Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm inheritance

Options
  • 20-12-2023 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

My uncle passed away last week and left the farm and homestead to me—roughly 38 acres in North Galway.

I have no farming experience and will look to lease it out for at least 7 years.

I am one of the executors of the will and so had the first meeting with the solicitors last week.

After Xmas, I will need to speak to a Farm adviser and Farm tax inheritance consultant.

As nobody is living on the farm, I am looking to get security cameras installed.

Would appreciate it if there is any advice that I could use. It's a pretty new situation for me. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭893bet

big tax bill unless you can qualify for agricultural relief for inheritance from an uncle. There is the thing called a “favourite nephew” also.

Farm tax cosultant is the way to go.

Is there a house that you are putting in camera? Get the house rented (though if he was a bachelor it might not be livable ) and the land leased and forget the camera. Camera only stop an honest man same as a lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Benji20122012

Probate has to be completed first I believe before the farm and house can be rented

I dont think so but rent accrues to the deceased estate rather than to you so may not be worth the hassle of you arranging.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Primary focus for you is lowering or eliminating any tax bill. So good advice from professionals needed in that area.

If you want a remote camera, that can operate without electricity on a solar panel, check our Reolink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

I think if you do inherit under AG relief (to reduce CAT) means you wont be able to rent out for 6 years or they will clawback the relief? You need to be classed as an active farmer or young trained famer for any ag relief?

Isn't there something new in or coming in regarding land you just acquired (maybe its just on purchased land)......you cant rent it tax free unless its owned for 7 years or something? ...may not apply to OP though.

Poster above is totally correct though imo, first order of business is reducing any tax liability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Agri Relief is a separate thing to the favourite nephew relief.

Favourite nephew relief is to have the inheritance considered under the group A inheritance threshold (i.e. the op be considered a child of his uncle for inheritance purposes and get the much higher inheritance tax threshold)

Agri relief is where the farm value is reduced by 90% and only that 10% is considered for tax purposes.

The op could qualify for neither, one or both. If he wasn’t involved in farming with his uncle then it’s probably unlikely to qualify for the favourite nephew relief but he needs proper advise.

leasing land long term to a suitable farmer can be a means to qualify for the agri relief, though there are many other things that need to be taken into account also.

Yes two seperate options that could work independently or in unison to reduce/eliminate tax liability.

Suggest some reading and googling around around “favourite nephew”, “inheritance thresholds” and “agricultural inheritance tax relief” and then meet the advisor when you have a basic understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭cal naughton

I was in a similar situation to the op i didn't qualify for ag relief as i had no green cert so if the farm is making a profit for the previous 3 years you might qualify for business relief which will also give a 90 % write down of the value. The thing is you cannot lease it out for six years so you will have to stock it to the minimum and return a profit for the six years to avoid a clawback on the business relief.

The most important thing is a good accountant. I'm also based in North Galway and if you want you can pm me for the name of my lad who was a god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SodiumCooled

There is an option to lease to a trained farmer and avail of agri relief even without the green cert. But it needs to be looked into and to see if all boxes can be ticked.

Asset test is the hardest part. Especially for that size farm.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your comments, I'll take them all on board.

for my own interest, what is the average rent in north Galway per acre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭massey 265

Have outside block on 6 yr lease in north galway.No entitlements ,good land,300 eu per acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Cal above offered help. He's from your area and you should pm him/her.

Yearly?

300euro a year / acre? For a small farm that seems incredibly low even just to cover insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Depending on the land it might be a lot, a profit has to be made by the people farming the ground as well in order to pay it

300 per acre per year? You woukd have more than 11k tax free if done correctly.

Insurance be less than 1k per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's the opposite. Sometimes - if you don't have the Green Cert or equivalent - you would need to rent out to someone qualified in order to avail of the relief

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Just out of interest, what did you think it was worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,826 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would land in that area make that? Surely some of the madness has subsided after this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Sorry for the loss of your uncle by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

The majority of North Galway land wouldn't make the colour of 300/ac, all depends where of course.

What part of North Galway OP?

Are there rushes on it? Any dairy farmers in the locality? As others have said, a good tax advisor could be invaluable to you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The poster said there is a dwelling included with the inherited farm, will this make a difference if they are already own a house..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

Is the dwelling classed as a farm house and therefore increases the value of ag assets making it easier to satisfy 90%?

Or if you already own a house does it get classed as a non-ag asset?

Advertisement