Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice - working on my mothers house over Xmas

• 20-12-2023 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I'm back from the states and helping my mother with her house in Donegal. She just bought it and its a grand house but there are a few issues with it that I could use some advice on. Her attic has shag all insulation in it. I have rolls of insulation coming and I'm going to roll them out. While I was up there I noticed a leak around the back wall. I actually am pretty sure there are two leaks - one from the chimney flashing or the slates in that area and a separate leak one from two pipes. I rented a cherry picker to investigate the back of the chimney today and the flashing looks OK from a quick inspection. I found a Donegal roofer who might come over xmas to have a look. I think he needs to pull up a few of the slates around the chimney and check the flashing around it.

2) The second issue is there is two copper pipes kind of on there own there. The water tank, kitchen, bathrooms, etc are all down the other end of the house. The only thing I can think of is these might be the pipes from an old back boiler? My mother has been putting on a fire or two since shes been living there. Could water in a back boiler steam up and flow up to the attic and run out? My mother got a plumber in and it looks like he might of capped the ends of them? Honestly Im trying to get in contact with the plumber and find out what he did. I suppose my feeling is - can you just cap off two lines like that from an old back boiler?

3) Another question I have is I have been in alot of attics in the states and Ive never seen an attic where the entire roof is supported just by the rafters on the wall plate. You typically have a much more substantial truss system. Maybe this is because the walls here are thicker and made from stone and block. I suppose what Im asking is should I reinforce the roof? Or should I make a few connections from the roof to the ceiling joists? Just to be clear the roof is not sagging and looks good.

Thank you for any advice and I hope all of you get a chance to have a restful xmas.

Tim

Advertisement