Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about sky q

• 15-12-2023 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

We're still in the dark ages here with sky+. We tried to get sky q a few years back but the engineer couldn't get the mini box to work, and we didn't want to lose multiroom. They're coming back out soon to try again. I'm just wondering about the functionality of the mini box though (if they get it working) Will we be able to record on it, or is it simply a means of watching stuff recorded on the main box on a second TV? I don't want killings over people deleting other people's recordings.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

First things first - the Sky Q mini is essentially a complete slave of the main box. They don’t do anything independently, except running apps, and even then they’re reliant on the LAN/internet connection obviously. When watching live TV and recordings you are effectively streaming off the main box. They have no individual storage for recordings. (This is a Good Thing for most people btw - it means you can watch your recordings anywhere in the house).

Second thing - Sky doesn’t do profiles. Why I don’t know, but they don’t. Recordings belong to the box/household, there is no way of marking them as belonging to any particular family member/housemate. Anyone can watch them and yes anyone can delete them. My recollection is there’s some way of protecting them but I think that only guards against accidental/automatic deletion and won’t stop someone who deliberately wants to delete them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Couple of years ago my sister got sky Q

Nothing but trouble with the mini boxes as the house is quite large and if I remember the sky box broadcast / Wifi to the slave / mini box

I bought a couple of TP link network power line lan adapters and the issues went away :-)

1 sky main box + 2 mini/ slave boxes = 3 power line adapters

As suggested I think the recordings are done on the main box and the slave box just plays that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

Didn't want to start a new thread. So my broadband went down today for a few hours and my Sky Q minibox isn't working now and I'm not very techy. I've plugged it out of the mains and now it's flashing red all the time when I try and reboot it. Can anyone help? I was about to watch some TV in bed 😔

Advertisement