Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV not working following electrical work

• 15-12-2023 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I had some electrical work done today at the house. I had an EV charger installed and a separate socket replaced. The power to the house.only needed to be switched off for a short period. However, some time after it had been switched on again and while the electrician was still working, the RCD tripped. I noticed this immediately while I was back working at my computer, which I had been sure to switch off earlier prior to the power going earlier as agreed.

I told the electrician who was surprised and came in to double check. He said “Oh, that must have been when I touched…”

Tonight, when I went to watch TV, I find it is not working. It will not power on. The red standby light is not on. I’ve tried to reset the TV (unplug, hold in power button, leave unplugged for 30 mins, disconnect all cables, etc) to no avail. There is power at the two pin connector to the TV so it’s not a supply side issue.

Aside from an extremely low-odds coincidence, I can only assume whatever the electrician touched resulted in a voltage surge and the TV being damaged.

Is liability with the electrician? They are part of a firm rather than a sole trader. What are my options?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭meercat

I’d say the issue is at the socket he replaced (perhaps a neutral unconnected behind the socket )

how are you confirming you have power at the 2 pins

is it 230volts.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

Yes, I have mains supply directly to the TV and have confirmed it’s live. The transformer is within the TV. The replaced socket is not this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You're repeating what u already said about the lead being "live" 🙂

Have u confirmed the socket is working by plugging in another appliance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

There may be a fuse that you can replace within the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

If you leave the TV plugged in constantly and in standby overnight, chances are that the capacitors in TV's power supply have dried out, and one finds out when power is disconnected and reapplied. The power supply fails to start and the set appears otherwise dead. This may be an unfortunate coincidence that you were having this work done. If you google the make and model number of the set to see if a dead set / power supply issues are common with it.

• Advertisement

Sounds like a plausible explanation

Does constant power affect the life of the power supplies then ?

I prefer them separate anyway rather than integrated into tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Seems too coincidental. If the TV was more than 10 years old and it was the first time it was powered off in years then maybe...

Call the electrician and explain the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭circadian

Have you tried plugging the TV into another socket or another device into the socket the TV uses?

It's still not 100% clear if the socket is working or not .

Not from his posts anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

The socket is working. The lead to the TV has power in it, but the TV has no red light and will not switch on.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I wonder if there’s a fuse inside the TV. I’ll see what I can find.

• Advertisement

So you've tested the socket with a different appliance or voltage tester

Continually saying the lead is live or has power doesn't make it 100% clear

That could merely mean you're using a phase or non contact tester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

It can be if the device is constantly powered up and runs warm. Capacitors do dry out with age. I've repaired quite a few PSU's where dead and / or dried out Caps were a factor. As I suggested to the OP, one can check up the make and model online to see if the set concerned is predisposed to this type of failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭rob w

As other posters have said 'The lead to the TV has power in it' doesnt mean anything. Are you using a non contact tester? You could have no neutral at the TV socket now due to a bad connection on another socket upstream - but if the live was still connected the contact tester would light up. But this doesnt mean your TV should work.

Simplest test to do is plug something else like a lamp (that you know is working elsewhere) in to the TV socket - or take the tv and plug it into another socket and see if it works.

I would say it is unlikely that anything the electrician did damaged the TV

Has your RCD tripped again since?

What I took from his first post was maybe the REC shorted N-E inadvertently with MCB off tripping RCD

His socket is probably working but he doesn't help with his descriptions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

surely the tv plug itself has a fuse? If there was a surge, this has blown....

Unlikely, it can be reasonably surmised from the ops description that a fuse hasn't blown anyway

He says the lead is "live"😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

Ahh, ok.

I have repaired a lot of standby supplies in my time. The electrolytic caps are terrible if they are bad quality. They eventually leak or dry out and cause the standby circuit to fail and so the the circuit fails to power up the tv. The red led my still be on but this doesn't guarantee its working properly... Anyway, if its 10 years old....maybe ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭daheff

i think what he means (but cant 100% confirm) is that he has an extension lead which he plugs the tv into. these sometimes have a power light in them. This is on. so he sees the lead as live.

His TVs red light is not on, so his tv is not working.

Advertisement