Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes they are. Depends on the make and model, but the Tesla Model S that I have now and also my previous one, had 8 years and unlimited miles battery and drivetrain (so yes, motor, inverter, etc.) warranty

The battery in my last car was replaced free of charge when the car was almost 7 years old. While I was waiting for the repair on my old car, I was driving around in a free €100k value Model X for 3 weeks with free unlimited fuel and free tolls. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc. should take notice of this level of customer service 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

ID4 77kwh weights 2099kg range 322 miles

Ford Kuga PHEV weights 1844kg range 470 miles

I'd call them similar vehicles, I'm not sure what your point is really?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

The huge difference is the one of endurance, for me anyway. There are days i need a car that will do 700km where there is no great infrastructure. There are days i need to be in Dublin at 9am and back by lunchtime. Those days may only amount to 5 a year, but I need a car for 100% of the time, I don’t want to “manage”, for what?

i bought a hv because we already have a phev and to be honest I’d only be average with plugging it in. My wife is fastidious,l with plugging it in and she has a car that can do 0-60 in 6 seconds and only costs €45 a month to run, and never needs to be charged bar at home when convenient. The ice only runs 10% of the time and when it does it returns 45mpg.

A Bev needs to be plugged in every other night anyway for most people.

a phev has nothing additional over a normal hybrid save for a better battery and higher power motors.

A Toyota phev won’t break your heart like a exxxde might (and I say this as someone who has always owned 1 - 3 mercs from 2009 until 2 months ago…)

A PHEV suits you better for sure. But you are an outlier with those needs. Driving 700km in Ireland without ever passing a fast charge point / Tesla supercharger? That alone would be pretty difficult if you wanted to do it, would need very careful planning 😂

I'm like @Gumbo, I didn't use public charging even once last year. My car has a motorway range of about 300km, have done several trips of around that last year alright. Obviously if you already live in the Dublin area, it's not a big spin if you have to go to Dublin

I live in cork. I go to Dublin a bit. Every car. I have ever owed can do the return journey on a tank. When I am finished in Dublin (no offence) I want to get out asap and not stop driving until I am home. Equally if I need to go to Cavan or Sligo, I want to stop when I feel the need to eat etc, not when the car does. I still only do 25k kms pa, but most of it is business related, and being late isn’t an option.

the ev (right now) is a needless compromise for many people. Of course this will change and Bevs are a theoretically superior solution, but it looking like it will be slower than many thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

After less than a year with the Born I did just that and got a Formentor. Absolutely no regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did Mercedes drop the price of the EQE? I see you can pick up a 2024 for 76k. Thought they were about 100k last year.

Just watched Nobbys review from last year again. Wonder how accurate his estimate of 300km when driving it on is, wouldn't be capable of cork Dublin and back.191 listed on done deal that's a lot.

He just put up the EV9 review, range doesn't sound inspiring. Depreciation should be interesting.

https://youtu.be/Ee1l880OzIg?feature=shared

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes 10k off them I think , 100k was for a pretty well specced one before the drop you could get a basic one for 85k

Fair enough you have the mileage requirements but I maintain most people don’t. We do around 15,000 km a year most of the time we charge once a week, what kind of mileage do you think most people do if you say they need to plug in every second night ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭John arse

• Advertisement

80/100km a day? Not hard if you live outside of Dublin and have job, few children, etc and you are going to want to keep something in the tank, because life has a habit of being unexpected.

Average car in Ireland does about 16k km per year from memory, so a bit over 40km on average a day. If your range is 400km, then charging once a week always leaves a good bit of reserve "in the tank"

Personally I charge either of my EVs every day, as I only have a 3 hour window of 5c / kWh. Last year the main car did well more than average mileage and it's also a gaz guzzler, and I still easily managed that. The second family car only does about 7-8k km per year or thereabouts

Sure, drive 50 mins in the wrong direction to find there is no parking at the station; double the travel time and get a bus transfer at Gabhail luimni. Come back to a clamped car. Been there, done that, never again.

LOL, take the train. Are you Eamon Ryan, @[Deleted User]?

I like your username though 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Been reading this with interest. Especially when I saw the 0 km Born at 30k, even though that's not a runner now.

I have a 35k annual commute. Currently in an 182 E220d estate, very comfortable, but clocking up the miles. Also costing me 150 a week in juice, maintenance and tyres excluding tax and insurance.

The Cupra etc wouldn't suit my /outside of work/ lifestyle, but purely as a commuter I can see how it might be advantageous. My Merc could serve me for years as a lifestyle car putting 5k a year on. Weekends I've dogs, gear, stuff I need and comfort required.

I have the money to buy straight, so could it make ''sense'' to buy a 1 year old, heavily discounted EV as my get to work car? Commute is 70% Mway, 25% N road. I am set up for home charging (outlet is in situ, new build), though night rate Kwh is 20 cent (closer to 25 when vat and SC factored in) due to an almighty fcuk up when I stupidly signed to smart meter tariff.

Just thinking, spare the Merc, one service a year, get 15 years out of it no hassle to do my hobbies on time off. Change the EV every 2 years. Also improved driver assist tech could make that commute less painful?

