Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will a motor rated at 1800 watts / 120 Volts draw from the 220-240 side of the 110 V trafo

Options
  • 14-12-2023 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭

I make it 7.5 Amps if the P = VI works but dont know what the trafo loss will draw. the name plate says 15.5 A at 120V

Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Edit: Misread question so this doesn't apply to the question asked.

The motor will be 1800w when connected to 120v but roughly 7200w if connected to 240v.

A 230v 1kw heater for simplicity, will have a resistance of around 50 ohms which is what makes it 1kw at 230v. Connect it to 460v and the resistance is still 50 ohms, so double the current flows. Double current double voltage means the 1kw heater is now a 4kw heater. The moral of the story is, a 1kw load is only 1kw when connected to its intended voltage.

Post edited by Bruthal. on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, so will the draw on the 240 side be 7.2 kW, so electric shower territory, so the 13 amp socket on the 3.3 kw trafo wont work then?

Better bring it back to the hire shop then

I misread the question

I thought you meant if you connect the motor to the 230v side.

Your original 7.5 amps was correct.

As for the losses, its very small in transformers, but the 7.5 amps in will be a bit higher as the motor has a power factor component. It may be around 10 amps if the motor is at full load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The way I remember it is that the wattage carries over... 1800w at 110v will still be ~1800w at 240v, but the current will be less than half.

In energy terms a 10w bulb at 12v is still 10w at 240v.

It does of course, hence the OP 7.5 amps calculation being correct.

In addition there are transformer losses. Small as they are. Higher, percentage wise on smaller transformers compared to large power transformers such as used on the distribution network. They are probably above 99% efficient in the transform process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks guys, B: didn't mean to get you up early 6:05 am edit!

I'm up that time every morning for some reason. Didn't actually change anything really, just reducing the chance of confusion. Quoting 10 10 10 seemed to need a couple of attempts to work right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Would it not be run at circa 3600W / 15.5A if connected to a 230V supply?

• Advertisement

If you connect a 1kw heater rated for 110v to 220v, it will now be a 4kw heater. You have double the current through the same resistance. It can be visualised why, or we can simply say I^2xR which means double current means 4 times the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭John.G

Resistive load, watts=V squared/resistance.

I had/have a 9.0kw shower at 230V but for many years my voltage was 245V even with the shower on which gave me a 10.3kw shower which I certainly miss now that my voltage has returned to 230V.

Advertisement