Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees for very large garden pots

Options
  • 22-12-2023 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Thinking about getting extra large ceramic garden pots for either side of my front door. We're talking pots that a fully grown adult could squeeze into. Does the extra large size increase the varieties of tree species that I can grow? Would like to grow something that will one day reach a height of 20ft. I know I can grow Japanese maples in much smaller pots so looking for advice regarding what species would suit monster pots?

Any suggestions welcome 😃

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Before you do, what direction does your front door face? If it is due south then it likely will be too warm in the summer and pots - especially ceramic - will dry out very quickly. If its too far north there will not be enough light for any but a very limited range of trees.

I have one of those huge pots - there were two but one had to be abandoned as it would not have survived the house move as it was very slightly cracked. At the moment it is covered with green algae and has a rather sad, large french lavender it in. Its on my to-do list.

A very big pot only marginally improves the scope for tree types (imo), either a tree will either be happy in a pot or not, the size does not make that much difference. I currently have a camellia in a pot in a south(ish) facing area, Camellia Japonica Buttermint, which is in full bloom at the moment and looks lovely. I also have a Magnolia Stellata which does well in a pot or in the garden, my garden was too exposed for it but it is happy in a pot in a more sheltered situation. I also have a pink jasmine on a frame in a pot.

You would probably be ok with one of the smaller ornamental cherries or a slow growing evergreen, but don't try and grow naturally wild trees like oak or ash or beech etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭AmpMan

If you have a few quid you try olive trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Weedy Gonzalez

Thanks for the reply

Front door faces south but is fairly protected from excess sun by large shade trees either side. Pots would get plenty of sun but also shade at certain parts of the day and no evening sun whatsoever.

Would something like an Acer Rebrum outgrow the pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a medium to large garden tree which would be very confined in a pot - you could try it, it might respond to the pot by staying smaller, or it might break the pot, but I wouldn't consider it the best option. If the site is sheltered from wind, and if there is sufficient intermittent shade from the other trees a Japanese Maple might be a better bet. Pieris is another one that does well in a pot and eventually can make a good sized shrub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

In very large pots I have seen Bay Laurel, Olive and Photinia red robin grown as reasonable sized trees and look fairly healthy. I think regular watering and a soil based potting mix would be essential to them staying healthy.

Happy gardening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Acer is what I would be thinking to. The osakazuki variety would do great. (The are very happy in pots) another option is euonymus atlas amazing autum colour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

second time i've suggested this today - if you're in dublin, call out to tully's nurseries near blake's cross.

also, i saw these in dublin city centre (photo taken at the end of may) and thought they looked great. they'd been pine trees last oct, according to google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Weedy Gonzalez

These look amazing. What plant is this do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

Looks like a rhododendron.

Advertisement