Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clock spring (squib) and steering angle sensor

• 16-12-2023 2:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Been fixing other peoples car's the last while so my own has been neglected, the steering wheel "sticks" and "binds" at a certain point in the steering wheel rotation. Sound is coming from directly behind the wheel.

I've read this can be the clock spring, even though there's no effect on my controls/horn etc they're all fine. Although I had an intermittent issue with cruise control but disconnecting the battery sorted that.

I've cleaned and greased the upper and low U-joint on the intermediate shaft, I've also had someone turn the wheel while I felt for any movement or binding and they were all good. PAS fluid is clean and free of air.

So the sound is definitely coming from right behind the steering wheel, which would be the clock spring.

If I do change it, I'd need to re-calibrate the steering angle sensor, as they're one unit. Would the car be OK to drive untill I get it to a garage to do so? Or get my old Forscan account up and running.

TL;DR : binding feeling directly behind steering wheel. Is it the clock spring and if so does the SAS need calibrating right away.

Post edited by BlakeS94 on

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Blake its unusual for a clock spring to make the steering wheel stick - unless its completely uncoiled but that will usually give you electrical faults etc.

Honestly Id be looking elsewhere. Its a Mondeo or Focus?? The noise doesnt sound like a clock spring..

The universal joint on the shaft half where it meets the rack used to get stuck on them - I think the bolt is what you change to fix the problem if I remember right.. But make sure youre checking it with the wheels off the ground so that the rack can move freely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Thanks for the reply, yeah it's a mondeo.

It didn't make full sense to me either that'd be the clock spring I was just hoping it would be because it's fair annoying.

I did clean and grease those U-Joints, you're on about the one at the bottom of the footwell near the bolt that connects to the rack? You reckon it's the bolt that is causing the noise? I'll give it a go I've never checked it with wheels in the air tbh.

I guess it makes sense that the sound could travel up the shaft and throw me off where its coming from.

Thanks once again you're a great help

It is possible to just change the intermediate shaft by itself with the upper and lower joints? Like in a Ford fiesta, or is the whole steering column one unit on the mondeo?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Its teh very bottom joint. Nip up the bolt and give it a try.

Im not sure how it comes on the Mondeo- long time since I worked for Ford but that universal joint used to come loose and cause that knocking.

I'll give that a go and report back. If not I might just remove the entire column and give it a good clean and apply some more grease.

Thanks again for the advice it's very much appreciated

• Advertisement

I wouldnt remove the column - theres a special tool required if I remember right thats needed to line things back up - sets the column at 70mm I think. Id juxt nip that nut up a bit and see if the noise stops.

Yeah tightened the nut, it was already pretty tight and took a good bit of leverage to tighten another bit. No difference.

Advertisement