Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda CX-5 Money Pit..... keep going or cut losses

• 18-12-2023 9:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Daughter does 25Km a year, has 2016 4WD 2.2D Mazda CX-5 180Km, suits her down to the ground as its an automatic and she has a horsebox, but we are just should never have bought it.

Cost price €12K, have spent close to another €3k on the below.

Have replaced

• Back suspension L & R control arms changed
    • Engine Decarb
    • Cam shaft and worn tappets replaced

Turbo rattling on it now, another potential €2k.

Do we keep going with it or try and get rid of it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

A really nice looking 2016 mid sized diesel SUV 4wd automatic with 180kms for €12k. That's a smashing bargain. I can see why you bought it.

But, here's the kicker.

There's a known design issue with the Mazda 2.2D of that era. Its to do with the DPF and a fault that allows oil come into the engine chamber and causes Camshaft/tappet failure.

It sounds like your car has been another victim.

The rear suspension is just wear & tear, 180k km's, and its a 4WD with a towbar, not too surprising really.

The turbo rattle wouldn't bother me unnecessarily.

What would I do in your case??

Well the DPF issue is fixable by removing/deleting the DPF and that 's what I would do. (ask an independent Garage for a quote its probably about a grand) Then you should have a great car for many miles.

Post edited by bcklschaps on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

DPF deletes are only a couple 100 quid, including software mapping which is the vital part when deleting the DPF.

But yeah, scrap the DPF, you'll have no end to your troubles if you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That engine is a disaster and has a major design flaw that results in many needing to be rebuilt or replaced. Deleting or removing the DPF won't prevent it.

OP, your daughter did well to run that car to 180k without it imploding so if I were her and she has the money, I'd get shot of it now while it's running and still worth a few quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They say the cheapest car is the one you have,but in the case of the Mazda 2.2, I wouldn't be convinced. Maybe get the bare minimum done and flog it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭littlevillage

As others have said, there is a well known issue with that diesel engine. Plenty of discussion around it on the Internet and even here on other threads on boards.

I was in the market for exactly that type of car in 2021, mid sized diesel 4wd SUV and noticed the diesel CX-5's were often absolute bargains. The petrol CX-5 was far more expensive which got my curiosity antenna up. Glad I steered clear now.

Maybe have a chat to a trusted mechanic and see if the DPF removal/delete really does solve the problem.... otherwise you need to get it fixed up some sort of way and out the gate. Bye bye!!

Otherwise imagine your daughter is towing her horsebox and she has a breakdown on a busy road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Thanks for all the answers, she is thinking about trading it in but there seems to be little or no interest, which is understandable.

As above the camshaft has been replaced but the new issue is that the turbo has worn bushes causing noise and the car to go into limp mode every so often, if the car was to be remapped, is it the case that we could end up having to get a whole new engine should the turbo have a catastrophic failure ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

"...if the car was to be remapped, is it the case that we could end up having to get a whole new engine should the turbo have a catastrophic failure ?"

Short answer is yes, there's a reason it was such a "bargain".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

Is an engine rebuild that expensive and also will replacement parts be more reliable than the original parts ? I.e can you iron out the design flaws ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Done calculations and mileage is going to be 40Km a year and that's asking a lot for the Mazda to keep up with that kind of mileage. If the car was to be used by someone doing 15Km a year I do believe that it would be well worth while putting the money into it but not for us, so the Mazda is advertised with faulty turbo up on DoneDeal for handy money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Hope it shifts quick, wise to walk away even if the cost does sting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Firblog

Yeah, have to agree, OH had one that engine went in TWICE - out of 16mths got using it for 2 or 3, in getting repaired / laid up the rest of the time, arguing with garage & mazda over who was paying for what, after last repair she got rid of it to the garage that had repaired it. Saw it for sale in independent dealers - touting FSH, and 6mth warranty with last repair.

Advertisement