Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising attic floor for insulation

• 16-12-2023 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

, I'm a v amateur diyer living in a standard 90s bungalow - looking to raise attic floor to allow for 300mm insulation . Currently have around 100mm under existing chipboard. My plan is to place 2x9 timber batten at right angles to existing joints and raise the existing chipboard . Because of the way the chip board has been placed , I will need to place at least 8-10 4m lengths of the 2x9 timber .

Just wondering , is there any issue with increasing the weight of the extra timber on the existing joists ? The existing joist are in excellent condition

Should I remove old insulation, fill the space between joists to 200mm and place another layer of 100mm going the other direction? Or should I just leave the old insulation and run 200mm layer at right angles to joists ?

Thanks

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Biker1

Instead of using 9 x 2's you could buy risers that sit on existing joists and go with 4 x 2's. Much easier for rolling out the insulation. I would suggest 250mm over what is already there.

Advertisement