Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Router - 5GHz & 2.4GHz

Options
  • 18-12-2023 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

When I check my router, I note I have both speeds enabled, but the networks have the same name. In this case, do devices try to connect at the higher speed and, if they fail, go for the lower one.

I assume this is what happens as, for example, I have an Audio Pro C5A which can only connect to 2.4Ghz networks, and it works fine.

However, I have a number of Calex home devices (bulbs and smart plugs) and suddenly one is complaining that it can't connect to 2.4Ghz.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There's a setting on my router where you can either have two distinct wifi networks, one for each frequency, or you can have them combined in a single hotspot. So your devices will either see 2 wifi networks or just one. I'd say you'd be better off having them separated. I don't see the advantaged in having them combined. Your bulbs will only see the 2.5ghz hotspot then where your phone will see both the 2.5Ghz and the 5ghz. You'll have to go into the router settings to change this.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Vodafone blocked the ability to rename the networks on the app or the router login page, I assume to sell some extender product.

There's a pretty straightforward process to enable it though. You navigate to the router page, go to WiFi tab, right click and click inspect, then search the code and - "you will see something like "h3-content split_ssid no-padding-bottom" style="Display: disabled;" change "disabled" to "Enable" and then split wifi should be enable again (until you refresh the page)"

You should then see the network split as 2.4 and 5ghz.

More here below.

Advertisement