Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike washing

Options
  • 13-12-2023 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

How often do people fully clean there bikes?

I have 3. Road bike and mountain bike get pretty destroyed.

I try to keep the chains clean and greased but a fully cleaning is pretty time consuming only to get destroyed again the next day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

If ive been on a wet or muddy ride they get washed when i get home, i remove the chain and clean that separately. Once clean i wipe all down with a microfibre cloth to prevent any rusting on blts etc as i generally bring he bike inside. Doesnt take anymore than 5-10mins.

As about 5 of my 6/7 rides a week are on the turbo i dont need to clean it too regularly!

When i was commutting by bike (work from home msotly now), id give that bike a once over about once a week but still look after the chain if it was a wet day etc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If any way wet after each ride which takes max 10kins. As I’ve started using a drip wax lube the chain takes very little time to clean now which is a help. As a rule bike gets washed & dried before I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I wash mine when it gets dirty, straight after the spin, which can be hard when you've had 4+ hrs of wet and dirty roads but I dunno how the hell you do it in 5 mins, it takes me a half hour easily, between filling the bucket, getting suds, rinsing the bike, then washing and rising the frame and wheels, then de greasing the drivetrain, then drying all as best as possible, and the light oiling the frame and any rust prone bolts etc. Then cos my trainer now is a disc bike, I'm paranoid about disc and pad contamination, its quite a faff covering the discs and calipers so I can re-oil the chain and sprockets etc.

It's time consuming but just as there's nothing worse than forgetting and coming out to a crusty bike and brown rust spotted chain the following day, there's also nothing better than pulling a gleaming, sparkling bike with a whirring snickety pedal action outta the shed for a spin either.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Recently started using same type lube.

How are you cleaning the chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭cletus

I wash my bike every couple of months...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,775 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bike gets a wash with your usual cleaner then i have a small bottle to spray on some degreaser, let it sit for a couple mins, agitate then rinse off. To dry i run the chain through some 70/30 IPA wipes by hand then complete the process with a towel. I'll do a full & complete degrease clean every 3-4 weeks just to ensure chain longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Commuter Bike: Every Sunday

Weekend bike: Every Sunday

Race bike: After Every Race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

As with most things, a routine and habit makes the process much faster. But it also depends how fussy you are. Despite my best efforts I'm a bit fussy, so could definitely do it faster. I'll wash the CX bike after every race/ spin. Commuter, this time of year, once a week at the weekend, just because there's no light outside for me to do it any other time. In the summer, it's a nice was to spend an hour or so, having a beer, watching some racing on the iPad and giving the bike a proper once-over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Generally have a routine as soon as I get home - I have something similar to below (although mines hinged) beside the outside tap (which has a hose) so bike straight on there, and washed and chain cleaned. Then shower myself, and then it's normally dry enough for lube of chain and to come in the house. Hard to get back to it if you shower, sit down etc first, so try to make myself do it straight away unless I definitely don't have time due to dad cabs!

Reading the above, I'm sure I'm not as thorough as some, but haven't had any issues flagged by mechanics so far, or experienced what I deem excessive wear!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I plan to do it fortnightly, currently I haven't cleaned a bike in 4 months. The last time my commuter really needed a clean, I put it in a room in the house and bought another bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

When there's a bike in each room, will you buy another house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Not only is it a monster pain to have to clean bike straight away after ride (and if you dont do it asap you wont at all), but its worthwhile remembering your immune system is a bit weakened immediately post exercise .Its probably unwise to be out in yard in freezing rain, splashing about and inhaling white spirits :-( Chains arent THAT dear .There was a theory that many scaninavian /continental athletes especially cross country skiers were dying of heart attacks 15/20 years ago due to this but EPO may have been involved also...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Today the road was so dry there was no need to wash the bike. Love those days

Agreed. but the problem was that i was out on Saturday and the bike was already dirty! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I like the excuse, but it takes me about 5 minutes, and I don't use white spirits. Added bonus in winter is the boots get hosed straight away. But yes, on dry spin days I generally wouldn't bother - maybe a quick wipe of the chain.

As excuses go for not cleaning your bike...this ones definitely the best i've ever heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

i have a grey Specialized Sirrus hybrid 2011 model which i use to cycle to work every day. It has never been washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

Get a power washer. Care needs to be taken not to aim it at any bearings or seals, but gets a muddy mountain bike clean fast.

Particularly good on the chain, aim at the cassette to make it rotate and it'll blast any dirt off the chain. Dry with a rag, re-oil and you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭mcburns07

After every ride if it gets wet / dirty, probably once every couple of weeks during the summer if it has been dry.

Hose off the heavier dirt, pre cleaner spray to break down anything left, rinse off again, two bucket wash with a microfibre mitt, degreaser on the drivetrain and scrub that with a stiff small brush. final rinse, then dry as thoroughly as possible. I treat it like I would my car and use all the same cleaning products to avoid having to buy anything bike specific.

Must invest in a small blower soon to properly dry off the hard to access bits. It gets stored inside in the house in my office to keep it safe and dry. I love my bike :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm pretty fussy about my other bikes but I rarely spent any time cleaning or servicing the commuter bike and, ironically, it was the bike which gave me the least bother. It just went on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

yeah, same with mine. It get's oil, brake pads etc when required, but never washed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I can't live without a smooth, silent drivetrain. I wouldn't be surprised if careless cleaning actually does more harm than good in terms of longevity of components though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Ah, I assumed from the title this meant the kind of cycle lanes that sartain Dublin councillors would prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I have a frame bucket and “grease” bucket set up. Degreaser with paint brush. I give them the once over after each ride. I use a garden sprayer 5 litre to gently rinse all. Then the air compressor to dry the chain etc. 15 mins max.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When I win the current Lotto jackpot, I'm going to hire one of you lads to be on standby when I get home on the bike to give it a good cleaning. I don't think I've cleaned mine this year, apart from maybe the chain.

A mobile cleaning service would be great.

Advertisement