Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help appreciated. Accepted a job offer over an email and now second job offered

• 19-12-2023 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

So, two months ago, a job offer was made over email by the HR of a home care company, summarising key details such as number of working hours, salary, etc. I accepted the offer in a reply email back to the HR. In the next few days I had provided medical fitness cert from my gp, references and garda vetting all of which I had cleared.

I have been waiting since to get a 'contract' or official formal letter since, and I haven't.

Because of the stretch in time, I interviewed for another job, and got an offer. So at this point, I want to withdraw from the first job offer which I no longer want and wish to withdraw the offer.

Can anyone please advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I don't see any issue with that at all. Your in limbo, fire ahead and accept the new job. Wait until everything is signed with the new place before telling the other one you have accepted another job just to keep your options open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Don't withdraw until you either have a signed contract with your new job. How do you know the new company aren't going to do the same thing?

Once you have signed the contract, then it's just a simple "Unfortunately, I am no longer available to take up this position". They wouldn't hesitate to drop you in the reverse case.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Vrinda

I dont want to keep the first job offer as an option at all. In fact, I want it out of way and do so legally, can anyone advice? Because I accepted offer over email. But, I havent worked yet, as no offical start date or contract was signed.

You're not doing anything wrong if you want out of it. Sure even if you had signed and started you just have to give the legal minimum notice(1 week).

Do I need to withdraw or resign?

I haven't signed a contract yet but only accepted the offer via email, so there's no contract.

Do I need to give one week notice then?

• Advertisement

Send an email to whoever you are talking to, no you do not need to give any notice.

"

Hi X

I am no longer available and wish to withdraw from the hiring process.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Kind regards,

X

"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Rustyman101

As above sign the new contract with the company you want to go then, polite no longer available to first company.

Go with your gut and don't look back, no sentiment in business!

Thanks everyone for your input. I have emailed politely about my wishing to withdraw from the job offer ( without going into specifics) more or less above format. Hopefully they wont hassle me. Thanks again, your replies were helpful

As long as it wasn't the French foreign legion you'll be fine. Feet up and have a nice evening :)

Thanks so much 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Legally you don’t have anything to withdraw from, you haven’t started in the job, they haven’t given you a contract, you haven’t signed anything. And if they haven’t been in contact for two months, I’d be less than certain about their job offer. Carry on with your new job, don’t bother with the first place until they contact you, then tell them that it was unacceptable to not communicate with you for such a long period, or, don’t even bother replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

And even if you had signed a contract, dont show up on the first day... what are they going to do?

They could sue you, but no company is gonna want the hassle / bad publicity, especially as you have not heard anything in 2 months (they wudnt have a leg to stand on)..

Thanks everyone . An update. the company actually replied to me back and from sound of their email haven't accepted formally - my withdrawal. They have actually offered me alternatives in terms pay, shift times, all of which Id refuse again but I do feel like to be careful here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

This! There isn't really anything for them to accept tbh. There is no contract signed, they have left you in limbo for 2 months, you were still waiting for formal agreement and contract etc. so you are still unemployed. You have done nothing wrong at all, best of luck with the second job application, relax and enjoy your Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Either you're way overthinking this, or there's important information you're leaving out. Why do you think they have to formally accept anything? Why do you think you have to be careful?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭munsterfan2

We've had people just not come back after lunch on first day as they received a better job. Sh@t happens, everyone carries on with life, no hassle legal or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You're way overthinking this.

You owe them nothing.

If you have no interest in working there ever, just ignore.

You've told them you're not available.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If you were looking for a job and they haven't given you a contract in 2 months they can hardly expect you to wait around and not look elsewhere. You haven't started working there or signed anything. Congratulations on getting a job you much prefer and enjoy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

You have nothing to worry about. It's quite common for a company to get back with a better offer re terms and conditions if they think you sound like a good candidate for a job. I don't understand why you're in such a state over this. You cannot be sued or hounded or blacklisted or anything else as a result of changing your mind about a job. Are you from overseas by any chance? Is it that way in your own country, that you can be in some kind of legal trouble? Don't worry, that's not the case in Ireland. Best of luck with the other job, hope it all goes ahead and that you'll be happy there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

If there's no contract, there's no obligation on either side. You don't even have to tell them you are no longer interested, although it would be polite to do so.

But as someone else said, don't contact them until you have signed the contract for the new job, just in case - after if you said yes to their job, it would be sensible to keep the option open even if you don't want it.

In all probability nothing will happen now until the new year anyway, and either of them could change their mind, just as you seem to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You said you told them you wished to withdraw as if you needed their permission, and now you sound concerned that they haven't accepted your withdrawal.

You don't need their permission to withdraw. It doesn't matter if they do or don't accept your withdrawal.

Frankly if I was left dangling for 2 months I wouldn't even be polite about this to them, but if you wish to be polite then still just remember that they have zero hold on you and you do not need their permission for a single thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Just thank them politely for their offer, thanks but no thanks, you are no longer available.

Thanks so much. Spot on about my fears but more on my current state am residing for over a decade here and therefore I tread carefully as I don't want to jinx anything ( as in, if I ever am seeking work in that company in future, but highly unlikely though) In previous countries I resided, wouldn't have been a problem at all. I do feel like I have let them down. Also its too tedious I find here in terms of paper work. Never Did I have had to wait this long for a job that I had accepted. I don't understand why It's not straightforward here. You probably know better.Thanks for pointing out my fears, and instantly comforting words after. Ill try not to think to much into it and politely refuse,one more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,033 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's no point trying to refuse before they offer you an actual contract with a start date: they are not going to hear what you say.

So just go about your life. If they ever offer you a contract with a start date, think about your situation at that time a decide what to do then. Not now.

Thanks, I did send a reply again politely confirming my decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

You can’t resign on a job you haven’t even started

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Never Did I have had to wait this long for a job that I had accepted.

Vrinda love, if you've lived here for over a decade, you should know what we're like by now :) we don't have much of a sense of urgency about most things - I'd say it's just the fact that Christmas is coming and a lot of places do the bare minimum in December, between Christmas work parties, Christmas drinks, taking longer lunches to get some shopping done, generally not being too bothered. Everyone starts to wind down at this time of year. You wouldn't be starting this job until the new year, so the admin staff are in no hurry to get the paperwork done.

Anyway, have a nice Christmas break and wish you and yours all the best for a happy, healthy 2024 :))

Thank you, I know what you mean, probably that was it. And same to you, have a lovely break and happy new year :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement