Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Car Next Year

• 14-12-2023 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guy's

Just looking for opinions on picking my 1st new car next year. At the moment I am driving 09 Opel Vectra I like it but paying €600 for tax plus its losing a bit of power. Also having issue with wipers the bars that make them actually wipe are broke and keep needing work done to make them wipe.

Was thinking its time for new car but maybe a little smaller something like a Seat Ibiza or Kia Ceed .

Just looking for opinions on this.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What's your budget and what do you want your car to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭tbarry31

What I want it to do honestly just be a good driver not looking for a rocket just something nice. Budget about €24000 to about €28000

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12 musk_o_vite

MG4 electric

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

Hi op. In the same boat myself. Driving a 08 focus , criminal road tax ,1.6 petrol. Car owes me nothing as have had it since 2011. I've short listed a hyundai i20, top spec Is around 24k so within budget. Yet to drive one but has good reviews up on YouTube. We have a 2013 model in the family which has been very reliable just gets serviced every year , zero issues. Would love another focus but they have got very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Leatra

I love my last-generation Ibiza FR (171) and would say that it’s a delight to drive, decent on petrol and with enough oomph for Irish roads. My mechanic thinks its engine ‘will last forever.’ You’ll probably get more life out of a Ceed, though.

The road noise is quite present and the ride on the FR is firm but you get very comfortable sports seats that offset that a bit, better than you’d get in a default A1. I’d recommend getting at least a mid-spec model if you’re buying new. Might as well make it a nice place to be.

I drove a lower-spec 181 when I was shopping around a few years ago, and I thought it was a very nicely built cabin, comparable to my old Polo, but the 75hp 1-litre engine felt very sluggish. I wouldn’t settle for the current 1.0 MPI; get the TSI. Seat.ie has a couple for about €26000 with that engine in the FR spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You are just about creeping into electric vehicle budget there OP if you'd consider one. Won't be huge choice brand new there are a few and in around the size of car you're looking at too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Presuming you just want something reliable and cheap to run then the top end of your budget will get you into a 1 year old Corolla hatchback hybrid.

For example: https://www.carsireland.ie/3315823

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Cheapest motor tax rate is what ? E190. Youre going to be saving a euro a day on motor tax and landing out 25k plus the cost of finance...

I absolutely wouldn't be buying a ball of **** modern petrol or diesel if spending that money either, electric all the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's bit of a silly sweeping statement. The Toyota hybrid drivetrain has been around for over 25 years and has a well proven track record for reliability so hardly a ball of ****. Also we don't even know if the OP has the ability to charge an EV at home.

• Advertisement

I don't have facility to charge will have to be put in

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

A guy I work with got one of these. He paid 30k for a year old one, so that's a good price. Got a spin in it, nice place to be. Pretty quick also . Nice car. Should last forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Id be looking at electric if you plan on keeping it. A home charger can be put in for very little money and the car will save you money in the long run. I agree with the poster above that buying a new petrol or diesel car now is not the best idea as they are rapidly being phased out by most car manufacturers who are now pushing EV and Hybrid. I travel over an hour to work, I charge purely from home and the car is saving me around €50 per week in running costs. Id at least give an EV a test drive.

Advertisement