Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for someone to rehandle some old farm tools

• 17-12-2023 1:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking for someone that's into hand carving/crafting and rehandling /hanging old tools. I have a few bits from my grandfather like an old axe head, hay knife, an old drag (for cleaning drains) old lump 🔨 etc. It's more for sentimental reasons and to bring them back to life. I am also looking to buy a nice splitter and hand axe, something old with a nice hand crafted handle etc. Anyone have a contact for someone that does that type of thing?

I also have a very old blacksmiths leg vice that I am looking for someone to restore that's into that. Thanks 👍

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

There’s a lad on TikTok by the name of Eoin Reardon. I think username is pintofplane.

no clue on prices but I’ve liked the work he has done. Uses a lot of ash to re handle. He is from cork. I think he has an adverts account.

another option is the vintage machinery association.

Post edited by kollegeknight on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭mayota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

That’s the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dzer2

Should really use Hazel for handles there is spring but no give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The design shovel, axe, sledge etc have not changed in 100++ years to any extent. For anything like that just buy out of any store. Then use the oil and waxes he suggests. O nlying thing is I think you should put oil and wax on before fitting handle to stop handle developing a weak point where it meets the sledge or axe head.

Broke a spade handle late yesterday will need to replace after Christmas.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Your local mens shed might be able to sort ya out if ya supplied the handles as well.

They'd likely have access to any wood working tools needed to fit them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Not sure if this is more one for the guntering thread…

But sledge with ash limb for a handle, and slasher with Hazel limb.

Necessity is indeed the mother of invention 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Fitting handles is not that difficult. If you visit your local hardware or agri store, they will generally stock a range of handles for different tools. Sometimes the quality is questionable but shop around. Most handles are pre-shaped and only require minor shaping to fit properly. A reasonable plane or a draw knife will do the job. Maybe your looking for a bespoke job but any handle is better than none and will keep the tools from being lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭HHH

Generally anyone that makes or mends hurleys will also do handles etc.

Advertisement