I'll do the lad maths myself, just curious as to others' opinions on this scenario. Can a modern (22/23) EV beat the Merc in comfort and lessening driver fatigue?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

You weren't sure what my point is but made a statement anyway.

I've stated probably on this platform or another that large battery EVs are creations born from all the people who said they needed an EV that can do 400 kms on a charge. Caused the OEMs to go out of their way to put massive batteries in cars when they could have made 2 50kwh cars rather than one 82kwh one and satisfied most users.

Back to the PHEVs, I find most are used as commuters and most strive not to use the ICE part, so why not just get a 50Kwh EV. The Odd time you need to travel further, charge it enroute/destination. I know this is looking at things through my own lenses, but in my circle the big milage commuters are sticking with Diesel and the shorter commuters have gone fully electric.

At the end of the day though, just get what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CivilEx

This is a very similar use case for me. I drive from Mayo to our office in Dublin, plug into one of the 7kW chargers in the car park (there are plenty of them) while I'm at work.

When I get back in the car at 4pm it's back at 100%, I get in and drive home. No stops needed for DC fast charging, no compromise, no delay.

When I'm travelling elsewhere around the country I simply time the DC fast charge with my lunch or a coffee. More often than not, the car has charged before I finish.

I do 25,000km p.a. where 12.000km is business related. There is a little bit more forward planning needed (I recommend you have a look at the Plugshare app), but being late isn't an option for me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Sod that for a game of soldiers. Did a 300km trip last Friday evening in dreadful conditions in my diesel focus wipers full bore n heater on.

If I had to stop to charge I'd be bulling especially after spending 40k on a new motor. If I had to queue to charge - goodnight Irene, I'd need a holding pen to put the kids in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Even my base model 3 (now listed for 42k new, whereas it was 54k in sept 22 when I bought it) would do that trip fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

Running two cars to do the job of one car could get expensive. Could you not find a bigger EV that would be okay for your lifestyle needs?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nothing wrong with the idea but I’d explore if there’s an EV that can cover both? Removed one insurance policy, motor tax and frees up the garden space too.

Do the maths for both cars being kept and see. But if I was buying an EV purely for the “commute” then I’d be keeping it as cheap as possible.

I done it before while keeping the BMW M3, and golf GTi, bought a leaf. Cheap commute but I ended up using the leaf on the weekends too. Yes I missed going to cars and coffee but I ended up selling both ICE and getting a newer EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Casati

Good point and important to check the detail - seems like the best selling ID4 and other VW group ev's are quite limited covering battery only after the bumper to bumper 3 year warranty is up,. Tesla, Kia and others cover the full drivetrain but few cover over 160,000km

I do think that longer and more comprehensive warranties are needed- one of the reasons the Model S held its value so well was down to the superb warranty they came with- 8 year/ infinite miles. Buying a 5 year old meant you got as good as warranty as you could with a new Mercedes or BMW

The 70% battery capacity also needs to be much higher to inspire confidence in used buyers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭djan

I'd say you'd be cutting it quite close if at all doing 300km in bad weather especially wind at 125km/h indicated going by various test results. For national roads absolutely fine but once you hit motorway speeds in bad weather, range gets decimated.

100% agree. A 77kWh VAG EV will just about get 300km at motorway speeds in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

Mrs Traco replaced her 2007 ML320Cdi with a Model Y. On a par comfort wise and a big step up in tech with the advanced driver aids so that reduces dirver fatigue as it had no adapyive cruise etc etc only basic on / off. Yours may have more options. It is uch much quieter and would be quieter than your 182 also.

In terms of space the Y is huge with the seats down. I was shocked at the space, so much bigger than the ML and also my Superb Estate. The rear boot lid slopes so you would need to check that if you carry the dogs with rear seats up but unless they are wolfhounds I think you would be OK. Rear boot cover is rubbish though - not a nice retractable one like yours.

Could be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭crl84

I do Dublin to Cork a few times a month, have to be in Little Island for 9am.

I find it easily doable. If I'm ahead of time, I'll do a 15min charge on the way down when I'm getting a coffee (as I always stop for a coffee/breakfast snack), or else when I'm finished my meetings and on the way back up, I'll pull in somewhere for a quick charge while getting lunch. I value my time, so only charge when stopping to eat/get refreshment, there's no need to separate the two.

That's with a 62KW battery. If I had gone for the 77KW version of my car, it would be even less of a stop, or potentially not have to stop at all in the summer.

If the site I visit had chargers, or there was a slow charger within 15mins walk (no public ones in Little Island), I wouldn't have to stop at all on the journey. Chargers are being installed at the site soon, so I probably won't charge in future when I stop for coffee/lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well I've done 45k km since Sept last in it, and the vast majority is on the M11. I know what motorway range I get, and I always drive at the speed limit + VAT. You've got 61kWh gross and 56kWh net in the LFP RWD. To do 300 km you only need to average 187wh/km. My average over the lifetime of my ownership is ~150.

I'm far from an EVangelist or a Musk kool aid fanboy but I like to tell it as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭sk8board

If 150 is the lifetime efficiency, what’s the motorway efficiency? Tks

am looking for an EV with 350k winter motorway range, for a regular 175km round trip

Advertisement