Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are some parts of my hedge thriving and other parts not ?

Options
  • 13-12-2023 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi

This is a Bay Leaf hedge planted about 2 and half years ago. The middle part is thriving but the part planted in gravel has not matured at all as well. Not sure why this should be. It should get as much water. Was it not planted deep enought initially ?

I have recently given them some fertiliser (just Woodies bought stuff) - is there anything else anyone can recommend ? Do I need to replant and or use some high end fertiliser ?

Many thanks for any advice.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 judithcrabb

helloooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

How deep is the gravel? It might be too well draining so they are not getting as much water as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd agree, it rather looks as though the better plants were planted in a decent depth of soil but the others were planted in poorer soil with a greater depth of gravel. Its a fine hedge, or could be, for a couple of years of growth.

I suggest you rake back the gravel from the poorer trees and fill to gravel level with decent soil and mulch, and give them a feed in the spring.

Next year in late spring you should take off about 2 ft (about a quarter of the height) from the top of all the trees and clip the fronts to an even finish. I realise you want the height but you will have a much better hedge in a couple of years time if you prune them to shape, if you leave them much longer you will just have a row of straggly trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1 on taking the tops off the hedge. You will never have a problem getting a hedge to grow as high as you want, but if you let it grow high early it wont fill in, especially at the bottom and you can end up with a foot on nothing above the ground.

Keep trimming the top and even the sides until it thickens out and then let it grow as high and as wide as you want. One off branches that are high or long are no use to you with a young hedge.

(sure its great when the individual plants finally touch, but it results in a much better hedge if you keep pruning them back in the early years)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 davidod

thanks a million for all of the tips - much appreciated !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

There would obviously be less nutrient in the gravelled area, hence the less growth and yellowed look, so yes feeding would be key here OP.

Am curious as to which fertilizer you got though, liquid or granular, organic or slow release? A good chemical granular like Growmore would be best here.

Don't worry about watering, they'll be well able to cope with or without after 2 and a half years.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Madd002

Needs a good (chop the top it'll fill out and get fat, trim the bottom it'll get thin and tall) Alway remember grandad saying to us when we helped in garden, didn't understand till I grew my own hedges.

Advertisement