Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldcastle Adventure X 2023

Options
  • 14-12-2023 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Oldcastle have the Adventure X on the 27th December. Now starting from Collinstown, Westmeath, N91 C86T. They are still working on finalising the route but knowing Oldcastle it will be a good one.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Excellent, might actually make it this year. What type of tyres dod people recommend, mud CX tyres or more gravel/fire road?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭pairofpears

Either will do. There's one maybe 2 down hill section from the last 2 years that was fire road style but I've used Baby Limus both years and once you look ahead and focus you'll be fine.

A woman did it last year on a Canyon Grail and she was carrying a stick to get the mud out from behind the bottom bracket so I would suggest CX tyres to keep as much tyre clearance as possible.

Last question, what time does it kick off at. I've moved almost entirely to public transport, just want to figure out the best route or do I add in a 100km spin before hand

Kicks off at 10. Train to Mullingar and cycle out would be the best option you're coming from Dublin.

Wexford but I can stay in Dublin the night before

• Advertisement

Might be cheaper to stay in Mullingar the night before if you could cos Dublin is far from cheap

I've a mother in law there so it will just cost me jobs around the house

I'd rather pay for the hotel myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭traco

Looks interesting - I'd appreciate if anyone doing and has teh time it could write up a very short review post event out of curiosity. I'd be intereested in conditions, bike types etc. Wong side of 50 and only ever road cycled but thinking I might buy a bike in 2024 for these sort of off road type of events and touring. So curious if a CX or Gravel or maybe something like a steel Ribble CGR would be best for this kind of swiss army knife approach.

Thanks

Damn it, just realised it is the 27th, not the 28th, can't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

It's hard to say as the course has completely changed for this year .But I would recommend 29er hardtail mtb as thats what I used, and didn't have to dismount besides crossing fences.

I use my cyclocross bike and last year I got off on one hill which the MTB lads cycled as fast as I walked. There was one wet boggy field section but a gravel, cyclocross or mtb is fine for it.

I once saw a lad on a steel colnago with road shoes so if he could do it there's nothing stopping anyone.

Great day out.. the legs are feeling it now. Longer than last year, 60k, some folks felt it was more road.. I'm not sure but really enjoyed the off road sections which let me make up some time. Kept it steady enough on the road sections as wasnt sure what to expect. Some really nice off road sections. But yeah, a total mudbath. luckily the drivetrain is getting replaced very soon.

We got really lucky with the weather, wind and rain died off for first 2 hours and only the last 20 minutes was miserable.

Great fun, there should be some decent photos. Thanks to the organisers, must have been a lot of work gone into the new route.

My only issue was the queue into the bog over the start. If it was reversed you wouldn't have the traffic jam.

I didn't pay attention to the amount of off road bits but at km 49 I kept going while others took the 6km shortcut back so I think finishing the whole course in the bad conditions that came in is a good war story to have and added to the day. I didn't worry about off road sections while I was trying to keep warm out there for the last 10k.

yup the queue into the bog was a pity, as it meant I didnt get to ride much of that. did try a few bits. This is a common issue when tricky bottlenecks are put in before riders are spread out. I think that section would have ridden a lot nicer the previous day.

Yep agreed, I was happy to do the full 60 as well, I'd feel like I shortchanged myself by taking the shortcut. Sure at that stage you are wet anyway.

Apparently at the first little foot bridge the water was a about a foot lower on Stephens day but the rain that fell that night was ridiculous.

Great spin though and I'll be back again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Brilliant day out, only issue I could see was there was no water at the small food stop, a minor gripe and easily resolved for next time. Are there any similar tye events out there?

Do think there's anything similar with that level of mud. The Galway Classic Sportive is a good spin going off road into bog Noreen sections like Paris Roubaix. I did that this year and it's a good spin. I was already signing up at 60km into the spin for next year.

Galway Bay CC who run the Classic also run the Bog Trials which is an hour crit on some bog boreens. That's happening every Sunday of February.

Plenty of other gravel spins but I don't know of anything with the adventure level that Oldcastle with muck and puddles etc in it.

Advertisement