Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shear Grab

• 14-12-2023 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi looking at a new shear grab. Looking at 4'4 Rossmore and 4'6 Johnston both similar money. Has anyone any experiences of either of these grabs. Wondering if some silage would fall out the front of the Rossmore thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Aravo

Have Rossmore 4ft 4 here. Bought new in 2019. Working fine, I don't notice any silage falling out. Had a smaller grab prior to this with no opening at front and I don't notice any difference with the cuts. Both are clean

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Thanks great to hear an opinion of someone who has one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭yewdairy

We have a 6ft johnston on a teleporter bought new in 2020, cuts about 100acres of pit every year. I couldnt fault it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭cjpm

Have a Rossmore here. 5’. Very happy with it.

Can you cut bales with any of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭MfMan

+1 for the Johnston. Have a 4'6" for over 13 years, still as good as new. Keeping it greased and sharpened is key.

What are you putting it on to? Was talking to a fitter earlier today who repairs hydraulic rams amongst other things. Had to fix rams from a JD tractor which was working a 7' grab. Madness having a grab that size on a tractor.

Madness that size grab in tractor loader alright. Putting it on a T5.120 iv a choice between the rossmore and Johnston. Just from reading up I see alot of recommendations for Johnston. How do you sharpen it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Have a Johnston 4,6 with I'd say 10 years throwing out 1000 + tons a year and working fine have put a new set of tines on it in the past and the bushes and a new set of tines maybe next year.does bales as well now.would like to go 5 ft but we ll let this work away for another few years the trick with sharpening is sharpen towards the balde not away with a flappy disc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Have a 4’ 6” Johnston about 10 years too. As good as day one. A wee rub of a file once every winter and a bit of grease will keep it right. Changed the tines last year and it’s like new again.

Advertisement