Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonsai

Options
  • 21-12-2023 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there’s ever been a thread on this. Please merge if so.

Got a Bonsai tree from the MIL. Think it’s a Prickly Ash, there was no info with it. It’s also shed a load of leaves so it needs to settle in and hopefully get the watering right before I touch it. Starting to see shapes I like. Japan has the best things to be passionate about. 🇯🇵

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If its a hardy tree - and I am not familiar with Prickly Ash so I don't know, it will not be happy kept in the house. It should be in the same environment as the full size tree. Its already beginning to look a bit stretched, I think you should establish what it is and accommodate it to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

100% agree.

Should be outside!

If you want to get into the hobby check out Peter Chan on youtube. He's rough and ready when it comes to making bonsai from nursery stock but a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Looking happier already. Thanks.

It’s slowly growing, like a tree. My highest maintenance plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I love a bit of bonsai, me! Have raised many (and killed as many - or more!) . I maintain its a great hobby for the lazy gardener as it takes so little time. You look at a tree, decide if you dislike a branch , and then wire it to grow in a specific direction or cut it off. Wait a year or two to see if you like the result. Repeat. There is some root cutting & re-potting to be done every few years. Of course, if you have lots & lots then it gets to be a tiny bit of work (but not all your trees need this at same time).

Lots of info on da web out there, but my tuppence worth:

Bonsai is a style, so any tree can be made into a bonsai. They dont have to be special. I like to make bonsai out of 'normal' outdoor trees that grow well in Ireland (ash, chestnut, beech, oak, etc).

Bonsai can be anything from a few inches to 6 feet tall. Advantages (& disadvantage) to both. Small ones need watering more often (a couple of warm days and they can dry out quite quickly) - the big ones are hard to take out of pot for root trimming! The bigger mass of their pot / root-ball does mean they will hold moisture longer, but they do need a bucket of water every now & again.

Watering is key. Anything in a pot needs extra watering (the rain helps, but it isnt enough). Over or under watering will kill a tree. 90% of my failures are because of watering. Indoor pots / trees are VERY prone to this. So thats why all my bonsais of last 20 years are outdoor. There are some lovely tropical (& sub-tropic) plants I would love to grow but they need to be indoors in this climate and if you miss a watering they drop leaves like a bugger and then Mrs Rider will be on your case - well, maybe not you @Gloomtastic! ;-) …

So long winded way to say, loss of a few leaves is ok. Its prob a watering issue, could even be shock of moving to different house / micro-climate (yup, that happens!) but it looks like it has bounced back. Outdoor trees rule !!!

hope you enjoy your bonsai for years to come

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Picked up another one today in Tesco - €14.99. Bargain!

It’s labelled Zanthoxylum - Chinese Pepper. Looks exactly like my other one (only smaller). And says it’s indoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

if i remember correctly, Ikea do decent bonsai's too …. very big for the price …

Advertisement