Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual leave

• 17-12-2023 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello I just started new job last week I'm just wondering am I entitled to 2 weeks hoildays in first year with company I work 5 days 8 to 10 hours days thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kitsy13

Your entitled to 20 days annual leave statutory, good luck with the job

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Whatadope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭blackbox

As far as I know you need to build up that entitlement month by month.

I.e. you are not entitled to take the holidays a week after you joined the company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Generally speaking you earn leave at a certain number of days or part there of on a monthly or weekly basis. And usually most people take their annual holidays before they have actually earned them, meaning say for instance you might take more days off in your summer holidays that you'd actually have earned up to that point, but it all evens out over the year. The only hiccup would be if say you were to take four weeks off in May and then decide to resign in June, you'd most likely find the unearned part of your four week holiday would be taken out of your final pay cheque. And of course the opposite is also true if you had untaken holidays when you decide to move on to another employer - they might pay out your untaken holidays or require you to take them before you leave.

Also check your employment contract, handbook or ask you employer or colleagues as to how many days you actually have, it may be the statutory minimum or more depending on the employer. Also check out if your employer requires you to take leave at certain times of the year or in certain blocks. For instance, they might close their business between Christmas and New Year and require you to take holidays during the period they are closed. Likewise they might have a requirement that you take a minimum block of annual leave for security purpose.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kitsy13

I think it's 8 percent of your time served, depends on your employers flexibility on taking leave, if your doing a good job they can be nice to you and bend the rules ie if ya wanna go to spain for two weeks before the entitlement kicks in most employers will be happy to keep you there ..make sure to check out all the other things your entitled to as per employment contract and all the best in the new job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, are you asking this in relation to holidays during the upcoming festive period or a year from date you started?

if your company is closed for two weeks during the festive period, you will not have accrued enough leave entitlement to be paid for two weeks so soon after starting, so you may only be paid for up to two days during that period.

If you are talking about a year from when you started, you will be entitled to the statutory minimum which in your case would be 4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,096 ✭✭✭893bet

If you are asking if you are entitled to 2 weeks holiday in the first year (Ie 2023) then no. You will be taking unpaid leave over the Xmas period.

If not working a standard 39 hr week then you get 8 percent of hours worked

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Ted222

You’re a full time employee so you’re entitled to at least 20 days leave. Your leave entitlement should be expressed in your contract of employment, which your employer is obliged to give you.

Generally, annual leave can be taken at a time agreed with the employer.

Advertisement