Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Surely not , I thought the queues were around the block for hybrid rav 4s?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think that’s made up. It was written in 2021 to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I give up trying to find the style. Between the ads on boards and Google ads makes it impossible to search and post links. It's just jumps all over the place. You end up posting the wrong link.

Dunno if this is correct looks like the rav is successful enough. See a lot of new ones everywhere you go anyway.

Tonnes of articles about Toyota cutting production , blaming chip shortages in 2022, then this year it’s to ease inventory pressure on its Chinese dealerships.

Yes, it’s called the Internet, tons of articles saying practically everything about anything.

if you want to believe something to be true you will find something to convince you, even if you deity is a glorified milk float (god be with the days people spoke here about driving pleasure and engagement, even you had a few nice BMWs back in the day iirc).

Toyota are doing very well on the back of shunning EVs. They had a good 23 and well it seems have a good 24. That’s just a fact. EVs are not selling as well as people though, that’s also a fact.

• Advertisement

I have had plenty of nice cars, I am a car enthusiast, like gumbo, unkel and others I am as well placed as anyone to compare an ev to a performance ice which I why I can’t take the people with diesel Skodas saying they prefer the driving experience of an ice seriously!

I am no ev evangelist but I have 4 years experience now as well as 20 years experience of sporty ice cars. Disinformation annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Ev fan

It is a fact that the EV market is growing quite rapidly across a lot of markets. With continuing very large investments in EV battery production and development, EVs will continue to get cheaper with higher energy batteries. This will entice more and more people (certainly not all) to buy EVs. This rapidly developing market is one that Toyota does not participate meaningfully in. Instead they use "weasel word marketing campaigns like "self charging hybrids" and increasing line ups of "electrified" cars. They continue to argue against full EVs as being a solution to CO2 emissions but of course their air polluting petrol charging hybrids are the answer. They talk a big game on their new solid state batteries but are very coy about timelines for introduction and intro dates seem to continue to be pushed out to the late 2020s'. Toyota are a very large company with a lot of resources some of which they should be rapidly deploying in EV development. Shame on them.

In fairness to Toyota they use their mild hybrids batteries to keep the ICE running its most economical regime. Which is quite smart. Especially for people who will never have a home charger, or want one.

EV's are lovely to drive. I'll take it for 95% of my daily driving. But the dynamics are compromised by all that weight. for that 5% of where I can enjoy it, a good (the majority are dull) manual ICE is different experience dynamically. That said all of people confuse that with performance.

Both the ICE and EV markets are in flux. Rather than all the doom and gloom, its an opportunity to take advantage of it.

the point of this tread was why EVs are depreciating more than ic cars. The reasons have been well established for this.

i assumed we were all car enthusiasts here, although I must say there is nothing worse to drive really than a modern car of any type, they are all fairly fast, comfy, but utterly turgid yokes.

I dunno something like the new Lotus Emira is by all accounts a great car. GT86, GTI UP, things like that.

Even something like a new Golf, or Astra, would run rings around my old Mk2 GTI. Performance, Brakes AND dynamics.

• Advertisement

i don’t think anything has been well established,it would be like going back 18months and saying evs don’t depreciate at all, the market is correcting at the moment but from what i can see in the main it’s the normal depreciation curve on new cars be they ice or ev unless there has been price adjustments up or down in the interim / changes to grants .

We are discussing the present and possibly immediate future. It’s no big deal. I bought a nearly new diesel in ‘17 in the uk when diesel residuals were on the floor. It lost 9k in 6 years after and was a great buy. I think a s/h EV might be a great buy at the moment for those for whom they suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

They're fast in a straight line, and out of the bends.

It should be noted however that if you drive and EV hard it empties the battery significantly faster than it would driving economically. This has influenced my driving style since I bought a Leaf.

I can get from Raheny to Swords using about 5% of the battery if I drive economically. If I drive hard, it uses over 10%

I get ICE cars do this too, however in an EV I see a number 1-100 for my fuel, in an ICE I just see a needle.

I rarely have a reason to drive fast and/or hard everywhere.

Least economical run I do is a fast run down the motorway with the heat on on a cold day. Occasionally a spirited drive on back roads.

But then I could just plug in when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

Perhaps if EV manufacturers replaced the battery percentage with a traditional needle, it would eliminate range anxiety😀?

Although EV range anxiety only seems to exist for non EV owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

In fairness we're talking about the Leaf here and those of us who own one know all the real range anxiety. If you haven't already try one.

The Leaf is particularly inefficient at higher speeds and seems to be designed primarily to operate best under 90kph. Anything over that and consumption rockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

As an EV owner of almost a year now, I think it takes a long time to get comfortable with long journeys to different locations. Now thats not a use case that not everyone has to consider, so it shouldn't really apply to everyone's decision making but it does. Dublin to Cork or Cork to Dublin is easy now as the infra supports it, very small bit of planning and its not an issue at all. Other locations do require more planning and it has taken me that almost 12 months to do those drives comfortably, mainly because I now trust the cars tech to tell me what I need and the esb ecars app in particular for being accurate about 1. A charger being in service and 2. if its occupied or not and of course its speed.

I think you need a few range indicators.

Worst at current usage.

Best at more economical usage.

Etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Redfox25

An accurate trip planner would be better than any guess/indicator.

The Tesla one is pretty spot on, not sure about other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,912 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Tesla one lies to me. Constantly tells me I'll get back with 2% when we both know it's going to be 1% or less :)

Post edited by josip on

• Advertisement

If it gets you home without running out, I count that as a win. One of the lads in work has an ioniq 5 and gives out that the trip computer is way off. Not sure as I haven't driven one or used one.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Ah to be fair its almost always spot on, and if you know its 2% your going to take it handy anyway..

Isn't there a trip planner for EVs in Google maps. Or is that US only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Garzard

I will say for myself while I love the effortless, quiet driving nature of EV's especially on my regular Donegal - Dublin round trip, a huge part of me does miss the ruggedness of a manual ICE such as the 2.0 diesel Mk7 Golf the OH used to have. I can only speak for the Leaf here and know a lot of it is just in my own head, but it just feels much more delicate in comparison vs that Golf, which loved a bit of hard, fast driving, and well able for the "abuse". I treat the Leaf carefully and to get the most range out of it, but I miss the type of driving engagement that the Golf had.

Ah Jaysis driving engagement of a 4 pot vag diesel ? Really ??

Mk7 has a decent chassis. Not sure why so many only focus on poweweerrr.

Surely you would concede anything will be more engaging than a lardy suv/car with a boot full of batteries and an electric motor. 😆

If you get a slow poke ev then sure, lots of choice so why take the slow option?

Guess we all must own EVs like Rimac Nevera, price being no object....

• Advertisement

If you have one, fair play.

Plenty of nippy evs out there but you can ignore that and be "smart" instead.

Advertisement