Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overpaying a mortgage

Options
  • 20-12-2023 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi, we're moving our mortgage to AIB and they say we can "overpay" by 5000 per year. We are thankfully in a position to do this so I'd like to. However the rate we are moving to is a fixed rate for 5 years and their website says that if we overpay the term stays the same and instead our monthly repayments reduce to reflect the extra we paid.

I cannot wrap my head around whether this is a good thing or not. I'd like to pay off early if I could but this doesn't seem like it will help me get there. Is overpaying by this amount for 5 years and then remortgaging for a lower amount the same thing as just overpaying to reduce the term?

Thanks in advance for helping me understand the logic here.

Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement