Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"average Dublin house prices should fall to ‘the €300,000 mark" according to Many Lou McD.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

As I predicted stick up a question and doesn't matter what the answer is go after the person. Pathetic

Sad little keyboard warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭kaymin

He's deserving of ridicule - he couldn't manage to save anything while living at home during covid - instead he squandered it on labels, new cars and foreign travel. Now he just complains and blames everyone else. He seems incapable to taking responsibility for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,060 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Some footage from the Sinn Fein Ard Fheis...

Glazers Out!

His story has holes in it is why people gave up, he got plenty of good advice and then started off about trips to NY etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Touched a nerve I see. You've spent pages of the thread sneering at some poor fella working two jobs........................

That's fine. But it is equally fine to ask questions of someone sneering at him and giving it the whole "Why don't you do like I did". When in reality - as I suspected - their "wealth" and circumstances is not just a function of how hard they imagine they worked.

\

Mate, thousands of you across the web, not even smart enough to come up with a question that I couldn't see a million miles away. Even more embarrassing you came back and done exactly what I said you would do.

"sneering at some poor fella working two jobs".....I think you should do a little research into the person you are talking about, small bit of advice.

Also I suggest you look into a certain group called "Sinn Fein Online Supporters"

Then read back over the posts and how the person in question story is not coherent. Then go onto other pages and you will find a similar version spun. Maybe you wil link the dots, most people have, I could make a guess but lets leave it as a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Have a look at that poster's profile, their comments and threads.

No need to be a plus one at the pity party.

I don't really care about that poster. It is perfectly legitimate to ask for a little bit of information from the condescending know-it-all giving it the "work for it the same as I did" when it is likely that that is not the case in reality.

As you can see from their subsequent posts, it appears my point was quite on the mark. After they spent pages on the thread pis$ing on the difficulties facing the younger generation today, they respond with "sad little keyboard warriors" to a simple, and perfectly legitimate question. I'm not asking for how much they earn, or how much their house is. Just the multiple of their take-home pay that would be equal to the equity in their house. If they tell me that it is "10" then the numbers could be 10k vs 100k, or 1m vs 10m. I suspect the actual number is nearer to 20.

Their response to the question tells us that it was a little close to the bone. I'm not criticising them at all so there is no need for them to take their offence - merely pointing out that their current circumstances likely owe a lot to timing and luck. I am not saying they didn't work at all or anything of the sort. Just that there was likely more to their circumstance than that work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pretty sure he deserves all the sneering he gets when he posts nonsense like above.

"I have no debt, but I cant save enough for a deposit...meanwhile I also went on 3 holidays last year and and am annoyed that I cant do my Christmas shopping in NYC as usual".

Not to mention the notion that you save on food any drink by being abroad, only if you shop like a numpty in Ireland is that true.

Well even if he does pi$$ it away like a fool, it is unlikely that the proffered advice of restricting himself to 2-300 quid a month living expenses is how the advisors ended up in their current situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,004 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah yeah of course there is. And even if he is pi$sing it away, it doesn't take from the fact that there would be plenty on that sort of money who scrimp and save but their target of buying a house is moving away from them faster than they can move towards it.

Nonsense advice along the lines of "just give up the avocados. I never ate an avocado in my 20's and that's the only reason why I managed to end up in a house worth 800k. You could do it too if you just tried as hard as I did" etc. is just that - nonsense. Nobody is begrudging anything or anyone here in saying that. It is just pointing out that there were other factors at play, which might not be available to the younger generation today. People have to be honest and recognise that. So you can't compare.

I would wager that of the people who own homes today in their 40, far more of them scrimped and saved than those that had "other factors".

The problem is people like you and BillyRay don't want to hear that. You want there to be excuses. You want someone else to blame. That way its not your fault for not growing up in time.

Your argument relies on the fact that someone has done well out of rising prices, but you are ignoring the fact that they still had to buy that first house to get on the ladder. Sure it might be worth 800K now (a tiny percentage btw) but they still had to save to pay the deposit and probably 10% stamp duty on that 300K starter house on a much lower salary than the equivalent person is on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

300 a month = 75 a week.

You can eat like a king for €30. So you've €45 to play with.

Maybe it's a little extreme.

He could live off 1600 a month, times 12 that's 19,200.

Let's say €800 a month covers rent and bills. Then you've €200 a week to spend and maybe save for holidays.

So that's leaves 20,800 savings a year from 40,000. 2.5 or 3 years he has a deposit.

I have no excuses, nor want any. I have my own house. Built and paid for with cash (i.e. savings, not wads of money). I don;t think I need your advice - but thanks for offering.

If you are another of these spoofers who claim "I worked my way for what I have in life" ..... but where the numbers don't exactly add up.... then that's fine. That is not to say that you didn't work, or that you didn't work hard. It's just an acknowledgement that there were other factors in play. There is no point in pretending that the other person can reproduce your results just by working.

That's the problem that people like you don't want to hear. You want to live in your own perception bubble. The other poster lost their sh1t when I asked them a simple question. Because they didn't want to give the answer. They can come back tomorrow and make up a fake answer if they want. But their reaction is telling.

BillyRay can do what he likes. He can give up his holidays and save an extra grand a year. I don't really care. You can advise him to give up avocados as well as being the solution to the housing market. You can ignore the structural problems that are basically a wealth transfer from the already poorer to the already wealthier.

Are you retired already yourself? 30's or 40's?

FIRE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Agree totally what you’re saying, we built our own house in 2001 and the wife worked full time and I worked full time and a part time job and farmed as well flat to the board, we moved in 2002 to a bed room and bathroom and kitchen completed and over the next two years finished the house and made lots of sacrifices as you say with no holidays or crazy life style. In 2021 the mortgage was paid off with a lot of hard work and now our kids have started college. If you want something in life you go get yourself and if you think Marylou is going to give you a leg up, you need to get some white powder to keep the fantasy going, all she wants is a United ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Is Mary Louise still wearing the Wef badge?

I prefer not to say. Why does it matter?

I edited my post anyway to €1600 a month (19200 a year) to cover expenses and saving 20,800 a year.

What other factors were in play?

That I had 1 working parent? That we went on caravan holidays in the south of Ireland for my entire childhood? That I went to local free school? That I went to free college? That I got a good degree and thus a good job? That I got stung for 10% stamp duty on my first house after saving everything until I could afford it with my partner doing the same?

Interested to hear how you paid for your house in cash btw. Did you sell one of your high horses perhaps?

Sure there are problems with the housing market, but someone like Billy isn't suffering because of that, their problem is that the housing market is exposing their immaturity when it comes to finances and budgeting. They are spending like someone on twice their salary and then wonder why they cant afford a nice 3 bed in the capital city where they are competing against people who actually are earning twice as much and are saving four times as much again.

If Mary Lou waved her magic wand tomorrow poor Billy still wouldnt be able to buy a 300K house because he spends his salary like he is a 12 year old getting their pocket money, but yeah, the housing market is the only problem.

Why the deflection? Why try to attack the poster? Why not say something about the point they actually made? Why so defensive Donald?

I was just interested. You appeared to be advocating an aggressive strategy along the line of FIRE. If you practiced what you preach in your 20's and 30's, the theory would be that you'd be able to retire in your 40's. You just need to be strict with that austere lifestyle for those years.

The problem in this country is that we see people advocating for that lifestyle, not to retire early, but to get a foot on the property ladder before they hit 40.

I don't think he was attacking me.

Just trying to make point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

If you're spending nearly 2k a month as a single person, including 3 holidays a year, there's plenty of scope to save. Or you can have a pity party.

One option is more likely to allow you to buy a home. Even Pearse would guess which one correctly.

That's not ignoring that many people don't earn enough to save and that many will struggle to meet the basic cost of living. They're not worrying about Christmas shopping in New York, Canada Goose jackets and the year on their registration plate though.

I had to Google "FIRE". Financial independence retire early.

I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be unless you really hate your job.

Sense of purpose is important.

It can be good to save money and then do something you really love but doesn't make a lot of money maybe.

I always thought it'd be cool to open an indie cinema with a little cafe.

Dingle cinema was on sale for 1.5m recently, which seems too much.

Save the childhood stuff for the shrink.

The other factors I'm talking about are the factors that push property up, and the timing and relative luck of circumstances.

Let me give you an extreme example to explain the concept. And this is not because I am making an analogy. It is simply to explain the concept. I visited a friend in SF last about 5 years ago. It came up at the time that the house that my friend's other friend grew up in there - a basic bog standard house not too far from the centre, was worth over $4m. His mother lived alone in it as his father died when he was very young. I don't know what his father did but his mother was a school teacher and reared him and his brother on her own.

The reason it came up was the son was looking to buy a house and wanted to come back to that area to be close to his mother who is now elderly. He is graduate level educated and has his own business and makes a lot of money. The houses are still at the limit of what he was able to spend. Again, this is an extreme example, but if we transfer the boards.ie logic across, you'd have retired teachers lecturing him "why don't you give up avocados and work hard like me. I have this house worth $4m because I worked hard. If you really wanted to live on this street you could - if you just put in the effort and got a teaching job like I did".

Nobody is doubting that that woman did not work hard. But it would be ludicrous to suggest that a teacher starting out today in SF could work hard and own that house. Other factors - along with her hard work - led to a scenario where she owns a $4m property.

Now, I will repeat myself again, I am not comparing SF to Dublin or anywhere in Ireland. I am using it as an example to explain the concept. Because it is probably easier for some to process it when it is foreign rather than local (due to being somewhat in denial about the local situation)

• Advertisement

Yeah I wasn't attacking you. Genuinely asking as what you were advocating was along the lines of the FIRE movement. It's not really known about here but you get people who claim to be living by it over in the US. Advising your man to keep his monthly discretionary and living expenses below 1% of his income would be fairly severe.

I can see how you can do it though over there. You can live and work in an expensive city there. You wages will be high, but your expenses would also be high. However you will get more bang for your buck by aggressively cutting the expenses. i.e if you are in NY on a 250k salary and you can cut your expenses from say 50% to 30% of your income, that 50k extra savings will go a long way if you leave it invested for 10 years and then go somewhere else. Whereas if you are in some sh1thole on 60k a year and you make the same cut, you only have an extra 12k to use. Which might not be worth the hassle.

Advertisement