Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festive500 2023

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ticking along on a decent day for cycling today, 130kms ✅.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Had loose thoughts about doing this - 47km on the turbo on the 24th and 70km yesterday (dull and verrrry cold down here in Kerry)

This fecking storm Geritt now though means indoor only for the next 2 days.

That fellow above that did it in one day - nuts. What about one of the guys out to do a lap with him - wearing shorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We were wearing shorts on Saturday! Was 12°C

Another 75km on turbo this morning. Once I get something done I'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

But sure he did it before the challenge even started

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

96 today. Felt like 196. Lashings of rain and wind. At least it wasn't cold. My Garmin is screaming at me the last 3 days to recover. There'll be smoke coming out of it if I go again tomorrow! 😁

Gonna pay for all these 90's though.. Means a 120 day to make it up

• Advertisement

I feel your pain Fat Bloke , knocked out 115km myself & it felt way harder than I expected. Wind, rain & messy roads no help but a 23km tailwind home to blue skies helped at the finish.

321/500 done, hard work is done now.

Also I’ve gone over 16k km for YTD now, chuffed.

Post edited by dahat on

408/500 done.

Group ride & Crit race on Zwift today as was just fed up of the wind and washing the bike.

Ill finish it off tomorrow in style as I’m planning a 5hr route later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Something wrong with your maths I think 😁

Another century today. Manky starting out but just got nicer and nicer and turned 8 into a grand day in the end. Dried out enough for a coffee stop and then a tailwind home.

Leaves me with 3 days to do the last 103km.should that manage that tomorrow, then one last wash and I can hang the bike up til 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Won’t get out on NY’s Eve, so 150k between tomorrow and Saturday. Going to be close!

A freezing, soaking ride around Kildare and Laois this morning has me at 340km.

Travelling tomorrow but might squeeze in an hour in the evening.

Then hopefully the weather plays ball on NYE for a finish.

OMG. That concludes my cycling for 2023.

Today was supposed to be the "nice" day. 1% chance of rain accuweather app promised me. Instead we got soaked through in the first hour and a half and were frozen with the cold the rest of it. 5 started out and after 40k there was only 2 of us left! Toughed it out anyway and in the end twas grand. Sandwich, coffee and a bit flog drying in the Hollywood cafe and then a tailwind home and a last dying wasp-sting in the tail shower on the way. But by then we knew we had it beat.

Including my doesn't-count 23rd spin, that's 600k over 7 days. Christ I'd nearly be happy with that if I was in Mallorca for a week.

Festive 500 ticked off after today’s spin. O only needed less than 100km but had planned for a decent spin so ended up with 5hrs on tje road today. A cold day but escaped any bad weather but two flats in the last hour soured things a bit.

I’d love to tell ye I’ll rest up now but that won’t happen until New Year’s Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

90k today to make it 502km - Festive 500 in the bag. All done on Zwift so not same as road miles I suppose.

I did ride 22nd and 23rd Dec though and 135km covered. Plus 9.5km Trial walk with the dogs 9 outa the 10 days. So few beers earned regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Over for another year.. well done everyone!

135km on the menu for me tomorrow if I’m going to get across the line this year

G'wan dude. Go for it.

Or do like my mate suggested and stop at 499.99km, for the laugh 😁

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

Piggish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I had a friend one year that did a 30km on New Years Eve to get over 10000km for the year. There was some algorithm issue with Garmin and Strava though, he did exactly what he needed to get over the 10k, but for whatever reason Strava saw it as a shorter ride and left him on 9999km. Someone spotted it on his Strava and he was going up and down the road at 9pm on NYE

Any post-challenge regret going around after this? I was so sick of getting wet and sick of washing the bike that I didn't touch it again from the 29th Dec until today, despite the weather being grand during the week. Did 110k today and was absolutely useless, hadnt a bleedin' leg, as they say.

'Tis worse I'm improving 😩

NOt for me. I’m usually pretty motivated come January but my cycling is always sporadic through the spring as I go back playing footie and hurling

I don’t have any cycling-related goals at the minute which is also an issue as it could fall by the wayside

Advertisement