t too expensive. Get 2 so they can cover each other. They take either 4 or 6 double AA batteries, only thing to watch out for is you need a bit of wide tape over the top of them as they are not completely waterproof in our climate and the batteries can leak destroying the whole thing. The sign itself is actually a good deterrent on its own.

Good luck catching them, only problem is you might be disappointed when you see who it is.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Trail cameras, one near the bin and one at the entrance to the yard, they should last a while and only activated with activity... Not sure how legal something like a spike strip would be to puncture the tyres but... Really you'd like to get footage of them in the act as opposed to just entering the yard.. Or one or two security bollard posts set into concrete near the bin that you just need to open with a key either but they may just use the grinder on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If its just you using it, I'd go with the airtag option as artane said above.

You could glue the tag to bit of string one end and glue a light magnet other. Pop it inside the feeder chute at night, take it out in the morning. If someone empties it the feed should knock the airtag out with the feed. Job done. No need to chuck it inside the silo itself.

Plus you'll get a direction for the guards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭older by the day

I know you feel like doing a rambo on their aaass. But do you really want to waste weeks on solicitors and court.

A few signs and a camera (Even a fake one) will probably stop it. A battery operated light of some sort with a motion sensor.

A gate with a lock coming in off the main road would be good

The guards must be quick out in your part of the country. Here these lads may be have to be held a day or two ransom to get guards out.

Reported it the first time and they didn't want to know. They were basically like you should sort out your own security to stop it happening again. So two locks isn't enough security. With that attitude didn't bother going near them reporting the subsequent robbery.

Thanks lads, didn't know about these trail cameras, they sound ideal. Is the footage saved to an sd card or the cloud?

Hopefully the cloud as there is wifi and if they took camera away with them (they keep taking the locks, so know what they are at) they'd have sd card footage with them.

Haha I get you, yeah despite feeling like doing a rambo. Don't have much interest in that avenue.

Just want to disuade them as much as possible from returning. So combination of sign, yard cameras, leaving another outside light and a trail camera inside and maybe some kind of motion light once you enter the mealbin will do the job.

Pricy and torture yes, but there's a good €5,000 meal going into it in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Careful trailcams can be spotted too. IR used for nighttime viewing. Can steal the trail cam too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That's why I said above about getting one with the non visible ir sensors.

Just need to look out for them in the product description.

Advertisement