Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Maps Navigation

Options
  • 17-12-2023 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Is there any way to have Google Maps keep to the main/better roads? Went across the country today and it took me through all the one-car L roads more suited to a tractor. When I got home I had a look at the settings and unchecked the save fuel option, will see if that makes a difference.

Sorry Mods, any chance of a move to Motors?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've unchecked that and it doesn't make any difference.

If there's a 1km or 1 minute difference in the (theoretical) time, it will send you bouncing down country lanes with grass growing up the middle, because it sees a speed limit of 100kph or 80 kph and assumes you can actually do that. As opposed to the ever so slightly longer route, on actual main roads.

If there's a solution to it, I'd love to know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

When you enter in your destination you need to look at the various route options it gives you and pick the one that suits you

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Put your vehicle in as a truck. It will try keep you to the main roads. (if available to your destination)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

This must be an example of lateral thinking, wish I had more of it😔👍

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

AFAIK neither Google maps nor Waze offer truck routing options. I know Garmin & TomTom do offer that option in their commercial products.

I may well be wrong about it on Maps or Waze and I'm happy to be corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

This is one of the very reasons I looked and looked and looked for a different app for navigation

On the way back from Dungarvin once, herself was drving and I tried a few apps/settings and all sending me up some R or L road no matter what settings I changed

Then you have the fuel efficent nonsense, drive 15 minutes longer to save fuel, or the pestering when you drive about different routes etc

Even paid apps are no good, Sygic couldnt find a simple thing like a big tesco and TomTom GO is in Irish so good luck with that

This is an up and coming app, it uses OpenStreetMap, there is no live traffic as of yet, Magic Earth is something similar and has traffic etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DaSchmo

I have had some very hairy incidents on backroads thanks for G navigation, particularly towing a caravan in Donegal!

One thing that I do recommend is having a good look at the journey before you set off and trying to figure out what the most "main road" type route you could possibly take is, then inputting a few places or towns on this as waypoints - (Destination A, B, C, D etc) on maps. This is hassle but has worked for me before.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It doesn't always offer a choice of routes.

And on a slightly tangent note, I would often use it to drive short (5-10km) routes within Dublin city, using whichever route shows as fastest (the canal is often bunged while the parallel SCR is free-flowing, for example) - but it sometimes comes up with absolutely bizarre routes, that make no sense. There's a section of the SCR between Rialto and Sally's Bridge that seems to be off limits - if driving from Kilmainham to Donnybrook for example, it will show the canal route, or a diversion down Cork Street and through Kevin St/Stephen's Green - but not show the most direct route straight down the South Circular Road.

There are other short-cuts that I know of that will never be offered, and I'm guessing that Google have been told not to be routing people through residential areas and rat runs - but the SCR is a main road, I cannot figure out why a section of it is always ignored!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

It absolutely does bring you some bizzare ways! I'm a courier so use it all the time to avoid traffic but sometimes it'll try bring you on a crazy detour for no apparent reason so definitely worth having a quick look at the route first. It's a free app so can't complain too much though

Advertisement